Small steps toward big changes...

greeneyedgirl829
greeneyedgirl829 Posts: 335
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
In the past, attempting to become healthy, I've always be all or nothing. I would get motivated and do everything correctly from the beginning. I would lose weight, but it wouldn't last. I would get too tired/emotional/cranky/bored/burnt out/really hungry. Whatever it was that time, it caused me to drop all of my quick changes and gain the weight back.

This time, I'm taking a different approach. Last week I made sure everyday to get my recommended amount of water. I brought a big water bottle to work and just kept refilling. And yes, I had
to pee ALOT, but I also felt great. I kept it up through the weekend and I'm beginning again today.

This week, I'm going to work on controlling hunger and re-training my appetite. My job is physically active, but also extremely repetitive. I quit smoking a while back, so at this point food has been my only thing to look forward to on my breaks. I am sooooo hungry at work when I know I shouldn't be. On the weekends I eat about half of what I eat a work. By combining healthy eating and water consumption, i'm going to work on re-evaluating my appetite.

My next step will be exercise. My knee was injured at work, as a result, I don't think the treadmill is right for me at the moment. I plan to use the elliptical, recumbent bike, and various arm machines.

I think that this time, slow and steady wins the race because slow changes allow my mind and body to recognize that my changes are here to stay.

Replies

• BbNuke
    BbNuke Posts: 82 Member
    Good for you! You have a plan and that is the first step in accomplishing our goals.

I started the same way - baby steps. I only wanted to lose 40 pounds, and tone up. I have lost 22 since the beginning of the year, and completely changed my diet. This site has really helped me to keep going while I lost the last 10 pounds. I feel it is a way of eating/living that I can stick with forever now. Good luck to you!!
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    I think you're so on the ball. Great approach :flowerforyou: Best of luck!
  • BbNuke
    BbNuke Posts: 82 Member
    By the way, if you are really hungry, you need to eat a healthy snack during work. It will keep you going, and actually help you to lose.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Congrats to you for the epiphany!

I had the same one this time around. I'd jump into it whole hog and completely deny myself of everything in the first week and bust my hump on the treadmill until I was really just... sick of it! I have realized, I don't like running on a treadmill, I don't like running period! I like other forms of physical activity. Sure, they may not burn as many calories, but the point is.. I'm exercising! I am making my heart healthier with every beat and I'm burning *some* fat. I've told myself that once I get some weight off and my joints don't ache as much (sad at 26 yrs old!) then I will jump into some more high impact workouts. For now, evening walks on a trail work for me as well as strength training with hand weights at home. I'm actually *wanting* to do the exercise this time around because I feel more comfortable! I hate going to a gym when I'm fat, I can't concentrate on what I'm there to do because I'm overly self-conscious and wonder what people are thinking. This way, I get my exercise and some fresh air on a beautiful trail and I do the rest in the privacy of my own home. Baby steps for me this time. I'd love to be able to complete a round of P90x when I reach my goal weight and have the body I've always wanted! But I am realistic, I am no where near physically capable of that type of activity right now! Slow and steady wins the race!

I don't want to get burned out this time, I want this to be a lifestyle change and stick with it! :drinker:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.