Tips to reducing carbs?

Options
I thought I was doing a good job reducing carbs and increasing protein, but those pesky macros show otherwise. I avoid breads and pastas, but do start my day with the Quaker Weight Loss oatmeal (a bowl has 7g protein). I also tend to have one protein bar a day, so I get the good and the bad at the same time.

I'd like to get closer to the 40-30-30 if possible.

For those who went low carb, what tips do you have for me? Thanks!

Replies

• wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    For me, I've found that focusing on hitting my protein is the key. I plan ahead for my protein intake during the day and let the other two macros fall roughly into place. I generally have a protein bar every day, along with a protein shake on the days I work out. Other sources of protein I incorporate into my diet include cheese sticks, cottage cheese, yogurt (Greek yogurt and Kroger's store brand Carbmaster yogurt both have higher protein content than regular yogurt), lean means (lots of chicken, turkey, and lean beef), and fish.

Hope this helps!
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get my macrs into a more appropriate ratio, too, and I agree with what the previous poster said. I *try* to plan my day around protein and fat - if I focus on adding fish and nuts, I usually end up where I want to be at the end of the day.

It might help to look at the breakdown for the week though, too. I might have a few bad days where my carbs are through the roof, but then I cram in the lean meats and veggies for the remaining days of the week and my ratios fall almost where I'd like them to be.