Protein Shakes

Options
mjlong
mjlong Posts: 73 Member
Hey everyone,
I am wondering how many of you use a protein shake as a meal replacement? I don't but considering doing it. I have one a day after my workout. Then about an hour later I make myself some breakfast. Thoughts? Concerns? I am still eating around 1500 cals a day
Keep in mind I am trying to tone up.

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I drink them now and again or add the powder into other things I make but I don't use them as a meal replacement. Add them in after lifting. Keep in mind, protein shakes are a supplement and are not required if you can meet your protein goals from real food. Also, protein shakes will not help you "tone" up. If by "tone" up you mean lose body fat and gain muscle you need to eat at a surplus and lift HEAVY.
  • InspiredSAM
    InspiredSAM Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I can never drink them as a meal replacement. I'm like you, they hold me off for an hour or so.
  • MrBillson
    MrBillson Posts: 5
    Options
    Protein shakes are a processed fast food and should be treated as such. Consume them in moderation.

You can't 'tone up' as such. You need to either lose fat or build muscle. Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight, eat at a calorie surplus to gain muscle. (while meeting fat/protein requirements)

You cannot gain lean muscle and lose fat at the same time.