Protein Shake replacement

Options
Hi all, I'm in maintaining mode and I do weight lifting workouts 6 days/week in order to rebuild and restore my muscles. As per recommendations; my daily intake of protein must be 150g, I think replacing protein shake (ON 100% whey protein Gold) with cottage cheese and eggs. Is it good and safe?

Thanks in advance and happy new year

Replies

• crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't think you could ever go wrong replacing a protein shake with whole foods. A lot of people drink shakes because it is quick and easy to pack for an on the go protein source. I have never heard it is better for you in any way over food.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think cottage cheese and eggs would be more satisfying than a shake. Yum and yum!
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks 3lseif and Christiney for your help. I will stop using the shakes and go for cottage and other protein-rich foods. And yes i've got bored of the shakes, also cottage is cheaper.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement replacement :) I like that :D
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Why would it not be safe to replace a protein supplement with high protein non-supplements? Go for it.
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I was afraid of fat and carbs content as I only need to increase protein intake. My main problem is that my time schedule. I return back from work 6PM, eating my 2nd main meal then wait till 9PM and do my workout the the post-workout meal (dinner) which is high in protein. I almost finish my meal by 10:30PM, so I have only 1 hour and half before going to bed. That's why I was using protein powder. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I drink GNC Lean shakes in between breakfast and lunch as a snack. I ordered a few triial packets of shakeology from eBay to see if I'll like the stuff first.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    The protein shake is a replacement for whole foods. Not the other way around! Most people find it hard to get a quality protein meal eaten within 20-30min of their workout, or have issues reaching their needed protein a day with food, that is why they reach for protein powders. Or at least that is the reason they should be reaching for them.

Real Food > Powders. (99.9% of the time).