Ben Nevis Climb

Options
So when my Aunt mentioned that we wanted to climb Ben Nevis we kind of assumed she was a. drunk b. taking the mick or c. having a midlife crisis and so we all laughed and agreed with her that it was a "great idea". Well fast forward two days and she phones back to tell us that she has booked our flights, accommodation and hire car.

As a result, on the 30th May, my aunt, mum, brothers, cousin and myself will be climbing Ben Nevis!

Help!!! Im pretty sure i would be tired walking to Tesco right now as im soo unfit. Where do I start? Im guessing small walks and work up slowly? I also live near a forest which will be useful for hill walking. Any advice from anyone who has done it would be great. Thanks :smiley:

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hiking Ben Nevis looks difficult for someone that gets winded easily. Walk everyday and add a little more time each day. I would also get some hill climbing in at least weekly if not twice a week.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Here is a great website for you. Enjoy!! you have a great aunty!!!

http://www.walkuptheben.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/training-for-ben-nevis/
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Nevis isn't technically challenging, so it's a question of walking endurance.

Start in treckinbg shoes and work yourself up to being able to walk for 20 Km at an easy pace, 4kph. In April get good walking boots and break them in.

Get an idea of a kit list and familiarise yourself with it.

The tourist trail is a bit of a motorway, so prettty low risk.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Nevis isn't technically challenging, so it's a question of walking endurance.

Start in treckinbg shoes and work yourself up to being able to walk for 20 Km at an easy pace, 4kph. In April get good walking boots and break them in.

Get an idea of a kit list and familiarise yourself with it.

The tourist trail is a bit of a motorway, so prettty low risk.

^^ This. Climbed it a few times and it's a long trek with lots of zig zags to take some of the steepness out. Much of it is "stepped" to reduce erosion so you feel like you're on a long winding staircase for much of it. There is a final steeper section but again not climbing as such and may be snow-free when you make your trip. To be honest coming down can be tough on your knees/quads so introduce some lunges and squats to your daily exercise to strengthen those.

Enjoy...