Zumba weight lost???

Hey MFP! I have been doing Zumba for a month, a couple of times a week. I am going to try to go at least 4 times a week now. The class is an hour long and I burn over 600 calories every class. Has anyone lost a lot of weight doing only Zumba and watching their eating habits??
Thanks.

Replies

• wtstephens
    wtstephens Posts: 11 Member
    As long as you are in a deficit, you are good to go. Zumba is great because it is meant as a fun activity just as much as a workout activity.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Shuhnellz wrote: »
    The class is an hour long and I burn over 600 calories every class.

Unlikely.

And if you say "...but HRM!!!", you get, like, a 1000 demerit points. HRMs are a catastrophe at estimating burns for activities like Zumba.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    You lose from being in a caloric deficit. If you mean this, by the "watching their eating habits", then yes you will lose.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Lose weight with calorie deficit and Zumba... yes ma'am!! I love Zumba!! :smiley:
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    I also burn about 600 cals for an hour of zumba based on both my HRM and MFP estimates. I did lose my first 15 lbs just doing zumba. I then started to add other classes. Like anything else, if that is he only thing you are doing, your body gets used to it and doesn't burn as many calories. Zumba is still my go to cardio. I just don't have as much fun doing anything else.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    betharin wrote: »
    Like anything else, if that is he only thing you are doing, your body gets used to it and doesn't burn as many calories.

That's exactly backwards. The fitter you get, the MORE calories you can burn at any given activity in the same amount of time.
  • Shuhnellz
    Shuhnellz Posts: 4 Member
    Unlikely.

And if you say "...but HRM!!!", you get, like, a 1000 demerit points. HRMs are a catastrophe at estimating burns for activities like Zumba.
    [/quote]

Not just my HRM but other references also.
  • Shuhnellz
    Shuhnellz Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for the info everyone!
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    I've lost 32 lbs with Zumba being my main exercise.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I haven't noted any marked change to my weight from exercise, including Zumba (which I love)! However I have noted a significant increase in my endurance, overall fitness, mobility, and agility.
  • fayeth1st
    fayeth1st Posts: 22 Member
    KarenB927 wrote: »
    I've lost 32 lbs with Zumba being my main exercise.

Can I add you? Zumba is my main exercise as well. I recently just started going back 3x's/wk.