Weak back, need suggestions!

Options
jus4kix06
jus4kix06 Posts: 53 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So I've never really been in shape. I'm tall and I have horrible posture. I want to start working out but my back is extremely weak and I feel it is the main reason I give up so easily and don't push myself to do more. Does anyone have suggestions and what to do to make my back stronger and to improve my posture at the same time?

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I tend to have back problems too. Mostly I just stop whatever I am doing the moment I feel any discomfort at all in my back. Find something else to do. It's happened playing tennis, lifting weights, even just jogging. I've used Rodney Yee's Back Care Yoga DVD with some success, but not often. Also interested in hearing responses.
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Think of back problems as being a product of two things: not working your back and having a weak core. The more you improve your core, the better your back will feel. You can fool yourself into working your core by doing yoga, which is brilliant. Or you can do core specific exercises. Either way, you're gonna have to suck it up and PUSH YOURSELF if you want to get stronger. Now stop being a sugar britches and drop and give me 40 crunches!
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Pilates is very good. Great for straightening out any alignment issues, strengthening the core (to take the load off the back), and generally build flexibility and strength throughout your body.

Also a good calisthenics/ bodyweight programme will help sort out and strengthen your entire body, while also helping with things like balance, stability, joints and soft tissue. Exercise form is important though, so if you feel you would not be able to practice or learn good form easily, I would give this option a miss for right now, and look at it again down the line.

After a back problem, I used to do a little routine I got from my physio, then moved onto pilates, but these days all I do is calisthenics, and find I haven't had any issues with my back. I do walk a bit as well, and imagine that is helpful too, although probably only if your posture is not causing you additional problems by walking a bit.

Hope this helps. There's also a book called 'Yoga heals your back in 10 minutes; Routines that end back and neck pain', that I found very good to read, although have not really practiced any of it. None the less it looked good, and very accessible, and have heard others hold it in good regard.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Think of back problems as being a product of two things: not working your back and having a weak core. The more you improve your core, the better your back will feel. You can fool yourself into working your core by doing yoga, which is brilliant. Or you can do core specific exercises. Either way, you're gonna have to suck it up and PUSH YOURSELF if you want to get stronger. Now stop being a sugar britches and drop and give me 40 crunches!

Lol. I did 40 crunches, as directed! Sadly, I felt nothing in my abs but mild discomfort in my back towards the end. Ditto for plank I did yesterday. I have better luck with the ab machine at the gym.

• FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I had a really weak back and have been seeing a chiropractor for a number of years (I know it's not for everyone but it gives you a bit of background).

My suggestion would be to learn the difference between ache and pain. Don't give up because your back is aching but ease off if there is any pain.

roanokejoe is right, you need to strengthen your core muscles. It's going to be really uncomfortable at times.

When I started, I was trying to do kettle-bell figure-8s, kettle-bell swings, slam balls, planks, crunches etc and all of them were really uncomfortable. To the point where I couldn't continue.
    I ended up seeking the help of a personal trainer once per week. Before starting I had an honest discussion about the problems I've had with my back. I also know he keeps up to date with his training as the gym I'm at has fired trainers who don't keep up-to-date. He essentially has me doing a lot of stomach and back exercises (including those I was attempting before) and I work through the discomfort knowing that he'll tell me if my form is getting sloppy or if I'm doing anything badly.

I'm not recommending that you do anything that causes sharp pain, but in order to get stronger you're going to need to leave your comfort zone.

The good news is, the discomfort is worth it, the things I struggled to do at the beginning are easy now and I'm doing tougher versions (or with more weight).

My chiropractor says my back has never been in better shape and I'm seeing her less often to maintain my pain-free status.

Good luck!
  • jus4kix06
    Options
    iloseityes wrote: »
    Pilates is very good. Great for straightening out any alignment issues, strengthening the core (to take the load off the back), and generally build flexibility and strength throughout your body.

Also a good calisthenics/ bodyweight programme will help sort out and strengthen your entire body, while also helping with things like balance, stability, joints and soft tissue. Exercise form is important though, so if you feel you would not be able to practice or learn good form easily, I would give this option a miss for right now, and look at it again down the line.

After a back problem, I used to do a little routine I got from my physio, then moved onto pilates, but these days all I do is calisthenics, and find I haven't had any issues with my back. I do walk a bit as well, and imagine that is helpful too, although probably only if your posture is not causing you additional problems by walking a bit.

Hope this helps. There's also a book called 'Yoga heals your back in 10 minutes; Routines that end back and neck pain', that I found very good to read, although have not really practiced any of it. None the less it looked good, and very accessible, and have heard others hold it in good regard.

Thank you! I look into this book.

• ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I had a lower back injury a decade ago and it has caused issues basically since it happened. Pilates actually aggravated my back every single time I did it. However, I started lifting about three months ago and I have had zero back pain in the last 6 or 7 weeks.

I really suggest starting to do some basic weight lifting. What others have said about strengthening your core is critical too.
  • jus4kix06
    Options
    My problem is I don't really know which exercises to do to focus on my core and my back. I'm worried that my posture hinders my form greatly and because I've never really been one to workout I'm not sure I'd be able to point out if my form was wrong therefore causing more back pain?! If that makes any sense. I'm not overweight never really ever was but want to be stronger and more fit.
  • flexlyons
    Options
    DDP Yoga, look it up, give it a go!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I go to a water aerobics class called "back camp" and it is designed specifically to strengthen the core muscles that support the back as well as general cardio. I have had problems in my lower left back and the left hip and it has really helped. Some who attend also have had back surgery and said that it really helped their recovery.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    jus4kix06 wrote: »
    My problem is I don't really know which exercises to do to focus on my core and my back. I'm worried that my posture hinders my form greatly and because I've never really been one to workout I'm not sure I'd be able to point out if my form was wrong therefore causing more back pain?! If that makes any sense. I'm not overweight never really ever was but want to be stronger and more fit.

I've just been looking online and have found this
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/ss/Quick-Core-Workout.htm#step-heading

All of the exercises are ones that regularly appear in my workouts in some form or another along with push-ups, squats, Russian twists and lunges.

(I normally warm up with a walk or 5 minutes on a stationary bike or rower, but if you're at home you could jog on the spot or do jumping jacks to get your blood flowing).

In terms of knowing if you're doing things right - YouTube has all sorts of instructional videos for exercises, you could get someone to check your form for you or do the exercises in front of a full length mirror so you can check your form. (I always try to do planks in front of a mirror as I normally start with my hips too high & have to adjust.)
  • jus4kix06
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I go to a water aerobics class called "back camp" and it is designed specifically to strengthen the core muscles that support the back as well as general cardio. I have had problems in my lower left back and the left hip and it has really helped. Some who attend also have had back surgery and said that it really helped their recovery.

We have a fairly cheap water walking program in the summer through our local pool/water park! I love that, haven't done it in years but plan on doing it again once Summer hits!
  • jus4kix06
    Options
    FitFroglet wrote: »
    jus4kix06 wrote: »

I've just been looking online and have found this
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/ss/Quick-Core-Workout.htm#step-heading

All of the exercises are ones that regularly appear in my workouts in some form or another along with push-ups, squats, Russian twists and lunges.

(I normally warm up with a walk or 5 minutes on a stationary bike or rower, but if you're at home you could jog on the spot or do jumping jacks to get your blood flowing).

In terms of knowing if you're doing things right - YouTube has all sorts of instructional videos for exercises, you could get someone to check your form for you or do the exercises in front of a full length mirror so you can check your form. (I always try to do planks in front of a mirror as I normally start with my hips too high & have to adjust.)

Thanks! I'll look over this link! I'm only 26 and I'm not overweight so it seems crazy to me to have back pain like it do and suh poor posture! Blegh!!

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    What has worked best for me is a little-known program called Callanetics from the 1980's. It is wonderful at strengthening your core, and was, in fact, developed by a former ballerina with back trouble. The exercises are broken down into three categories: Hips, Legs, and Stomach. Check out some of the Callanetics videos on You Tube, perhaps this might be what you need. (Here's a demo of the Stomach exercises: https://youtube.com/watch?v=hTTpO0qtvvA)

The Stomach exercises are very strengthening to your core. Before I started doing them, I could plank for maybe 30 seconds. I was curious if there'd really been much improvement after a couple months, I still could only do half the reps in the video, so I checked how long I could hold a plank, to see if it was really improving me. Two minutes. One word of caution, though. If you try this, these exercises need to be done very slowly and deliberately, and you will not be able to complete the number of reps in the video for a very long time. Don't worry about that, just worry about getting your form correct. Trust me, I injured myself in the beginning by focusing on all the wrong things!
  • jus4kix06
    Options
    So much good advice here! Thanks everyone!
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    By the way, don't just restrict yourself to core-stuff.

The one thing I've learned from my own experiences, is that everything from the neck to the toes is connected, and a postural problem if not corrected will cause problems somewhere along that line in other regions.

That's why you often hear people with back issues often complain of issues in other areas such as their knees or feet for example. The key for me is correcting the root problem, and also strengthening your body to eliminate other weak points.

Pilates and yoga routines seem to do this easily enough, and would recommend going for a whole-body approach, rather than focussing on one area like the core alone.

Also, pilates should be rehabilitative, not painful, so if it's painful, either find a better instructor or consider a regressive step by visiting a physio who will then ready you for the next steps after physio.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Take a look at http://www.exrx.net for some excellent tools and exercises. There is a body map that you can click on to find the muscle and exercises to help with weakness. http://exrx.net/Lists/MFemale.html

If you have the $ you might spend some time with a trainer and have them help.
  • jus4kix06
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    Take a look at http://www.exrx.net for some excellent tools and exercises. There is a body map that you can click on to find the muscle and exercises to help with weakness. http://exrx.net/Lists/MFemale.html

If you have the $ you might spend some time with a trainer and have them help.

This is a great tool! Thanks a bunch!
  • tonetta51
    tonetta51 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor to give you some exercises to strengthen your back. I had a back injury and my doctor gave me 2 sheets of paper, one with exercises to strengthen my sacriliac and one to strengthen my lower back. I started doing them religiously and within 2 weeks my back felt better. I still do them but have modified them somewhat to be more yoga type poses and incorporated more poses. Yoga is the best to help strengthen any part of the body but be sure the instructor (whether it's in a class or on a DVD) tells you what your body is supposed to be feeling so you know you are doing them correctly. I like Wai Lana Hatha Yoga.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Try a back strengthening workout