Evidence Against Excessive Cardio?

Options

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I read a research that says the average person runs out of glycogen in 2-3 hours, which corresponds roughly to a half marathon. You all know what happens when you exercise past glycogen depletion: the body starts eating muscle for energy. This is why I think a half marathon is as far as I'm willing to go in a regular basis, in order to keep a balance between running and lifting. I would probably do a marathon someday just so I can say I have done it, but I would not make a habit out of it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I thought it was obvious that extreme amounts of cardio are not good for you.

It's good to stress the body so that it becomes stronger and more efficient. It seems plain to me that excessive stress is counterproductive though.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    buh-bump-o
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How many people run more than thirty miles a week? For those who do, how many have cardiac health as their main reason? I am betting zero. That kind of dedication involves more motivation than that. Even if they started for the cardiac benefits, anyone running 30+ miles a week is doing it because they enjoy it and is probably not going to be concerned with diminishing cardiac returns. Or they are doing it because they enlisted and cardiac health is the least of their concerns.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    How many people run more than thirty miles a week? For those who do, how many have cardiac health as their main reason? I am betting zero. That kind of dedication involves more motivation than that. Even if they started for the cardiac benefits, anyone running 30+ miles a week is doing it because they enjoy it and is probably not going to be concerned with diminishing cardiac returns. Or they are doing it because they enlisted and cardiac health is the least of their concerns.

I know people who spend 2 hours a day, every day, on a treadmill or elliptical for fitness and health. They don't enjoy it. They slave away because they think they have to to stay thin.
  • bcorbin34
    bcorbin34 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think you need to find what balace works for your body. We are not all the same and so what works for one person doesn't work for another. Also I think excercise is easier to keep doing it you enjoy it. Hope you find your balance :)
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    We're all going to die of something. May as well be from running.

Anything "excessive" is bad for you. If you trade a food addiction for a running addiction it's still going to get you. Moderate.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I honestly think the moral of the story is living life in moderation, balance, and harmony. There is evidence for cardiovascular damage by overdoing it but "underdoing" it doesn't build heart strength.
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    I have SO MANY studies...each conflict with others. So I decided that everyone should just do the workout that makes you the happiest.

If you love runners high...run
    If you love your big beefy muscles...lift
    If you want like both...do both.
    If you love Yoga but hate everything else...Do yoga!

My point is that everybody pretty much agrees that some exercise (no matter what kind) is better then none.
    So do what you love :-)

I personally hate running and there is a horrible family history of knees dying young, so I try to keep it under 45 minutes if I jog.

You are 100% correct in my book! Amen, sister!
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to find the "right" amount of running for several years. I've been in a running group that was trying to convince me I was eating too much protein and lifting too much, and then with the lifting groups telling me that I was eating too many carbs and that running is going to destroy my lifting progress. We all have to find our own approaches but I'm seriously trying to find the sweet spot for the maximum health and appearance benefits.

I do think anything can be taken to the extreme and finding balance is a good thing. I have seen a couple of articles similar to the one you posted. I think that some people jump much too quickly into things instead of working up slowly to achieve what they desire. And, every person is unique and so often we all forget that. What works for one may not work for another. Anyway, I think you HAVE found the "sweet spot" as far as your appearance benefits, :smile: You look great!!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    << Has a super=strong and healthy heart :) Also no knee problems.

Running? Can't stop, won't stop. I've done two marathons and one was the tail-end of an Ironman, so yeah, I'm ok with endurance events. Start training to Boston qualify in September.

Since the point of this thread is to quote a mostly anecdotal study that has already been debunked, I thought I'd throw in my story as well.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    << Has a super=strong and healthy heart :) Also no knee problems.

Running? Can't stop, won't stop. I've done two marathons and one was the tail-end of an Ironman, so yeah, I'm ok with endurance events. Start training to Boston qualify in September.

Since the point of this thread is to quote a mostly anecdotal study that has already been debunked, I thought I'd throw in my story as well.

I guess I missed the debunking.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to find the "right" amount of running for several years. I've been in a running group that was trying to convince me I was eating too much protein and lifting too much, and then with the lifting groups telling me that I was eating too many carbs and that running is going to destroy my lifting progress. We all have to find our own approaches but I'm seriously trying to find the sweet spot for the maximum health and appearance benefits.

Same here and I think anything to the extreme is just that, extreme. However, I'm not going to stop running, ever.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    We're all going to die of something. May as well be from running.

Anything "excessive" is bad for you. If you trade a food addiction for a running addiction it's still going to get you. Moderate.

I want to die from too much SEX please.... :laugh: :wink: :drinker:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about a similar idea. Doing cardio without negatively impacting heavy lifting.
    i love cardio, and would spend hours doing it, happily, but now my focus is lifting.
    So I'm working on finding the sweet spot for doing enough that it helps with recovery, cardio benefits, and
    my mental sanity, while not making my muscles and cns too tired to lift progressively.

Also, if I just go all out now, as I lose weight it will be harder and harder to keep losing, I'll have to keep adding more and more exercise and cutting calories.
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options

I realize my post was in the TL;DR category, but if you read the second part of it, you'll see that I explain how statisticians deal with collinearity among predictor variables in regression analysis.

Your post was excellent. Thanks.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I realize my post was in the TL;DR category, but if you read the second part of it, you'll see that I explain how statisticians deal with collinearity among predictor variables in regression analysis.

You mean this statement?
    Runners may in fact be overall eat better, drink less, etc., etc. But they might not be. If you want to know the effect of running independent of the variables which are correlated with running, you have to regress running against these other variables and take the residuals and put them in your model as predictors.

The problem with this statement is that it doesn't work in the real world. It's like saying "if you want to know what factors affect tree height other than trunk diameter," or "if you want to predict race-driving skill independent of reflexes," then do the statistics. You'll find something out, but it may not tell you why trees are tall or why some people are better race car drivers than others, because you're ignoring the most important factors.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I know quite a few actually, and they all tout health as one reason among several. The problem, and the responses to this thread enforce this, is that people have aligned themselves in pro-running and anti-running camps, which makes no sense whatsoever. The question is not whether running is enjoyable but how much is too much.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

You mean this statement?
    Runners may in fact be overall eat better, drink less, etc., etc. But they might not be. If you want to know the effect of running independent of the variables which are correlated with running, you have to regress running against these other variables and take the residuals and put them in your model as predictors.

The problem with this statement is that it doesn't work in the real world. It's like saying "if you want to know what factors affect tree height other than trunk diameter," or "if you want to predict race-driving skill independent of reflexes," then do the statistics. You'll find something out, but it may not tell you why trees are tall or why some people are better race car drivers than others, because you're ignoring the most important factors.

I give up. Let's talk again after you have worked through a reasonably good intro to statistics book.

[ETA: I guess the word "evidence" in the title of this thread misled me into thinking that people actually wanted to discuss evidence rather than contribute statements such as "I like it!".]