Weight Gain, Seriously???

Options
Is it normal to experience weight gain in the beginning? In my 5 days of counting calories/exercising, I have gained 2.6 lbs. Ugh! Before I started logging my progress I was the classic couch potato, absolutely no exercise. It took 9 years to acquire this extra 30 lbs. that I'm trying to lose and at this rate, I'll double that in no time, Lol! Help

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Give it some time. 5 days is not long enough to determine the reasons why the scale moved, in either direction. Some causes for the increase could be water retention because of new exercise or because you ate too much sodium, or even (sorry TMI) if you didn't have a bm.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If you just started a new exercise, then yes. Your muscles will retain water for repair.

Also, just as a warning, you may also temporarily gain during ovulation and/or your period.

It's all temporary though. Just keep going.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is common for your body to hold water when you first start working out.
  • princesschanteee
    princesschanteee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    If you just started a new exercise, then yes. Your muscles will retain water for repair.

Also, just as a warning, you may also temporarily gain during ovulation and/or your period.

It's all temporary though. Just keep going.

I only started a week ago and lost 4lbs in the first week. But 2 days later the 4 pounds was back on the scales! I'm hoping you're right and it's just water as my body isn't used to this much exercise.