WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Good Friday to everyone! It is really cold here today but as I see the weather maps I know it's not that cold. Thanks for all the welcome home posts. I was so happy to see so many of you are still here and living the good life.
    Sally - love your statement, "finding the joy in everyday". That's a great goal for all of us.
    Molly - got a laugh from the joke as I hadn't hear or seen that one.
    Tina - my high school basketball coach used to say quitters never win and winners never quit. I think that was the only motivational thing he ever said. Made me chuckle.
    Margaret loved the laughing pig. Unfortunately, we are sometimes visited by feral hogs not near as cute!
    Well, today is day 2 of my new quest and so far so good. Will check in later.
    Thanks Michele for the instructions on bookmarking. It sure helps.
    Sue in TX
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Cynthia … thinking of you … well, actually I wanted to tell you pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get to it … but that seemed kind of harsh! But it’s what I say to myself … with more colorful language … when I let circumstances control my eating habits. Really, I am thinking of you and know you have a lot going on with the job … hang in there!

Sylvia … the man was rude and your first assessment was correct. On the other hand, my mother called me a “fat – a**” when I was actually very thin … so his comment probably didn’t have anything to do with your weight. But I’m with Heather … lose the too large coat!!

Pipcd34 … I eat the same things for breakfast and lunch with few changes. Easier and keeps me on track. I have to mix it up quite a bit at dinner though for my husband and son who will not tolerate repeats!

Jan … I would be happy to send the snow down your way … as would most of Western New York. Schools were cancelled again today as well as all the major roads in the area. I’m typing this watching the snow whip around. A Currier and Ives snapshot it is not … it is snowing horizontally!!

Vicki … I derailed yesterday afternoon to the point of feeling uncomfortable. Breakfast and lunch fine. I need to have good choices for snacks since I don’t seem able to forgo food in the evening. And I need to pull myself up by my bootstraps and get to it!

And to all you ladies talking about colonoscopies … thank you … I keep putting mine off … I got your message!

Beth in Western New York
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon. DH made it to his coffee group,so I am doing a bit of everything. House is done,waiting for dryer to get done.was 20* this morn,but will have falling temps & 8* by noon.He will stop at PO to mail checks for taxes & house insur.We seldom send checks,& never use our mailbox to do it.

Love the lily pic.....so pretty.Cute piggie. DD has a few things in her yard that makes me smile. My fav is a pair of red & yellow ceramic boots near a red ceramic umbrella.

The TV is off......sometimes a bit of news is enough.

Have been eating my cabbage-veggie soup.Love having it in fridge. Ate it twice yest & will have for lunch today.As you see,I often eat the same things & keep a few old reliables around. DH isn't fussy about food,he eats most anything except some dairy & liver.

Sylvia,better safe than sorry where car is concerned.
    A pox on the stupid guy who insulted you. Consider the source,as Mom always said.Makes a person thankful for their own guy/ family.

Going to try to post a pic of Great Grson,taken at his Grma's house while waiting on family to go eat out . He loves the piano! He is now 10 mos. His Mom says he is really eating,she thinks he prefers reg food.

Welcome to the new posters. Come back often so we can get to know you.Good luck to all the losers & those trying to lose. Pat

html]03D88191-36C6-49D7-944B-F8F8CB4E6054_zpsywdre64i.jpg[/url]

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,090 Member
    Options
    Good Evening,

Jeannie from Missouri I would love to see some of your flower pictures. One of my favorite things to do when we go to St. Louis is visit Tower Grove Park.

Sue from TX I understand about the pig. We had feral cats two summers ago and they went after the birds in our yard.

Rita prayers for your son.

Michele the pig was in one of gardens I saw last summer. I like to take pictures of the fun things people have in their gardens along with gorgeous flowers.

2015 word: Strength

Quote: Just because you see a hook does not mean you have bite.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,701 Member
    Options
    comeeee oonnnnnn 4:30!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,885 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone: We had a falcon in our backyard this afternoon. He dove and caught a small bird just as I was coming out of the garage. I would have loved to have gotten a picture as he was quite close but as soon as I moved he grabbed his dinner and flew away. We live only about three blocks from downtown in our city so it is unusual to see large birds like this.

DH gave me a gift certificate for a massage so I made use of it this afternoon. Ahhh!

I for one am ready for a January thaw. Just about done with the prednisone burst for my breathing and hoping the continued cold air will not set off symptoms again.

Doing fairly well with my walking goal. Looking forward to the symphony tomorrow night. Pianist Paul Sanchez playing Mozart.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to all with victories. Sue in SD
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yesterday Friday it was really hot so I washed clothes, cleaned house and pruned roses, granny's bonnets and lupins. Had lunch and sat in garden reading. Feel better for that.
    Saturday morning here. Had my toast and banana and went for my 3.3 mile walk, 10447 steps wowee.
    I decided to REALLY look at the bush-land as I walked along our country road: Blackberries in flower, Myrtles and other trees flowering, saw the wild flowers by the road, BIG dell of huge man ferns (they grow 1 cm a year and were BIG), listened to the bird song. It made me appreciate what I have in rural Tasmania, so blessed.

We too have lots of falcons, eagles and other birds around our 10 acres and love to watch them. A kookaburra sits on our clothes hoist and swoops on small animals.

Yesterday I had a look at Dr Oz weigh-loss plan and printed out some shakes and his vegie broth for later.
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    " I derailed yesterday afternoon to the point of feeling uncomfortable. Breakfast and lunch fine. I need to have good choices for snacks since I don’t seem able to forgo food in the evening. And I need to pull myself up by my bootstraps and get to it!-" Beth

Last wk,reading wt loss info,the article said if we cut back too far on foods that are filling ....in some ppl it causes them to eat more in the evening.Food containg good fats is usually what is missing & causes hunger.

Who knows? It's a complicated issue. Pat

"Gratitude for the Past - Strength for the Present - Faith for the Future".
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Pat ... I would have to agree. I was very low on calories .... until the derailment.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good evening! Turned out DD had one of her split work days and we went to see Into The Woods; well, of course Meryl is excellent in anything but mainly my impression was that it was l..o..n..g; not my cupppa. The sun did come out; I'm very happy to say!

pip.........Hope you made it to 4:30; sounds like you were having an awful day at work. Enjoy that drink! 1st place?? No wonder you looked so happy!!!

Sylvia......Yep, Molly sounds pretty smart to me!!! Got her human trained! You reacted much better to the incident than I would have.

Heather........Hope your explosion of energy continues!

suebdew........Good to see you!!!

On eating: usually breakfast is eggs or oatmeal, sometimes yogurt, always milk, lunch and dinner: I have a usual group that I rotate; lots of homemade soups. Try to include one or two fruits a day and nuts maybe every other day. My daily cup of hot chocolate is not negotiable. If I'm craving: either Wasa with pb2 or a T. of parmesan and 2 or 3 jalapeno stuffed olives. Lots of decaf tea.

G'nite everyone!

Hunger is not an emergency.
    Determined.
    yanniejannie
    mid-atlantic

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, that guy was a total jerk. His comment probably had nothing to do with the actual size of your a** and more to do with the size of his brain (which is apparently inversely proportional to his mouth). And I don't know about your state, but in Georgia it is the law that you must stop for pededstrians in a crosswalk. He was in the wrong in so many ways.

I do agree, however, that you need to lose the 5x coat, but not because of that jerk. You deserve a cute coat that fits you and flatters you.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Bonita. You have joined us simply by posting. This is a great thread of supportive ladies.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding

Greetings all. I hope you've all had a good day. It sounds like yesterday was a little rough on some.

*Molly, I had to laugh about the guy in the parking lot, because that would have p***ed me off, even considering the source. Good for you that you took it with a grain of salt! And thanks for the giggle on your story about Molly. Yep, I think many of our dogs have our number to get what they want.
    I loved your joke. I had not heard that one and didn't see it coming. :)

*Heather, your day sounds terrific. I need one of those. And I hope you have many more.

*Vicki, I can imagine from past experience, how the rumors must be flying about the coming changes at work. The wait is often worse than the outcome. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

*Bonita, welcome. We are glad to have you with us and hope you drop in often. This is not only a great place to get support but good ideas too. Colorado sounds like fun.

*pat, that was interesting about what causes hunger. Something for us to look at, when we get hungry late in the day. I read a post in another group about processed foods slowing down weight loss, even when we're under on calories. I don't eat too many but going to look at that too. I agree, it's a complicated issue.

*Lesley, your walk sounds grand. How often we forget to stop and smell the roses. ( If we can find them under the snow). :)

**Welcome to all the new ladies. We are glad to have you join us.

I have a question for everyone. When you are under your calories at the end the day by at least 100 calories, do you think we should have a snack or desert when we aren't hungry?

I wish everyone much happiness and good health, and that those of you that want it, to be big losers.

My new word for the rest of the month is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,701 Member
    Options
    stats for the day and i am having a double!
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.34min 14amph, 3mi
    expresso machine-moderate trail-quick silver- 25.46min, 115aw, 14.8amph, 6.33mi
    expresso machine-basic trail- campus loop- 7.33min, 125aw, 16amph, 2.03mi, beat last time by 20sec
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.33min, 11.3amph 1.4mi
    ride dome 2 hm- 19.57min, 8.2amph, 2.7mi
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    smiley-cool05.gif About school closures on snowy days. This is the second place I've lived where the schools are in town at sea level and near the coast but significant parts of the school district are inland and at much higher elevations so even though it looks quite benign in town and at school, students and school busses are facing treacherous driving on snowy days.

smiley-happy020.gif Welcome to all the newcomers. This site is awesome and this thread is the best. All the tools are available 24/7 from your house and the women on this thread will support and encourage you as you navigate your journey to health and fitness. Join the conversation and ask questions.

smiley-happy020.gif Tina, thank you for sharing Angel's picture...she is darling.

smiley-happy020.gifvicpoole, we used to have an RV and spent 99 days traveling in it one summer and loved every minute of it even the ones when we got on each other's nerves. I have used MFP on long RV trips and it was like taking friends along with me.

smiley-happy020.gif Sharon, the way to get your ticker on your post is to copy the code onto your post each time. I have a word document that I keep all the time with my ticker code and various other items that I want to post every time. I write my post on that document and then copy and paste the whole thing in the reply box.

247640w3x75ph8lf.gifI watch a lot of TV because we have a DVR and can record favorite shows to watch when we want to. Also I ride my exercise bike and do strength training and fold laundry while watching TV. My favorite shows are Bones, Parenthood, NCIS, CSI, Modern Family, Elementary, Jeopardy, Hawaii 50, and Blue Bloods.

smiley-greet024.gifDiana in Indiana, don't let the scale discourage you....stay faithful the right food and the right exercise and you will see the results you want.

smiley-eatdrink020.gifpipcd, I eat the same thing for breakfast, supper, and my bedtime snack every day. I would eat the same midday big meal every day if I were alone, but my hubby likes variety, so I that meal is different but often is baked fish or chicken and two steamed veggies. The more things stay the same, the less I have to obsess over food.

smiley-greet024.gifRita, that is good news about your son and the rehab center. I hope that he'll be open minded and willing to do what's required of him to turn his life around.

smiley-chores002.gif 21,000 steps today from two hours of dog walking and teaching a two hour line dance class along with an hour on the exercise bike.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

My quote for 2015 (and the last five years)---The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

January Resolutions
    *walk 18,500 steps a day
    *strength training twice a week smiley-sport017.gif
    *review our will and documents of personal information
    *don't expect praise or recognition
    *learn and teach two new dances253149qtzkf0ld22.gif

146200.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »

I have a question for everyone. When you are under your calories at the end the day by at least 100 calories, do you think we should have a snack or desert when we aren't hungry?

:D Janet, I try to plan my food for the day and stick to the plan no matter what.

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Well, darn. I lost a post on my ipad. Oh well.

Tonight we went to Penneys and I tried on new coats. Didn't find any I really liked, but did find that a 1x fits about the best but the sleeves were too short. And I do not have long arms so I don't know who those were made for. None of them seemed like they would be as warm as my big black pea coat though, and the prices were crazy! $120 was supposed to be 70% off? Nope. I've decided to stick it out a little longer with this coat and get a new one next year. Winter is about over, isn't it?

Here are a couple of extra jokes I found online:

:)

A mother took her little boy to church.
    While in church the little boy said,
    “Mommy, I have to pee.”

The mother said to the little boy, “It’s not
    appropriate to say the word ‘pee’ in church. So, from now on whenever you have
    to ‘pee’ just tell me that you have to ‘whisper’.”

The following Sunday,
    the little boy went to church with his father and during the service said to his
    father, “Daddy, I have to whisper.“

The father looked at him and said,
    “Okay, just whisper in my ear.”

:o

A wife was making a breakfast of fried eggs for her husband.
    Suddenly her husband burst into the kitchen.

"Careful. CAREFUL! Put in some more butter! Oh my GOSH! You're
    cooking too many at once. TOO MANY! Turn them! TURN THEM NOW! We
    need more butter. Oh my GOSH! WHERE are we going to get MORE BUTTER?
    They're going to STICK! Careful.

CAREFUL! I said be CAREFUL! You NEVER listen to me when you're cooking!
    Never! Turn them! Hurry up! Are you CRAZY? Have you LOST your mind?

Don't forget to salt them. You know you always forget to salt them.
    Use the salt. USE THE SALT! THE SALT!"

The wife stared at him.

"What the heck is wrong with you? You think I don't know how to fry a couple of eggs?"

The husband calmly replied, "I just wanted to show you what it feels like when I'm driving."

:D
    A farmer and his wife went to a fair. The farmer was fascinated by the airplanes
    and asked a pilot how much a ride would cost. "$10 for 3 minutes," replied the
    pilot.
    "That's too much," said the farmer.
    The pilot thought for a second and then said, "I'll make you a deal. If you
    and your wife ride for 3 minutes without uttering a sound, the ride will be
    free. But if you make a sound, you'll have to pay $10."
    The farmer and his wife agreed and went for a wild ride. After they landed,
    the pilot said to the farmer, "I want to congratulate you for not making a
    sound. You are a brave man."
    "Maybe so," said the farmer, "But I gotta tell ya, I almost screamed when my
    wife fell out."

A man was at his sons house visiting. He said to his son, "can I borrow a news paper?".
    His son said, "Dad, this is the 21st century, you can borrow my ipad." That spider never knew what hit him.

Good night!

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Wish I had time to chat but I MUST get to bed at a decent time. Just wanted to let you know LITTLE BLUEBERRY HAS ARRIVED. Her (yes, it is a girl - knew it) name is Bronwyn (sp?). She was born around 5:00 so I didn't win the pool. Mom and baby are doing great! Thank you all for your prayers. My DIL is so happy to have a new cousin in the family.

I'll check back in tomorrow.
    Toni
    Grateful - Strong- Faithful
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,387 Member
    Options
    Today has been another one of those hectic days. For some reason, I woke up at 3:30 so I got my exercise in. Did the "10 Pounds down" DVD. As I was doing it, it seemed familiar to me. There's a reason why...I already owned it! I contacted Total Fitness (because that's where I was pretty sure Denise got it) and they're willing to exchange it for another DVD for me. I thought that was very nice of them, since it was my fault that I got the wrong one.

Then picked up a friend and brought her to our house. Vince took her to an eye MD in Charlotte, she has a detached retina. She was going to find out if she was going to lose that eye, but it turns out that she only has the d.r. and is going to have surgery on it Mon. Another gal is taking her to Charlotte Mon and I'll take her for her followup appt. on Tues.

Then went to the home of the guy who was doing the Newcomer website. I don't mind just straight inputting names/addresses, but I don't know enough about the computer to go any further. Then we (the nominating committee) were going to meet but that one gal wasn't there so we didn't meet. Came home, had dinner.

Tomorrow's plan for exercise is to do another segment of the Butt Bible DVD. Then I'll probably take the DVD I'm going to exchange to the post office and pick up Vince's prescription on the way home. Even if I don't get to the post office, he needs his prescription.

Sugary Sweetheart - welcome, great goals

banker, lib, bonita (congrats on quitting smoking

Tina - I think I need the "boundaries saying no" book. I just can't say no. Like the friend asked me to take her to Charlotte today. Well, I couldn't but I asked Vince to and he did (what a sweetheart). I feel that anyone who abuses an animal should have the exact same thing done to them

I have some pinto beans in the pressure cooker right now. There are things on the internet that say that you can cook them in the pressure cooker. We shall see. I wish I could see into the p.c. to see if there's enough water, I just took a guess.

Seems some of the beans stuck to the bottom of the pan. I put them and some barley in the slow cooker and will let it cook for about 10 hours now.

Diana - sounds like you had a wonderful night. We have a place near us like that -- wine and painting.

Jessica is supposed to be here tonight. Glad I had these chocolate cookies in the freezer (actually, they were from Christmas) for her

I read somewhere that to get burned on food off the pot, to put some baking soda in the pot and then put the pot on the stove. So I gave it a try -- figured I didn't have anything to lose. It worked quite well.

Sylvia - that guy was a real jerk if ever there was one. You've come so far. Add me to the list of people who feel you need to lose that coat

pipcd - wishing you better days in the future. I need to constantly have different foods, that's just me

Got the results of my coonoscopy. Everything was begnine, but I do need to go back in 5 years

Rita - so happy for your son. "Mistakes" do happen....:)

Pat - ggs is so cute!

Janet - I used to think that I should have a snack just to get my calories up, but lately I don't feel that way.

Toni - welcome Little Blueberry!!!!

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well good evening guys. Sylvia, good for you in not letting that rude guy win by taking over your brain and putting you in a downward spiral. That can happen in so many ways by so many situations. Speaking of keeping warm, the older i get the colder I am even in my own home. Dr says it is medicines and age since my thyroid level is normal on my current dose of thyroid pill. So I asked Michelle if she had any idea what to wear under my jeans but wouldn't affect how my jeans fit me. I have worked real hard to look good in my current size of jeans and I do not want to compromise that. She suggested yoga or biking pants or leggings. We were at Walmart tonight and they had some under the clothes layering real thin clothes but they were all small or medium. I could have also bought some regular thermals. I finally bought some leggings that were pretty thin. I hope they work. What do you all wear on your legs to keep warm. I am hoping that if my legs are warm then maybe my feet would be warm. Or maybe i am thinking all backwards and need some warmer socks. I jsut wear regular white socks.

Diane, could you be losing weight but gaining muscle weight? A lot of doctors recommend weighing once a week. Also quite a few of us measure our successes by how our clothes fit us or if we are going down in sizes. I know when I finally got down to a size 12 I hadn't lost weight in a long time.

Joyce, Indiana where I am ready for spring yet winter is one beautiful season.