Will the real Humpty Dumpty please stand up...

pr872
pr872 Posts: 7
edited January 2015 in Getting Started
First off, I'm not sure where this should be posted...Food & Nutrition? Tech Support/Need Help? I'm new and "Getting Started" so I put it here.

So my question is what is the real nutritional value/info on eggs? Sodium in particular.

On this site and other sites while researching I have found egg sodium values from zero up to around 200 (mg) and everything in between.

I eat eggs a few days a week and am watching sodium due to high BP and genetic disposition to heart disease, etc.

Most frequently I eat hard boiled & poached eggs.

Due to uncertainty on which value to use here on MFP I did a Google search for raw egg sodium content, hard boiled egg sodium content & poached egg sodium content...raw & hard boiled are the same but poached comes up with different nutritional values, sodium being the most drastic difference - hard boiled 62 mg vs. poached 149 mg.

So the puzzle to me is why is there such a drastic difference? It is not necessary to use salt in the making of poached eggs if you make them in boiling water, steam in a poaching pan w cup inserts or even microwave you poached eggs.

I know its not the end of the world but I am trying to be accurate in tracking sodium and the difference is more than double the sodium content (hard boiled vs. poached) and I am trying to decide which value to use. There have been days where I eat up to four eggs (maybe a couple for breakfast & a snack or in a salad) so this difference can add up for me.

So does cooking METHOD change the value between boiling an egg in the shell or out of the shell? Or steaming an egg? Or microwaving an egg?

Replies

• StarvingAuthor
    StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
    edited January 2015
    I'd imagine that the sodium differences in the cooked eggs is due to the assumption that you will salt the water. Otherwise, I can't imagine how the egg would gain salt through just a cooking method. There may be some science I am unaware of here. Personally, I'd just go with what your egg carton estimates the sodium per egg to be.

Edit: If you don't get more answers here, I'd try posting in Food and Nutrition. Good luck!