accuracy of f7 polar heart rate monitor?

Options
Hi everyone happy new years! :D I hope everyone had a great Christmas I did. But anyway I got a heart rate monitor for Christmas to keep track of my ffitness and calories burned. But my question is do you believe they are accurate? I got one with the chest strap and watch so it feels accurate to me but what do you think?

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitors do one thing: They monitor your heart rate. It is probably as good at doing that as any of them.

Many HRMs are able to use your heart rate to calculate an estimated calorie burn during steady state aerobic exercise. However, your HR can adjust for any number of issues. One of which is your body's ability to process oxygen (VO2Max).

If your HRM allows you to input age, gender, weight, and VO2Max then it's going to be one of the most accurate ones. If not, then it won't be as accurate.

And of course, no HRM will accurately calculate calories for anaerobic exercise such as weight lifting, or start & stop aerobics such as most sports.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yup, what Vorgas said. Accurate at recording your heart rate, which is useful for training and determining if your fitness is improving. Semi-accurate at calories burned during aerobic activity depending on a number of variables. Not accurate for calories at all during things like weight lifting or HIIT.
  • taylorblade
    taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    vorgas wrote: »
    Heart Rate Monitors do one thing: They monitor your heart rate. It is probably as good at doing that as any of them.

Many HRMs are able to use your heart rate to calculate an estimated calorie burn during steady state aerobic exercise. However, your HR can adjust for any number of issues. One of which is your body's ability to process oxygen (VO2Max).

If your HRM allows you to input age, gender, weight, and VO2Max then it's going to be one of the most accurate ones. If not, then it won't be as accurate.

And of course, no HRM will accurately calculate calories for anaerobic exercise such as weight lifting, or start & stop aerobics such as most sports.[/quo
    Mines do allow me to enter my height,weight,gender,age.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    vorgas wrote: »

And of course, no HRM will accurately calculate calories for anaerobic exercise such as weight lifting, or start & stop aerobics such as most sports.

Well, no point posting now. This pretty much sums it up.

But this is a good answer too
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/773451/is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn/p1

And this
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1044313/this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories/p1