Easy & Quick Low-Calorie dinners

Options
So there are nights where I cook dinner just for me and I need some low-calorie recepies that are very quick and easy. I get off work rather late so I don't want to spend forever preparing or standing and cooking a dinner. Oh and I can't eat seafood. Any suggestions?

Replies

• TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast and a vegetable, if you cooked your chicken on Sunday and froze it for the week. Or single serve vegetable pack and a can of chicken with some salsa. Nuke time 5 minutes.

Can of black beans (low sodium, rinsed) and salsa, or Kidney beans....

protein powder and frozen fruit...smoothie

That is what I do any way.
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A protein and a carb, that is what I look for; a meat and a vegetable or a protein powder and a fruit.
  • yourradimradletshug
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you!
  • brendajs
    brendajs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Great post! I would be interested as well since it's just me also!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Vegetable omelet. It's my go-to if I get home really late and am cooking just for me.
  • yourradimradletshug
    Options
    I won't lie I have NO clue how to make an omelet haha.
  • wobblybitz87
    Options
    omlettes are easy. chop up any vege you want it it, i usually go with capsicum/corn/tomato/onion and i will add a little bacon or ham if i have it. Fry the vege and meat in the pan for a few minutes with a little oil, then pour in lightly beaten eggs. give it a little mix so everything spreads out evenly. Just before the eggs are cooked i add some cheese on half and fold it on itself to finish it off.

Alternativly you can pre-bake a large dish (say a casserole etc) and preeze it in portions. Take it out that morning to defrost in the fridge and nuke when you get home. :-)
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    chili! soups! stews!

i also like making a big-ish batch of rice, pasta, lentils, or whatever starchy/dinnery side you like a couple times a week to heat up and then just cooking up some chicken real fast.
  • taraskylit
    taraskylit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Eggs on toast.
    Protein Smoothie.
    Any kind of meat with quick steam vegetables.
    If I'm desperate I keep a few frozen ready meals.
  • chelle00775
    chelle00775 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am definetely an egg girl. But I also do things like just roll up ham or turkey with cheese around it. oatmeal. casseroles and the crockpot is always easy. Rotisserie chickens are quick and tasty. Sometimes tunafish.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    If it's just me, I'll make a veggie burger with an over easy egg on top. Morningstar Farms has lots of flavor varieties and they're yummy. I also do deli meat/cheese rollups; sometime cold, sometimes heated in a pan so the cheese gets all melty inside. Mmmm
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Fish is quick to cook and is low calorie. Frozen veggies. Make a big batch of quinoa and keep it in the fridge.

If you have a slow cooker, popping some torn up chicken with salsa and beans makes a fantastic white chicken chili recipie. Low calorie and delicious.

• Cherie1n2n3n4
    Cherie1n2n3n4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I put frozen boneless chicken in the oven at 350° ( not preheated).. When the oven beeps that its 350° I flip the meat and pour frozen green beans on top. Cook for 30 minutes and its done. Salt and pepper to taste.. Very little clean up.

• yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    All of these are fantastic suggestions that I will be doing some shopping for! Feel free to keep them coming if you have anymore!
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Do you have room in your freezer? You could batch cook things like chilli, pasta sauce, soup, stew, bubble and squeak, rissoto, curry, etc, and freeze in portions. Then just pull one out and stick it in the fridge to depfrost, and warm it up at night.

You can easily make up a portion of rice or pasta to go with sauces when you get home. And a portion of salad or frozen veg to go with it.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I've been putting cooked kale, sour cream, and salsa in my omelets. Or expand the idea of what goes in a baked or mashed potato with beans/lean meat/cooked veggies that you would not have considered before.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i never learnt to cook for less than 4 people so i freeze left overs for nights i cant cook.

beef or chicken stews, pasta sauce, chilli con carne etc

leave to defrost during the day and when i get in ill put the rice or pasta on to cook while i take a shower then heat the defrosted dish up and serve

i used to make lasagne too on a weekend and freeze in portion sizes, i find it better when reheated anyway