Shred diet

Options
Has anyone tried the Shred diet by Dr. Ian Smith? I have the book and it tells about a 6 week program with 4 daily meals and 3 snacks. It seems doable. Just wondering if anyone has tried it and what were your results. Thanks!

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat than many meals or snacks a day. Give your digestion a rest instead of constantly bombarding it with food to digest. Just my opinion :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat at a caloric deficit?
  • robowolfmega1986
    robowolfmega1986 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just to give my input, diets don't work, period. It's like starving and neglecting yourself of what you naturally enjoy. I say eat what you like but keeping in mind the health benefits and caloric count.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could eat that many times a day and still be in a caloric deficit, at least not if I'm eating food I enjoy.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I wouldn't eat than many meals or snacks a day. Give your digestion a rest instead of constantly bombarding it with food to digest. Just my opinion :)

This puzzles me. Your digestive system is made to, well, digest, and unless you have a diagnosed health condition, it's quite fine constantly going (considering the fact that generally food takes at least eight hours to digest and most people don't have eight hours between meals except between dinner and breakfast or lunch). Many people eat several small meals a day for their own reasons and they're fine. What exactly would the plan be doing to bombard your body?
  • CinthyN
    CinthyN Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit is the way to go, no matter what you eat and how many times a day you eat.
  • makelemonade14
    makelemonade14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It's a structured calorie deficit program basically. I've been using it and it works well for me. My mom lost 40 pounds using it, and I'm currently following it. There aren't any magic tricks involved, other than calorie deficit and regular exercise. The book is good for someone who doesn't know where to start with planning their food, either for quality or quantity. It's meant to begin a life change, rather than a crash diet. The goal is to build healthy habits while you lose, so you can have healthy habits for maintaining. There are some decent recipes and food lists in the back. The facebook groups are helpful too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Any diet will help you lose weight if it has you eating fewer calories than you burn. Not all diets are healthy, though. If health is a concern, make sure you're eating healthy!

http://cdn1.sph.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/30/2013/04/HEPApr2013.jpg

Good luck! :)
  • KyndraBaby
    KyndraBaby Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love this diet and will be starting on the 5th...after i plan to do mfp....i did RS and lost 13lbs
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Diets are short term

Count calories and log them ..by weighing ...eat at a defecit

If you must follow a specified plan from a book then just weigh and log it so you get in the habit then you can continue to lose after or maintain if you're at goal

Personally I like to eat what I want when I want and my calorie limit helps me with portion sizes and good food choices so that I can now mainly do that ...I have new favourite go to foods that I crave now that work within my calorie defecit,
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why not just eat at a caloric deficit?

This!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Looking over week one it looks reasonably healthy although possibly low on protein (it's hard to say without logging it all but you're only allowed 5 servings of meat for the week). It's certainly not necessary, but if it puts you in a calorie deficit and you like the strict structure and all the rules then you could do worse.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I eat at 7am, 10am, 11:30am, 2pm, 5:30pm and 8:30pm. That's 3 meals and 3 snacks. 6 times a day. My digestion is just fine.

OP, I don't follow the Shred Diet, but it's a way of eating for me. Small meals (snacks) so I'm never hungry. I'm not happy when I'm hungry. Most say "Hangry". Trust me, people know if I've missed my 2pm snack! LOL I don't let any book tell me what kinds of things to eat, but at a calorie range of 1300-1600/daily I'm losing a bit less than 1lb a week and I only have 7 to go.

I've seen the diet on various shows in the past and if I was going to follow a plan, his makes the most sense to me. But to lose weight you don't need to follow a plan. Just keep under your calorie goal in 24hrs.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Not to mention your teeth. Acid levels will be raised all day. I need a toothless smiley here.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    All those diets and plans should be redundant as soon as people learned about calories. Amazing that they still live on.
  • spoc4it
    Options
    cut and count calories, its as simple as that