Weights vs. Cardio

Options
Does anyone ever feel a little (or a lot) bloated after too much cardio. It seems like working at a good pace with the weights makes me feel slimmer. By good pace I mean doing a circuit rather than hanging out in one spot. I try to keep it to a 10 minute warm up (eliptical or treadmill), 35-40 minutes with weights and 20 minutes of cardio (elliptical) at the end. Anymore than that and it's bloat city. Does anyone else experience this? I would also just like to add that I use TDEE so I don't eat my exercise calories back and try very hard to hit my goal of 1769 everyday. Going under by more than 100 is also a negative as well. Ok....I could go on and on about the negatives (for me) of not eating enough but that's another topic which has been beaten to death. I was really just curious about the cardio. Thanks everyone : )

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Cardio is usually a higher calorie burn and is good for heart health. However it's not something you HAVE to do for weight loss or fat loss. Circuit training is a good way to get the benefits of both cardio and lifting.
    What it boils down to is that exercise that you believe you can do for life, is the exercise you should be doing. You can mix other things in for variety.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    My cardio consists of walking at least 5 miles every other day. Some people may think that it is easy going, but to keep the same pace for that length of time is really hard. It has helped to reduce the cellulite on my butt and back of my thighs. Now the inner thigh is my nightmare, so I have started The Firm Lower Body Split to target those areas and Paul Katami Kettle Bells (on different days). I get a good burn with both, hence walking the next day.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    It is not cardio "vs" weights. It is finding the balance of the two that meets your goals.

On that, not sure why cardio would make you feel more bloated at all.