Breastfeeding questions

Options
Is anyone else breastfeeding or have some great onsite to what I should be eating? I want to drop some weight but I don't want to lose my supply. I see mfp gives 500 calories for EBF, so that gives me daily calories of 1700. Does this seem correct? Anyone else?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What is your height, weight, activity level, age, and how much do you want to lose each week?
  • Happy2015mfp
    Options
    I am 5'2, 180lb, I am a student and doing the couch to 5k treadmill thing, 25, and lose as much as safely possible haha
  • amber5151
    amber5151 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and make sure to BF on demand to keep your supply up. It seems about right to me but I'm not sure, I nursed for 2 years but have since weaned.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You will likely lose weight on that.

EBF you need about 500 extra calories
    Breastfeeding a baby that has started solids and has cut back nursing you can lower it to about 300...
    toddlers you can get away with 200.

Try it for like 2 weeks, and if you're STARVING up your calories. If you're gaining you can lower them.

I never really dropped below 1800 calories in the beginning.

How old is your nursling? Mine is 2 and half so I allow myself about 200 to 300 extra calories.
  • Happy2015mfp
    Options
    Baby is 11 weeks :)
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    then mostly definitely eat that 500 extra calories.

And make sure you take it slow and go easy on yourself, your baby is still super young, you'll want to enjoy this time with him/her, this is one of the only times in our lives where we can pretty much eat whatever we want, breastfeeding burns a lot of calories.

hows your milk supply doing? Any issues breastfeeding?
  • Happy2015mfp
    Options
    Breastfeeding has been going great. She latches perfect and is a great baby. She currently has a stuffy nose so we are doing a lot of short nursings with short naps all day long, but I'm sure she will be back to normal soon. And yeah, my main concern is keeping my supply up. I previously weighed 210 before I got pregnant so I've already lost a good amount, I just want to keep it going and be healthy.