Crossfit and Tracking

Options
Hi all! I am new here- but not new to fitness or eating right :)

Does anyone have any experience with calorie burn for Crossfit? I'm sure it varies according to the workout, each athlete's specs, etc....
When I put it in my tracker it I put in "circuit training" and customize it to say it burned 200 calories on lighter days, 300 calories on longer metabolic days.

To be honest I don't care too much...I'm just wondering if anyone has worn a HRM to class and found the calorie burn to be significantly outside the 200-300 range.

Replies

• JoeyFallasPTY
    JoeyFallasPTY Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In Januarybi will be crossfitting for two years. Where I first started I wore my HRM and it scared me to see how high my HR would get. I was burning over 700 calories in any typical WOD and on many occasions it was closer to 1000 calories. I stopped wearing it after one month of workouts.

I am also new to MFP but not new to fitness. I started to use the app to keep track of my macros.
  • estud003
    estud003 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. 700-1000 calories!!! WOW! That's insane but I guess I can see it, especially if it's a burpee and box jump day.. I am tracking macros as well.
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I burn around 400 in a big WOD more like 250-300 in a less cardio WOD. I am reasonably fit but nothing amazing, this makes a huge difference obviously.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    A know most crossift is just some form of calisthenics, but on the workouts that involve actual weight training (weight less than 20 rep max), a heart rate monitor is all but useless for calculating calorie burns. Also, keep in mind, HRMs are assuming steady state aerobics, such as using an elliptical or treadmill. If you are starting/stopping/resting then the accuracy drops off pretty heavily as well. This is because of the well-known fact that a beating heart doesn't burn a lot of calories.
  • msangsterm
    msangsterm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that it is about 11 calories a minute. That's what I use
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    msangsterm wrote: »
    I read somewhere that it is about 11 calories a minute. That's what I use

There was a study that suggested 12 calories a minute for women and around 20 calories per minute for men.

It is important to note that the study was done on two workouts, both of which are very short, very intense workouts. The total calories burned were
    "Still, researchers found that males burned an average of 169.6 calories for Workout 1 (completing the workout in an average time of 8 minutes, 23 seconds) and 112.5 calories for Workout 2 (average time: 5:52). Meanwhile females averaged 117.2 calories for Workout 1 (average time: 9:08) and 63.9 calories for Workout 2 (average time: 5:52). "

The more intense a workout is, the higher the calories burned, but it is at an intensity that you won't be able to hold for longer periods of time. I wouldn't expect to burn 12 calories a minute for 20 minute WODs.

Also second the point about HRMs not being accurate.
  • estud003
    estud003 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

@emma74 that sounds great! Also, a reasonably fit Crossfitter is like a super fit non-Crossfitter :p

@vorgas definitely good things to remember. The whole reason I wanted others' input was was that I noticed I've been working harder and getting fitter BUT eating the way I'd been eating wasn't cutting it. (I was doing heavy weightlifting 3x week with HIIT 3x per week). It seems like I had more leeway before, or maybe I've just been overestimating how hard I'm actually working lately...

@msangsterm thanks!

@3dogsrunning thank you! This feels about right to me.
  • OAKCOACH
    OAKCOACH Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is reasonably easy to figure out. Since a mainstay of most CF gyms is "Row for Calories" you should have an idea of the perceived effort it takes to burn, say 15 calories in one minute (.75 calories per rep). Many CF exercises are about the same in terms of cal/rep: AAB, Burpee (weight dependent) Light weightlifting for instance. Some are easier (sit-up, push-up etc.). Some are harder (heavy deadlift, pull-up with weight vest, etc.). So using row as your baseline, you could guess that if you do 20 reps per minute, your Fight Gone Bad Score of 300 will translate to 300 calories burned in 15 minutes, or 1200 calories per hour. If you are a beginner and are getting 150 Rx it will be half that. Some of the briefer more intense WODs will have and insane cal per hour rate if you are any good. Let's say you can hit "Fran" Rx in 5:00. I would guestimate 1.25 cal per rep, so 90 reps times 1.25 cal = 135 cal in 5:00 or 2700 calories per hour. Of course the whole point is you cannot keep this up. On the other hand, Murph with a weight vest is sustainable for around an hour if you are decent. Probably 600 calories for the reps and another 300 for the runs, so 900 calories per hour and 900 calories actually burned. Hope this helps.
  • nikkime82
    Options
    I kind of wonder how many calories I burned doing the filthy fifty last week. I kind of wanted to die. LOL.
  • franky1967
    franky1967 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    But what about your body weight, I don't think you guys take in consideration ( effort X body weight X duration ),
    I explain myself, 10 push up for a 300 lbs guy done in 10 sec, is not the same then, 10 push up done by an 180 lbs guy in 15 sec, and if you bench 100 lbs or200 lbs is not the same either, a calorie is a measure of heat, you can convert to joules or BTU, the effort is a matter of physic, the distance of a deadlift and the weight matter in the equation, in reality, the perfect calculation is so advance, you guys should aim for Avg, at the end of the week is an average vs result in that matter, if any of you guys ever see my reflection!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Roll your activity into your TDEE, adjust calorie ceiling as needed, and carry on.

Accurate calorie burns are impossible to calculate without specialized equipment.