Tony Little's Gazelle Freestyle

Options
Hi everyone! For the past year I've been working on changing my lifestyle and exercise routine. Yesterday I nagged a Gazelle Freestyle for 10 bucks. I used it for the first time today for 50 minutes and didn't...well...I didn't feel like I worked out, at all. My legs were a little sore but that's it. My current weight is 5"3, 243lbs and supposedly I burned 580 calories...is that right? I didn't break a sweat or anything, even though I was going pretty vigorously. I haven't done much exercise, just diet change, and I'm starting to incorporate it now. I'm doing the gazelle for 50-60 minutes a day, four-five days a week.

TIA.

Replies

• dropping130ofme
    dropping130ofme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    xx
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sweat in not an indicator of how hard you are working but heart rate and perceived exertion is. Did you elevate your heart rate?
  • llkemp
    llkemp Posts: 15
    Options
    I
    Hi everyone! For the past year I've been working on changing my lifestyle and exercise routine. Yesterday I nagged a Gazelle Freestyle for 10 bucks. I used it for the first time today for 50 minutes and didn't...well...I didn't feel like I worked out, at all. My legs were a little sore but that's it. My current weight is 5"3, 243lbs and supposedly I burned 580 calories...is that right? I didn't break a sweat or anything, even though I was going pretty vigorously. I haven't done much exercise, just diet change, and I'm starting to incorporate it now. I'm doing the gazelle for 50-60 minutes a day, four-five days a week.

TIA.

I owned one of those, I really fell in the trap of they made it look good and sound good it's got to be good. so bought one used it faithfully and I never saw a difference and that was using it at least 4 to 5 days a week for over 6 months. so now its in the shed and I just walk with leslie sansone and I did invest in a tread climber,,,,but that's just my experience with it.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    We have one. I use it sometimes when I am watching t.v. just so I am doing something other than being parked on the couch. I don't know if I would base the whole of my exercise routine on it. I would rather walk, or hike.
  • dropping130ofme
    Options
    llkemp wrote: »
    I

TIA.

I owned one of those, I really fell in the trap of they made it look good and sound good it's got to be good. so bought one used it faithfully and I never saw a difference and that was using it at least 4 to 5 days a week for over 6 months. so now its in the shed and I just walk with leslie sansone and I did invest in a tread climber,,,,but that's just my experience with it.

That's what I'm worried about. I only snagged it because it was $10, and I saw a youtube review where the woman said she lost 50lbs by using that and of course, watching carbs.

• dropping130ofme
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Sweat in not an indicator of how hard you are working but heart rate and perceived exertion is. Did you elevate your heart rate?

I didn't have a machine to track, but I didn't feel any different. I'll track it tonight when I use it again.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by being in a caloric deficit. The cardio will help that deficit and allow you to earn extra calories.
  • rebeccatackett
    rebeccatackett Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have one of those. I have recently upgraded to an elliptical because I prefer it but when I did use the Gazelle, I felt it the next day. I Gazelled through a whole movie when I first bought it and my legs definitely felt it the next day. Of course, there are better machines but I don't think it's a total waste.
  • elfof2moons
    elfof2moons Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't know if its right or not but I have lost weight using my gazelle and counting calories. The weight loss increased when I added the gazelle. I have my doubts that what it says I burn I actually burn but I figure that it must be worth something if I have lost more with it.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you're still checking in but figured I'd share my experience.

I have a gazelle and love it. Don't know how much it burns but the main thing to keep in mind with that machine is that you only get out of it what you put in. Meaning, it can be an extremely easy work out (and probably not that many calories burned) Or you can really work it and probably get a decent burn.

To get a better workout, alternate leaning forward and backward while peddling to engage your arms more (NOT using it like a swing. That will get you a nasty fall). It's like doing mini push ups and pull ups (very mini because it's not as hard as real ones) Be warned,.. you need a little coordination and balance, Get used to the motions before you go all out.
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I had a gazelle years ago & I loved it. It actually got rid of the saddle bags I had and that made me so excited. As mentioned above lean forward, backwards and do it sideways.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Is it a hardcore workout? Nope, but it's a great place to start. Before MFP, I was EXACTLY where you are- 245 lbs, 5'3" and I started with the Gazelle that I bought for $20. It was good enough to get me motivated to start- I would do it while I watched TV. I went from 243 to 200lbs doing just the Gazelle and watching my food intake. Biut since, I've gone from a size 16 to a size 12 but have only lost maybe 10-12 more lbs because I started lifting weights and focused on fitness instead. I went from the Gazelle to running Spartan Races so I'm proof it's a good starter!