I thought the gastric bypass would be a more effective tool...

Options
I had the gastric bypass on 12/19/14 with a starting weight of 352. I was easily eating enough for a few people. Now, I have just been cleared to start eating some soft foods and the doc said that due to the size of my pouch I should only be able eat a couple of tables tablespoons, but I can eat quite a bit more than that without feeling full. Now, I am terrified that my surgery will fail! Does anyone maybe have some words of wisdom or encouragement for me?

Replies

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the surgery, so can't share any wisdom, but I wish you all the best!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the surgery part as I've not had it but we have some Gastric Bypass groups that might be able to help you out by lending support & friendship. Many may have gone through similar things.

Welcome, you've definitely come to a place where lives are changed :)
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I would be expressing my concerns to the relevant medical staff if I were you...just to be sure everything is okay.
  • sexymonicat
    Options
    Maybe you're eating food that wont upset your stomach so you can eat more. Idk ?? Or maybe you've healed faster than the dr thought youd be
  • MusicalSharon52
    MusicalSharon52 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Can your stomach stretch now? I got used to eating way too much, making it necessary to eat more to feel just as full. Can the pouch you have do the same thing? You have to change eating habits. Surgery like yours can help, but won't do it all for you.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How much do you weigh now, at what height? There's no reason you cannot use MFP information to help you inform how much is an appropriate amount of calorie intake, if you are worried or don't have good information from your doctor.

Let's say you are 5'7" and 325 lbs., Scooby's Workshop calculator indicates you can eat about 2,000 cals. a day and lose 1 lb. a week. Is that what your doctor has indicated or are they recommending fewer calories?

If you are limited to soft foods and several tbsp (1/2 cup = 8 tbsp.?), you could think about what foods you can fit into your day that will add up to your recommended calorie intake. So, given 2,000 cals. and only able to eat 1/2 cup of anything at a time, you could have 10 x 200-calorie mini-meals throughout the day.

I would think your doc. would have already given you some sample "menus" to try eating now that you are back on soft foods. If your doctor hasn't given you that guidance, why not call the office and ask? Below is a bit more info on how to get started using MFP to help guide your weight loss. Perhaps you can use MFP's recommendations as a way to increase your nutrition dialog with your doctor?

Good luck! Please reach out to other gastric bypass folks on the forums. You can succeed if you take it one day at a time. Also, from personal experience with buddies with gastric bypass, please be careful about alcohol... It can have very unexpected consequences with your new anatomy.

Click Goals > Change Goals > Guided, Continue, enter in your accurate information and realistic goal weight, and click Update Profile. MFP will give you information on how many calories you should eat each day to safely lose weight.

Direct Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
    BMI Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator
    BMR Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • HildieMe
    HildieMe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bhubbard wrote: »
    I had the gastric bypass on 12/19/14 with a starting weight of 352.

First of all, a happy New Year and all the best for you! That is so brave. I have not had to go through it but have a friend who did. I'm rooting for you! I feel it should be the doctor's responsibility to guide you through this, especially the first months. He or she should give you specific instructions as to how much and how often you should eat, and exactly what nutrient dense foods would be most appropriate.
    How much should you drink, and is it water/coffee/herbal or other tea/diet drinks? My friend had to take specific vitamins for the rest of her life for fear of anemia and/or osteoporosis. And did they say anything when you are cleared to start a mild exercise program, like walking?
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    HildieMe wrote: »
    He or she should give you specific instructions as to how much and how often you should eat, and exactly what nutrient dense foods would be most appropriate.

Good advice, HildieMe!
  • cjenlive
    cjenlive Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I had my surgery a year ago. Sometimes feeling of hunger could indicate ulcers did they send you home with the ulcer prevention med? Also make sure you aren't drinking an hour before and an hour after for now at least this is advice from my surgeon. It is very hard to get every thing figured out when to eat and when to drink fluids because right now the focus needs to be high protein low carb. Stay in contact with your medical team my sergeons office has a nutritionist on staff can you consult one as well to make sure you really are eating the correct foods? The mentality and fear that you are now eating too much will stay with you and it's is very common. Your journey is just starting take one day at a time and you can accomplish your goals. Also go to the support group meetings!
  • divadmc73
    Options
    I had my bypass surgery July 2014. I was at 294.5. In beginning it very hard for me to get in the recommended amount of food and liquids. I stuck with water and alot of greek yogurts and a few scrambled eggs. I did over eat a couple times because was not paying attention. .ie eating too fast or too much. I only made that mistake a couple of times! This is time listen your body and change your eating habits. You will definitely know what will work or not work for you. Good luck ...it will get easier. .and be sure to stay in contact with your doctor well as your nutritionist.
  • texmexcoconut
    texmexcoconut Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lap band person here.

I have started to see a doctor these past three months for readjustment. And I have struggled with the terrible pain of hunger. I'm guessing that is what you are experiencing.

I would be very careful with over eating so close from recovery. Spoonfuls are appropriate for your stomach during this time. Now, it is a mind game you have to play. I have been on a 1100 calorie diet and have failed completely. I would eat and start planning my next meal. Then I was so hungry. But honestly, I had to tell myself no. It took a few tries and I hope I finally did it. But the hunger pains have finally stopped! I was on a liquid diet for a day and a half and had 1 cup of food for dinner! Never thought that would happen.

If you would like to talk PM me or visit the group. You can get back on track! Pretend it is day 1 and try again! Challenge yourself for three days to follow the rules and see how you feel. :)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I had the gastric bypass on 12/19/14 with a starting weight of 352. I was easily eating enough for a few people. Now, I have just been cleared to start eating some soft foods and the doc said that due to the size of my pouch I should only be able eat a couple of tables tablespoons, but I can eat quite a bit more than that without feeling full. Now, I am terrified that my surgery will fail! Does anyone maybe have some words of wisdom or encouragement for me?

One of the biggest mistakes people who have WLS make is relying on the restriction of their stomach instead of using their head. If you were told that you should be able to eat 4 tablespoons volume of food, why in the world would you even TRY to eat more than that? If I know my stomach holds 4oz, it is silly for me to shove in 6 oz and be "surprised" I can do it.

Your new stomach will help you eat less. But you have let your stomach rule your eating your whole life, and tell you when you are "full". And clearly that did not work out! The average human stomach can hold about 2 cups "comfortably" (not stuffed, but plenty of food to not be hungry), but up to 4 times that if needed (stuffed, "full" feeling). You have spent your life eating more than you can "comfortably" eat, until you are "full". Stop that. Now is the time to let your brain decide how much you can eat. Set out the amount of food you were told to eat, then get up and walk away. You do not need to feel like you just finished Thanksgiving dinner every time you eat. The surgery gave you the tool to be able to do this. It *is* possible to stretch the pouch out and push the limits of what it will hold. so DONT DO THAT.

I cannot count how many posts I have seen where people are scared because their pouch or sleeve holds more than they thought. The only way you would know that is by putting in more than you thought you were supposed to. Why in the world do you want to know the maximum your stomach can hold? The surgery lets you be content with less food. Use your brain, not your stomach, to decide how much food you will eat. Your stomach had its turn making that decision and this is where you ended up from it. Its time for your brain to take over.

If you are truly feeling hungry after eating the amount you were supposed to, then consider a few things:
    1) Acid reflux is common in WLS patients, and can mimic hunger. Try taking a regular antiacid or other type of preventative daily.
    2) Make sure you are getting in your water every day. Make sure you are not drinking too soon after eating (it just washes out the contents of your stomach into your intestines, leaving you "empty" again and able to eat more). Give your food time to digest (will also hump with "dumping").
    3) Take a look at the types of food you are eating. If they are mostly airy carbs (ie. bread, rice cakes, pasta, crackers etc) - try this experiment. Chew up 3 oz of tuna and spit it out into a cup - it will be almost the same size as it was when you put it into your mouth. Then Chew up 8 rice cakes (it will look HUGE and take a long time) and spit it out into a cup. It will take up about 2-3 tbsp, and be smaller than the tuna. Both the tuna and 8 rice cakes take up about the same amount of space once they are in your stomach so you will feel the same amount of "full". BUT - 3 oz tuna has about 130 calories (5Fat, 23 Protein and 0 Carbs)... 8 plain rice cakes has about 280 calories (0Fat, 8 Protein and 64carbs). Huge nutrition difference!!! But the volume is the same once in your stomach. Now pour some acid (like stomach acid) on both... An hour later the tuna will have barely changed size. The rice cakes will be GONE within minutes. So not only can you eat at least double the calories in the same space, but you will be hungrier sooner with the carbs - they are mostly air, and they digest too quickly! So make better choices!
    4) Maybe you really are hungry! The next time you eat, add a small amount of volume. Instead of 4oz, try 5oz for a day or two. The point is to DECIDE how much to eat with your brain, do NOT eat until your stomach tells you it is "full". That is a recipe for disaster and eventually you will outeat your surgery and start gaining back.

Eat the amount you believe you are supposed to and stop. Do that as many times a day as you are supposed to. Try it a few days. Your goal is never to feel like you have to unbutton your pants. *YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE "FULL" EVERY TIME YOU EAT!* Redefine full as "satisfied" instead. See if you can be "satisfied" eating this way. If you are hungry again before your next scheduled food time, eat a small carrot or something (or get your water in) and check the list above for solutions. If the solution is truly more food, start that the next day.

The surgery is a tool, not a miracle. You have to do your part, and let it do its part.

• stacey28358
    stacey28358 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can relate ... Had rny 08/31/13... I followed the rules closely for the first six months... I was too scared to eat anything really for the 1st few months... My hunger came back like a wrecking ball 3 months post op... I've been struggling ever since... I'm constantly starving... I've never eaten until I felt stuffed... I've expressed my concerns on numerous occasions with my surgeon and he says I'm fine because I had no complications... I was 417 at the start of my journey ... 389 at surgery and currently 281.2... And I'm 6'1... I'm a firm believer in protein first... I drink the premier protein shakes... Before any meal I consume an entire bottle of water... Wait at least 45 min before eating... I weigh my portions as well... The hunger is still there but I try to distract myself on other things... I don't know about you but in my experience, my stomach growls extremely loud after eating or drinking anything... When I'm hungry I get intense hunger pains... Never experienced the full feeling in my chest they claim you get... Just rely on the food scale
  • truckerchic
    truckerchic Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Something to keep in mind, it takes a few months for your new pouch to heal during that time it's still a bit numb so you may not always "feel" full like your use to, that's why it's important to follow your plan. Also as the swelling goes down you will have more room in your pouch.
    Head hunger is very common for the first few months,your old tummy will be rumbling at you and your head is like omg I'm starving but your new pouch is just fine. This is tough but will go away as you follow your plan..good luck
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options

I am nine years status post gastric bypass. I have kept over 100 pounds off since then. Yes I have gained some back but I am still much healthier and smaller since having my surgery. Unfortunately it appears that you have hit the buyer's remorse phase of RNY. It is a common phenomenon about four months out. You spend day after day looking at that tiny amount of food and think, "What have I gotten myself into?" But then over those next two months the weight loss kicks into high gear and before you know it you are wearing skinny jeans, camisole tops, and strappy little sandals!!! And then you think if only I'd done this sooner. I was taught that I could not just eyeball my food at first which is time consuming. But look at it this way, the pouch is a tool, just like exercise, weighing/measuring what you eat. Now the best thing about spending at least six months to a year of weighing, measuring, and journaling everything you put in your mouth is that you do get to the point where you can pretty eyeball an appropriate portion. It's very important to weigh/measure what you are eating especially while you are still a newbie. Over time your pouch will stretch but it will never return to the pre-surgery size which is the size of a large pocketbook. During surgery your pouch was created to hold about a quarter to a half a cup of food. By the first year out it really hasn't stretched that much. By the time you are five years out, your pouch can hold between half to a full cup if that. My surgeon told me to look at my meals (always - even nine years out) as half a sandwich - mostly protein, second veggies/fruit, and then a little grain/bread. The slippery slope is trying to push the amount of food you can eat especially this early out. Follow the instructions to the letter. Protein first, vitamins/supplements every day, stay well hydrated, and get 30 minutes of physical activity daily. In the end you will likely be happy that you made this choice. Good luck on your journey and please feel free to friend me for ongoing support.