Egg question

Options
Would you cook an omelette the night before to have for breakfast the next morning at work?

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I'd cook it in the morning.
  • Misslove36
    Misslove36 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks x
  • sheliajim
    Options
    I work third shift and I often make an omelet to take to work, so yes, if it gives you a few extra minutes of sleep, or time in the shower, I sure would prepare it ahead of time. I've never had any issues as long as its kept in the fridge til use.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It takes 2 minutes to cook an omelet - I would cook it the last minute.
  • Pamtho2015
    Pamtho2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not tried omelette this way, but when I was a nanny the kid's mom would cook up scrambled eggs the night before and leave for me to reheat. You really couldn't tell the difference.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a muffin tin. I scramble up my eggs, add ingredients, then pour mixture into the muffin tin and bake in the oven on low to medium heat for 20ish minutes. Pop them out and store in the fridge. Reheat them for a quick and easy breakfast.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Never having been a fan of leftovers . . . On Christmas I made omeletes and I could not eat all of mine. I wrapped it up and popped it in the microwave for lunch and to my surprise it was just fine! I might try making one the night before to take to work myself!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    No way, definitely in the morning.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Definitely in the morning. Or make a quiche or frittata (or egg muffins) and you can just reheat that in the microwave in the morning.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Misslove36 wrote: »
    Would you cook an omelette the night before to have for breakfast the next morning at work?

I don't particularly like reheated eggs, so no. But you're talking about a dish that takes less than two minutes to make, so I would (and sometimes do) make it in the morning.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If I didn't have time to cook it in the morning and that is something I really wanted to eat the next day? Absolutely!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    If I didn't have time to cook it in the morning and that is something I really wanted to eat the next day? Absolutely!!

This. It's better to do it that morning, but I've made double omelets and saved half for leftovers and they come out okay. I'm weird and don't mind foods cold, though. It's the reheating where you might overdo it and ruin it. But try it and see.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    Back in culinary school we were taught the french method and it took about 45 seconds to make a 2 egg omelette.
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. It's fine
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I have a muffin tin. I scramble up my eggs, add ingredients, then pour mixture into the muffin tin and bake in the oven on low to medium heat for 20ish minutes. Pop them out and store in the fridge. Reheat them for a quick and easy breakfast.

I used to do this. Good way to pack vegetables in without them slopping out of an omelet.

But you can make omelets the night before. Don't feel bad about it either--you know how much time you have any what else you have to do before you leave the door.
  • __hannah_
    __hannah_ Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I can't eat any kind of leftover eggs, just doesnt taste right to me. I always eat omlettes immediately after cooking, they dont take very long to cook. If you want to save a little time you could prepare whatever you are putting in the omlette the night before like chop up some veggies or meat.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    How are you guys making omelettes in two minutes? Mine take forever -- I have to do them on super-low heat or they burn before the interior sets. What the heck am I doing wrong?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Yep - egg muffins are DELICIOUS!! They last about a week in the fridge - when I make them I have 2 in the mornings. You can put anything you want in them. I love them.

I guess since egg muffins are amazing you could easily make an omelet the night before - basically the same concept.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    How are you guys making omelettes in two minutes? Mine take forever -- I have to do them on super-low heat or they burn before the interior sets. What the heck am I doing wrong?

LOL yeah. I've managed to make an omelet once in my life. The rest of the time it just ends up in scrambled eggs because otherwise the bottom is burned and the top uncooked. That's why I do quiches instead, pretty much (could do egg muffins I suppose, but quiches are easy, just one thing to weigh).