Cycling Challenge - January 2015 Biking Bike Bicycle

Options

Replies

• Sarah_Cycles
    Sarah_Cycles Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Rain in Raleigh. 45 min on trainer. All I could stand. No additional mileage though, I don't log trainer miles
  • jimmckenna68
    jimmckenna68 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have seen them. I use turbotripping mostly. Well done on the mileage today. Will follow your example and do some time tomorrow.
  • Sarah_Cycles
    Sarah_Cycles Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    elixile wrote: »
    I... I actually enjoy cycling!!

Welcome. Love your enthusiasm!
  • jimmckenna68
    Options
    CYCLING IS BRAW!!
  • jimmckenna68
    Options
    Too windy so 1hr20 on turbo trainer.
    Soaked, knackered and very happy.
  • ClareB13
    ClareB13 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Good job!! 45 mins is my most so far but I'm back on it tomorrow so might try for a longer but less intense session and see how that goes
  • jimmckenna68
    Options
    Yeah, longer, steady pace is good for burning fat. I'm daft, I can't help but go for it, end up a sweaty heap.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    January 1 - rode 8.3 miles for a duration of 1:05:00 (mountain biking)
    January 2 - rode 17.3 miles for a duration of 1:49:32 (singlespeeding)
    January 3 - rode 31.2 miles for a duration of 2:24:56 (foundation road miles)
    January 6 - rode 20 miles for a duration of 1:03:58 (included FTP test to set training zones)
    January 13 - rode 20 miles for a duration of 2:15:00
    January 16 - rode 20 miles for a duration of 1:15:00
    January 18 - rode 32 miles for a duration of 2:05:00
    January 21 - rode 20.8 miles for a duration of 1:30:14
    January 25 - rode 15.5 miles for a duration of 1:02:06

January Totals: 185.1 miles - 14:30:46 hours
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    For anyone wondering who CricketKate is and why she never posts: I started this monthly cycling thread back in 2012. Last summer, I got cancer and I haven't been on my bike since. I just wanted to say that, when my health is back and the snow is gone, I will be back to pushing pedals. In the meantime, know that I'm here, in the back ground, cheering you on.

Kate, I hear ya! Had diagnosis for breast cancer jan 2014, surgery in February and rad tx in April. Tried to ride in June and wore out in no time. Just now getting comfortable again on a bike. Be kind to yourself and comeback as you can. Everyone is different!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    1/6 - 11.7 miles in 40 min
    1/7 - 12.8 miles in 45 min
    1/9 - 38.3 miles in 2 hrs 31 min
    1/11 - 17.8 miles in 1 hrs 11 min
    1/14 - 12 miles in 40 min
    1/15 - 35.4 miles in 2 hrs 21 min
    1/16 - 8.8 miles in 30 min
    1/17 - 14.6 miles in 50 min
    1/18 - ~33.9 miles in ~2 hrs+ (forgot to restart computer)
    1/20 - 17.2 miles in 55 min
    1/21 - 10.1 miles in 35 min
    1/24 - 63.0 miles in 3 hrs 53 min (battery died and didn't record the last 5 miles - not included)
    1/23 - 25.4 miles in 1 hrs 42 min (recovery & pace line training)

Total: 301
    Goal: 300
  • jimmckenna68
    Options
    Are you trying to make us all feel guilty??
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Done (with a super-windy ride today in 25mph sustained winds). Off to Park City tomorrow for Sundance where I'll be strapping on the skis.

Upping my goal to 400 next month as my running, travel, and guest/visitor schedule will be a bit more manageable.

1/3 - 19 miles
    1/5 - 10 miles
    1/10 - 15 miles
    1/11 - 25 miles
    1/13 - 21 miles
    1/14 - 7 miles (tuning ride on the fixie)
    1/15 - 9 miles
    1/16 - 16 miles
    1/17 - 27 miles
    1/21 - 4 miles
    1/22 - 4 miles
    1/26 - 44 miles

Total: 201 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    i haven't been on a bike since i was 15 and landed on a helmet-less head... so... i bought a stationary bike for my living room. it's a spin-type bike, so i'm looking for good apps or you tube videos for an at home spin class... any suggestions? thanks!!!!!
  • jimmckenna68
    Options
    YouTube - "turbotripping" are great but you'll find links to others too
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    oboeing wrote: »
    i haven't been on a bike since i was 15 and landed on a helmet-less head... so... i bought a stationary bike for my living room ...

any suggestions? thanks!!!!!

I'd only try a helmet for the stationary bike if your region is prone to earthquakes, or if you are trying out rollers for the first time. Otherwise, I think you'll be safe risking it with a bare head indoors... definitely helps with ventilation.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    January 1 - rode 8.3 miles for a duration of 1:05:00 (mountain biking)
    January 2 - rode 17.3 miles for a duration of 1:49:32 (singlespeeding)
    January 3 - rode 31.2 miles for a duration of 2:24:56 (foundation road miles)
    January 6 - rode 20 miles for a duration of 1:03:58 (included FTP test to set training zones)
    January 13 - rode 20 miles for a duration of 2:15:00
    January 16 - rode 20 miles for a duration of 1:15:00
    January 18 - rode 32 miles for a duration of 2:05:00
    January 21 - rode 20.8 miles for a duration of 1:30:14
    January 25 - rode 15.5 miles for a duration of 1:02:06
    January 27 - rode 12.25 miles for a duration of 00:35:01

January Totals: 197.35 miles - 15:05:47 hours

• 49Elle
    49Elle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone... you are all putting in great distances, I am impressed. I am a 65yr old female working on the excess weight. I have major problems with my legs and some balance issues so with the added weight decided to buy a recumbent trike (tadpole).. got a Greenspeed Magnum and really loving it - managing 3 rides a week around the 8 mile mark - some flat, some grade, some hill, so the fitness is improving and the weight loss going in the right direction.

I've been looking at buying a fitness tracker, but the Fitbit from what I have read doesn't seem to cover cycling. I don't have a bike/trike computer and I believe not all computers are suitable for trikes.

Anyone here use a fitness tracker that covers cycling as well as steps? I probably should be looking at a HR as well to keep within the 'zone', but all advice appreciated as I am pretty new to all this techno gear.
    Cheers,
    Elle
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to make us all feel guilty??

Me? Yes, go ride. :) Just lucky the weather is dry and temp is in the mid 40s to high 50s. Can't wait for Day Light Saving to kick in and jettison the trainer (for the most part).
    oboeing wrote: »
    so i'm looking for good apps or you tube videos for an at home spin class... any suggestions?

A few I found/watch on the trainer but most of the time I just watch Netflix.
    12dream wrote: »
    Anyone here use a fitness tracker that covers cycling as well as steps? I probably should be looking at a HR as well to keep within the 'zone', but all advice appreciated as I am pretty new to all this techno gear.

I use my phone, IpBike for cycling and Endomondo for walks. I'm not sold on "steps" and prefer tracking distance and pace. Before you buy a HR monitor, take a read of Azdak's blog http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472. I use one but not for calorie counting as most folks tend to think it is use for, I use it to gauge my intensity along with the virtual power readout from IpBike (real power meters are still too pricy for me). Post ride evaluation using Golden Cheetah is a dream come true; wish I had that when I was racing collegiate back in the late 80s. I don't have the discipline to keep monitoring when riding outdoors but are building a good feel/base from my trainer sessions.
  • 49Elle
    49Elle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    12dream wrote: »

I use my phone, IpBike for cycling and Endomondo for walks. I'm not sold on "steps" and prefer tracking distance and pace. Before you buy a HR monitor, take a read of Azdak's blog http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472. I use one but not for calorie counting as most folks tend to think it is use for, I use it to gauge my intensity along with the virtual power readout from IpBike (real power meters are still too pricy for me). Post ride evaluation using Golden Cheetah is a dream come true; wish I had that when I was racing collegiate back in the late 80s. I don't have the discipline to keep monitoring when riding outdoors but are building a good feel/base from my trainer sessions.[/quote]

Hi, thanks for the reply but I would appreciate s
    ome clarification.
    IpBike..I take it that is an App for your Iphone? (I don't have a smart phone yet)
    "steps"?? I was thinking it would be good to monitor how much activity I actually did during the day - so walking general; treadmill and cycling

You "prefer tracking distance & pace" .. sounds good- are you talking cycling specific? When I have looked at cycling computers they mention ones with 'cadence' or not. Can you advise what is cadence?

HRM - I read the blog - thanks for the link. I wasn't so much wanting to know calorie counting as for effort intensity and to maintain a steady rate within a safe zone recommended for my age group (some of those hills make my heart pound away) and then resting recovery.. when I feel able to continue as normal, although still peddling just not with the same intensity.

Golden Cheetah... another app?

So more precisely I guestimate I am looking for a distance tracker for cycling that will also measure intensity for effort & fitness and a heart rate monitor to guage I am not over doing it.
  • jimmckenna68
    Options
    Hey! Kcjchang- the weather is -2c it's blowing a gale and snow is forecast! just wait til spring - then I will show!!