Time to Eat

Options
How long should you wait after a meal before going to bed? and why?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can go to bed immediately if you want to. Your body is a 24 hour factory. It doesn't shut down when you go to sleep.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    How long should you wait after a meal before going to bed? and why?
    However long you feel like. Because when yo go to bed after eating a meal has nothing to do weight loss.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You can go to bed immediately if you want to. Your body is a 24 hour factory. It doesn't shut down when you go to sleep.

What she said.
    I will add - unless you have a problem with digestion, reflux or something like that. Weight loss wise it doesn't matter.
  • 2015onmyway
    2015onmyway Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great! I appreciate you guys. Idk why I always thought that would delay the process. Glad to know different! Happy New Year!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wait as long as you need to ensure your sleep is not impacted. Other than that, as has been said, eat when you want (and in a way that allows the better adherence).
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I always heard if you sleep on a full stomach you increase your chances of a heart attack.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I always heard if you sleep on a full stomach you increase your chances of a heart attack.
    Oh my goodness, I hope not! :o:)

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I'd take it with a pinch of salt really. I don't know how true it is. I just heard it or read it or something.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

No. It increases your chances of experiencing GERD (acid reflux), which can FEEL like a heart attack.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I'd take it with a pinch of salt really. I don't know how true it is. I just heard it or read it or something.

My reply is tongue-in-cheek. :)

No. It increases your chances of experiencing GERD (acid reflux), which can FEEL like a heart attack.

This is correct.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Until you feel tired. When you eat makes no difference on weight loss, caloric deficit does.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm far less hungry during the day, ravenous at night, so I eat all my calories in the second half of my (waking) day, and I am losing. :)

Years and years ago (late 1970s), I believed that I wouldn't lose weight that way as the adage was that one would be "sleeping on" one's calories rather than "using" them, but that certainly doesn't seem to hold true now that I follow my body's cues more (eating when hungry; not stuffing in breakfast when not hungry). I "sleep on" a very large portion of my daily calories, and am losing just fine, at least so far (2.5 months in).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    However long you want. If you want to stop eating early, do it. If you want to eat right before bed, do that.

I like to stop eating early, but if I'm hungry, I eat.