Magic Potions--Just Say NO!

Options
A couple links from articles emphasizing the lack of regulation of supplements, the public's misconception of safety and testing and the potential health hazard some pose. There's a link in the second one to the list of supplements the FDA has identified as "tainted."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/12/taking-diet-pills-don-t-waste-your-money/index.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/10/your-dietary-supplement-might-contain-banned-drugs/index.htm

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    But they said I could lose weight without diet or exercise. They wouldn't lie, would they?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Ha, I read the title as "Magic Potatoes". POTATOES? I LOVE potatoes, lol.

Yeah, if it's too good to be true, that should be our first red flag that something is not a good idea. And it's very important that we educate ourselves on how dangerous some of these concoctions really are. Deadly dangerous in some cases, especially when banned stimulants and such are added in without consumer knowledge.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I saw a commercial the other day about diet pills that stated I don't have to change my lifestyle and will still lose weight. Sure, I could continue to eat like a pig and the fat will just fall off.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't have cable so I don't have the pleasure of seeing Dr. Oz or any of the commercials, but there is a commercial on the radio that CONSTANTLY plays talking about garcinia cambodia or however it's spelled, talking about how "several peer-reviewed studies" have proven its effectiveness. I've rolled my eyes so much I'm surprised they haven't rolled out of my head by now.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I lost weight researching diet pills on the Internet
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif