do you find you cant eat some foods in moderation?

Options
I cant have large bags of chips in the house (small ones are fine)
I cant have a whole cake in the house (a piece from the grocery store is fine)
I hope one day I can just eat in moderation but this Christmas was a real wakeup call.
For some reason it is too much temptation for me to handle, don't know why, I guess I am just what you call greedy. Are ya like this or is it just me? WIth certain foods I definitely set myself up for failure if I try moderation.

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I keep all bags of chips and boxes of crackers out of the house for just that reason. You're definitely not alone! :smiley:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    you are NOT alone ...... I either don't buy some foods at all (really sugary treats) ..... or allow myself to have others at certain times ..... cheesy popcorn during football games comes to mind B)
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I couldn't drink mountain dew in moderation. I gave it up cold turkey afew years back. It was hard at first, it was hard for awhile actually. Now I pass it and I don't even think about it. I could buy it for my brother who drinks it and keep it in our house, and I wouldn't drink it. But in place of that I've developed an affinity for diet coke (only from McDonald's, I know it's weird I prefer that to the canned variety even..) I guess I just replaced one addiction with something else. But I'm pretty happy that I was able to give dew up, I could drink a 2 liter a day I swear.

We do keep chips and cookies in the house (for my dad) and my self control isn't the greatest. I try to just keep them out of sight and out of mind but he likes to leave them all over the house LOL. Just takes time I guess to build up the restraint, but for some things, like the dew, I literally had to keep them out of the house. Everyone may feel differently, but I'm sure you're not alone :)
  • JRitaK
    JRitaK Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Definitely bags of chips. Just tonight my dad brought a bag over for New Year's and I can't keep myself away. =( I've had way more than I should.
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Cereal. I need to stop buying it. (hangs head in shame)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Doritos and Hot Cheetos
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yup. Brownies and chocolate chip cookies. Until I can control myself, they don't enter my domain.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    food
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I discovered a couple weeks ago I can't do pretzels. Chocolate, ice cream, those are fine and I can eat them almost every night. But give me a bag of pretzels and I'll forget to weigh them and eat handful after handful.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    POPCORN! I ate a huge pack last night. Putting me well over my tdee :(
  • NewYearsResolutionerAtUrGym
    Options
    Oreos cannot enter my house. I'm embarrassed to admit how many Oreos I have eaten in a single sitting.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about it. I've noticed that if I buy something that I haven't had for a while, I will eat way more than I should. But if I keep myself supplied, I can handle moderation. I try to keep some of the less healthy foods around the house, because I will eat too much of something else, if I can't satisfy a craving.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Not anymore.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Brownies.
  • tartansheep
    tartansheep Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    jaffa cakes!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    It used to be ice cream. For some reason, I don't binge on the vegan versions. Win win.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies. It is what it is and there are some foods I cant eat in moderation so I don't have them at my house, maybe someday. Hard lesson to learn over Christmas. I was maintaining my weight and guess I got complacent.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Doritos. Sour Cream and Cheddar ruffles. Cheesecake. And chocolate bars. Also, any form of icecream that isnt preproportioned.

I've found that if i can get these items in small quantities or prepacked portions it isnt AS bad. But, i may just eat 6 snack bags of doritos. =/
  • Want2bthin135
    Want2bthin135 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am the same way with chips, I love the baked lays cheddar and sour cream the most. If I buy them I eat the whole bag within a day. Any homemade baked sweets are also hard for me to resist.

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time controlling myself around cake batter / cookie dough. I've gotten a lot better with moderation overall though.