Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Refined sugar

With all these sugar free threads going on, I was wondering if users here use refined sugar in their day to day meals? I don't add refined sugar to my foods and probably get some bit in when I go out. Most of the times refined sugar can be substituted by fruits etc.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Most people encounter it incorporated into food they buy as opposed to making from ingredients. Sugar sales are about 75% industrial 25% retail from memory.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,123 Member
    I use refined sugar in my coffee and periodically in a few recipes, mostly desserts. Sugar free is generally misunderstood and pretty much impossible to do. People confuse information with knowledge.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    I don't add additional sugar to my meals but I will add a little bit to my coffee in the morning.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    Most people encounter it incorporated into food they buy as opposed to making from ingredients. Sugar sales are about 75% industrial 25% retail from memory.
    Yup. In cereals, in pastries, in bread, frozen dinners, ketchup, pasta sauce, snacks of various kinds, soda, "juice drinks", granola bars, fiber one bars, salad dressing, boxed convenience foods (hamburger helper, rice a roni...) etc. etc. etc.

Not sure why paying attention to that, and cutting out some of the unnecessary would be bad.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    One of my favorite foods has sugar in it!
    vmijnekmaekk.gif
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    I use non bone char refined sugars like Moreno in my baked goods, there is also sugar (or more commonly HFCS) in things I use like ketchup. I no longer use sugars to sweeten my coffee, my morning oatmeal. Judging by how often I used to buy sugar, Ive greatly reduced my intake. I also don't use Splenda, or Stevia, or any of the other commonly used subs, agave or honey or maple syrup. But I am always over on my sugars, because I eat a ton of fruit.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,988 Member
    Not sure why paying attention to that, and cutting out some of the unnecessary would be bad.

Paying attention to it is a good thing. Thinking the only way to reach your goals is by eliminating it altogether is not, IMO.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Yup. In cereals, in pastries, in bread, frozen dinners, ketchup, pasta sauce, snacks of various kinds, soda, "juice drinks", granola bars, fiber one bars, salad dressing, boxed convenience foods (hamburger helper, rice a roni...) etc. etc. etc.

It's not good or bad, it's more preference than anything.
  • SLLRunner
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    One of my favorite foods has sugar in it!
    vmijnekmaekk.gif
    Yes, please......

empty-plate.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,888 Member
    edited December 2014
    I snack on Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Candy. I just don't go overboard with them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sabine_Stroehm
    J72FIT wrote: »

Paying attention to it is a good thing. Thinking the only way to reach your goals is by eliminating it altogether is not, IMO.
    Agreed.
    And thinking about it as *a* way to reduce *some* unnecessary calories is fine.
    And for some, it makes compliance easier (and for others it makes it harder).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    SLLRunner wrote: »

It's not good or bad, it's more preference than anything.
    I can agree with that as well.
  • SLLRunner
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I snack on Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Candy. I just don't go overboard with them.
    I have a box of See's candy in the cabinet from Christmas and two boxes of Ireland chocolates in the freezer for just the right time. Moderation is the key for me.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT wrote: »

Agreed.
    And thinking about it as *a* way to reduce *some* unnecessary calories is fine.
    And for some, it makes compliance easier (and for others it makes it harder).

True...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    jo7777777 wrote: »
    With all these sugar free threads going on, I was wondering if users here use refined sugar in their day to day meals? I don't add refined sugar to my foods and probably get some bit in when I go out. Most of the times refined sugar can be substituted by fruits etc.

The only time I add sugar to stuff is sometimes when I cook with rhubarb. I understand why people add it to oatmeal, but I prefer my oatmeal unsweetened. I also learned to cook tomato sauce originally with a bit of sugar added, but stopped doing that long ago due to personal preference.

I've also done a few recipes where I added honey, which is basically a similar thing.

However, none of this adds up to much. I assume that most people mainly use sugar (if not in their coffee or oatmeal) when baking sweet items. I rarely bake these days (I always liked cooking more than baking anyway, since I hate having to be precise), but obviously I add sugar if I make a pie or cookies. (Most of the calories in those items aren't from the sugar, though.)
  • lemurcat12
    edited December 2014

It's the irritating assumption that everyone eats lots of that stuff in the first place or doesn't know where their sugar comes from.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It's the irritating assumption that everyone eats lots of that stuff in the first place.

I'm assuming that the folks who post wanting to reduce or eliminate it believe they are eating "lots" of that stuff.
  • lemurcat12
    edited December 2014

It's the irritating assumption that everyone eats lots of that stuff in the first place.

I'm assuming that the folks who post wanting to reduce or eliminate it believe they are eating "lots" of that stuff.

I'm talking about the dire warnings that we are all eating lots of hidden sugars or are addicted to sugar, etc. Or the people who act like avoiding "added sugar" is super hard.

I also see no need to go from eating some insane amount (based on self-reporting, not being judgmental) to giving it up entirely. Why not just figure out what you are eating and cut down by focusing on other foods? Why is it necessary to decide that the problem is sugar and not one's own apparently excessive consumption of it and then make a production of giving it up and claim (rather obnoxiously, like a new convert who is compelled to evangelize) that that's the only healthy thing to do. Silliness.

As you know (I think, as I've said it often enough), I have nothing against even giving up added sugar for a time (or longer) if one thinks one has a reason to do so. I have myself and probably will again. I just don't understand the need to act like that's the essence of health or to make a big production or start a thread about sugar being the devil or nonsense like that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

I'm talking about the dire warnings that we are all eating lots of hidden sugars or are addicted to sugar, etc. Or the people who act like avoiding "added sugar" is super hard.

I also see no need to go from eating some insane amount (based on self-reporting, not being judgmental) to giving it up entirely. Why not just figure out what you are eating and cut down by focusing on other foods? Why is it necessary to decide that the problem is sugar and not one's own apparently excessive consumption of it and then make a production of giving it up and claim (rather obnoxiously, like a new convert who is compelled to evangelize) that that's the only healthy thing to do. Silliness.

I can go with that. Start with awareness of what you're eating and then make some positive changes.
  • J72FIT

I can go with that. Start with awareness of what you're eating and then make some positive changes.

Also depends on how many calories per day your body needs. Someone who maintains on 3000 calories per day will gave far more flexibility then someone who maintains on only 2000...