Gluten Free for kids

Options
jennipooh82
jennipooh82 Posts: 331 Member
Can anyone help me?!?! I'm looking for new recipes that are gluten free and low cal as well. My daughter has ( I think) started a gluten allergy :( I have no insurance and I have to do the process of elimination. Anyone have any kid friendly recipes that might help in my case. Thanks in advance

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Are you in the U.S.?
  • jennipooh82
    Options
    Yes I am.
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has a wheat allergy, use white rice flour instead of regular flour, it works just the same. There r a lot of recipes if u Google them.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Here's a place with some helpful recipes: http://www.celiaccentral.org/kids/recipes/
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Pinterest usually has some good recipes. https://pinterest.com/owkids/kids-meal-ideas-gluten-free/ https://pinterest.com/explore/gluten-free/

It's also helpful to make things that don't contain wheat anyway, getting noodles from an asian food store is way cheaper than getting specifically gluten free products at a normal store.

There are some good substitution flour recipes, you can make most things if you can get the flour to perform whatever function the wheat was serving in the recipe. npr.org/2014/03/20/291873792/test-kitchen-have-your-gluten-free-cake-and-love-eating-it-too#flourblend

King Arthur and Bob's Red Mill are good brands if you wanted to start out with a mix before experimenting on getting your own alternative flours.

Birthday cake is difficult for kids that have to avoid wheat, but Bob's red mill brownie mix works pretty well as chocolate cake.
  • Fay_renee16
    Fay_renee16 Posts: 19
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Well I don't know any recipes but I know some awesome gluten free low calorie snacks! Boom chicka pop, detour smart bars, and crunchy rice rollers are all wonderful snacks that are gluten free and organic!!
  • jennipooh82
    Options
    Well I don't know any recipes but I know some awesome gluten free low calorie snacks! Boom chicka pop, detour smart bars, and crunchy rice rollers are all wonderful snacks that are gluten free and organic!!
    How do you make those are is something that you whip up on your own? Thanks
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Yes I am.

ok. just wondering why the kids don't have health insurance, given the new healthcare law... best of luck.
  • jennipooh82
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    Pinterest usually has some good recipes. https://pinterest.com/owkids/kids-meal-ideas-gluten-free/ https://pinterest.com/explore/gluten-free/

It's also helpful to make things that don't contain wheat anyway, getting noodles from an asian food store is way cheaper than getting specifically gluten free products at a normal store.

There are some good substitution flour recipes, you can make most things if you can get the flour to perform whatever function the wheat was serving in the recipe. npr.org/2014/03/20/291873792/test-kitchen-have-your-gluten-free-cake-and-love-eating-it-too#flourblend

King Arthur and Bob's Red Mill are good brands if you wanted to start out with a mix before experimenting on getting your own alternative flours.

Birthday cake is difficult for kids that have to avoid wheat, but Bob's red mill brownie mix works pretty well as chocolate cake.

Thanks so much- this has been most helpful. Also I have started getting the Chinese noodles at the local store and I'm gonna see how this works out this afternoon for lunch ☺️
  • jennipooh82
    Options
    Yes I am.

ok. just wondering why the kids don't have health insurance, given the new healthcare law... best of luck.

Yes, unfortunately we applied for state insurance and with only 2 paychecks (they wanted 4) from my boyfriend only because I hadn't found a job yet, we were over qualified
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Yes I am.

Because it isn't 'socialized medicine' yet. Anecdotally, I know more people who have lost their affordable insurance and are now unable to afford insurance than I do people who are happy with the new plans.

Anyway, OP, good luck, that is quite a challenge. Perhaps focusing on including more foods that naturally don't contain gluten rather than outright substitutes. Good time to expand their palates!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Yes I am.

Because it isn't 'socialized medicine' yet. Anecdotally, I know more people who have lost their affordable insurance and are now unable to afford insurance than I do people who are happy with the new plans.

Anyway, OP, good luck, that is quite a challenge. Perhaps focusing on including more foods that naturally don't contain gluten rather than outright substitutes. Good time to expand their palates!

My experience has been the opposite.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes I am.

Yes, unfortunately we applied for state insurance and with only 2 paychecks (they wanted 4) from my boyfriend only because I hadn't found a job yet, we were over qualified

That's too bad. I've met several folks who were able to get very affordable insurance under the new law. Darn
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @jennipooh82‌ You should never, ever do an elimination diet for a child without their pediatrician's approval/supervision.

You need to wait until you are able to have your daughter seen by a pediatrician. Based on her symptoms, they will decide what blood tests they want to run and if the screening for Celiac comes back positive, they will likely send her for an endoscopy to confirm the diagnosis.
  • Fay_renee16
    Options
    Its
    How do you make those are is something that you whip up on your own? Thanks
    [/quote
    Reply-they are things that you would have to buy that are pretty cheap, you can order them online if there are no stores near you, but also here is a great site with wonderful gluten free recipes!! http://www.theglutenfreevegan.com/recipes/
  • jennipooh82
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Yes I am.

Yes this is what I was ultimately looking for and substitutions.
  • jennipooh82
    Options
    @jennipooh82‌ You should never, ever do an elimination diet for a child without their pediatrician's approval/supervision.

You need to wait until you are able to have your daughter seen by a pediatrician. Based on her symptoms, they will decide what blood tests they want to run and if the screening for Celiac comes back positive, they will likely send her for an endoscopy to confirm the diagnosis.

I would never do anything with out consulting a dr. I work in a doctors office and have talked to the provider and she knows our family personally. But thank you for your concern. ☺️
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I would never do anything with out consulting a dr. I work in a doctors office and have talked to the provider and she knows our family personally. But thank you for your concern. ☺️

I still wouldn't remove gluten from her diet until she has the blood test for Celiac (even though it isn't accurate, it's a start). If you remove gluten from her diet now, she will not be able to have the blood test for Celiac because in order to do so, you must be eating gluten. If she truly does have a gluten sensitivity or Celiac disease, it will be a pain in the @ss (literally) for her to add gluten back into her diet. She would be extremely sick to her stomach and in a lot of pain. I don't think you want to put her through that.