What are you thoughts on counting during the week and not at weekends

Options
13»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my first thought was, "That poster doesn't really want to do this."

It sounds to me like you're only willing to put in a half-hearted attempt and cannot imagine actually doing all the hard work all the time.

It could lead to hard work five days of the week that is undone by splurging on the weekend.

Try it out. See how it goes. See how you like it. If it doesn't work out like you're hoping it will, you can always change later. :)

• squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

It sounds to me like you're only willing to put in a half-hearted attempt and cannot imagine actually doing all the hard work all the time.

It could lead to hard work five days of the week that is undone by splurging on the weekend.

Try it out. See how it goes. See how you like it. If it doesn't work out like you're hoping it will, you can always change later. :)

How do you get that from my initial posting?

• squatsanddeadlift
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I tend to eat less on the weekends.

Really it's not dumb if you have a good grip on your food patterns. I log all the time- because data nerds need data points- and also- I have this thing that says 2XX day streak- and I just HAVE to keep that going. Which means I log in anyway.

If you don't go out to eat all the time on the weekends and are super busy- it's probably not an issue- I find when I have days alone with nothing to do- that's when I over eat.

So- just figure out what you think will work for you and roll with it- if you're going in the wrong direction then go back.

I have lost quite a bit of weight so far without logging, the problem is I am now starting to lift heavier so would like some data... protein etc. I don't want it to be in vain!
  • squatsanddeadlift
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

Really it's not dumb if you have a good grip on your food patterns.

If being the important word.

I just don't see the point of switching from something that does work to something that might.

Well "does work" is the phrase.. what works for one might not work for another, I am of course talking about adherence.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm sure people do lose weight without counting calories by the happy accident of being in deficit. Me? I'd rather know.

My opinion is it's a dumb an unnecessary idea if one is counting during the week. Be consistent - either guess all the time or count all the time.[/quote]

happy accident? :| , good to know that it is your opinion, your way , never have tough of myself as a person with dumb ideas, but hey gladly to see that a lot of us seem to qualify in your book
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I was thinking a good tactic might be to concentrate on eating well during the week and be a bit more relaxed at weekends.. not going mad but just "free eating"?
    Peoples thoughts?

How do you know you're "not going mad" if you don't log it honestly and completely?

It's a bit much to expect that someone who's eating habits get them to a place like MFP in the first place is suddenly going to magically figure out reasonable portion sizes etc....
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Would never work for me - I always log... :)

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]73641431.png[/url]
  • squatsanddeadlift
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I was thinking a good tactic might be to concentrate on eating well during the week and be a bit more relaxed at weekends.. not going mad but just "free eating"?
    Peoples thoughts?

How do you know you're "not going mad" if you don't log it honestly and completely?

It's a bit much to expect that someone who's eating habits get them to a place like MFP in the first place is suddenly going to magically figure out reasonable portion sizes etc....

Scale, gym performance etc. You don't know why I'm here so you can't assume. People are here for different reasons.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Peoples thoughts?

Scale, gym performance etc. You don't know why I'm here so you can't assume. People are here for different reasons.

So are we supposed to guess why you're here, are you going to tell us so you can get relevant answers? All I know is you want to lose a bunch of weight...

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

How do you get that from my initial posting?
    You asked for our thoughts. Those were mine.

Do what you want to do. See how it goes. Adjust as necessary.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Not for me, gotta log.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Really it's not dumb if you have a good grip on your food patterns.

If being the important word.

I just don't see the point of switching from something that does work to something that might.
    mental sanity is something that cannot be measured and varies from person to person- I like the consistency- some people for their mental health are much better doing a 5/2 split on logging.

It's not for me to reason why-......
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,095 Member
    Options
    KnM0107 wrote: »
    Honestly? Dumb. It won't work.

In what way is it dumb? that wasn't useful

If you don't count at the weekend how do you know if you're in deficit?

You continue to lose weight

Great. So wait a week and see at your next weigh in if you did or not.

Knowing is better than guessing.

I would give it more than a week - as one week's weight can just be normal fluctuation.
    - I would give it 3 or 4 weeks - if your weight is still trending downward after that time ,then it is working for you.
    - You are knowing - you are knowing it is working (or not) by results.
    - Not everyone wants to know all the exact details of their intake - some do and that is fine - but results are what really matters, not the detail or otherwise of the logging.