Meal Planning, clean eating, budgeting, and limited time

Options
I found this clean eating meal plan today

http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/clean-eating-challenge#.uoD6rr3k2

It sounds great, very well organized and explained. But, it looks expensive and a bit time consuming. I'm a grad student, work part time, and will be doing internship this semester. I'm looking for something a little more easy.

Does anyone know of any websites or links that are this well organized but are maybe cheaper/less time consuming?

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I wish I did! Thanks for sharing this - it's really well thought out, the recipes look great! Though I would probably adapt this a bit because I wouldn't make it, even on the men's calorie allotment. I love (and need) the tips on organization, too.

I'm watching my wallet too, and think it might be feasible on a budget.. Bone-in / skin-on chicken is usually WAY cheaper than skinless-tasteless, though. If you can tolerate frozen veg, you could get some deals there. Consider that the gluten-free whatever, almond butter etc. would last you a long time.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I think the idea is, you assemble lunch while you're prepping dinner, and you cook and freeze batches.. I'm not sure something like this plan could be made much easier (and I'm always looking for shortcuts, lol).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There are lots and lots of reaources, I stumbled over this just now: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2010/10/05/budget-day-1-getting-organized/
    Just google "meal plan" and "budget" and not "detox" or "challenge", and you'll get the useful stuff.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm hungry just looking at it. 1300 calories = sadface. I guess it's not for people who work out. Some things look good though, but some are just making me gag just looking at them...
  • healthyemily93
    healthyemily93 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Err. That "detox" doesn't sounds very yummy or good for the wallet.
    This isn't a link you're looking for but a few suggestions from another student!

Buy cheap things in bulk like rolled oats, brown rice, dried lentils and beans, and pasta.
    Make big batches on your day off or lightest day, portion them out for the week, and season them how you like. Also look for peanut butter in bulk along with whatever bread is on sale that week - remember bread can also be frozen if it's about to go.
    Bananas are cheap and a good source of calories and nutrition. So are potatoes - lots of potassium - just don't load them to excess. Canned/tinned tomatoes add a lot of flavor and nutrition, and are also very cheap.
    Get discounted fresh vegetables that are about to turn and freeze them, or add them to your beans and rice. Buy frozen, unseasoned vegetables - those are also often very cheap.
    Splurge on more expensive things like poultry, meats and nuts when you can and enjoy!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned with planning and limited time I have a suggestion. I do all my lunches and breakfasts for work on Sunday (salads for lunch, egg muffins & fully cooked turkey sausage for breakfasts). I'll vary the salad ingredients so I don't get bored throughout the week.

I like this because when I'm feeling like I'm tired from work I have no excuse to have food ready for the next day - it's done and ready to grab in the fridge.

A big romaine Salad, some protein and some cheese really fills me up and keeps me awake. I try and limit carbs early because they make me sleepy. And hungry. And when you have a desk job, sleepy and hungry aren't good things.