Carbs to eat for maintaining/gaining lean muscle mass

Options
Hi,

I am 5'9" and have brought my weight down from 177lbs to 144lbs which I am more than happy with. My aim now is to maintain this weight or even add a few pounds back on but in the form of lean muscle mass while keeping my body fat around it's current 20%. I lift heavy weights with little to no cardio 4-5 days per week and have targeted myself 2300 calories per day. This is a lot higher than what I was on while losing weight. I would like some advice on foods that I can incorporate to hit my calorie goal and also some high carb post workout foods that aren't going to bloat me in the way in which bread does. I am hitting my protein intake ok but the carbs are a problem for me. Does this matter if it is muscle I am looking to build? I supplement my weight training program with Dymatise Whey Protein Isolate, BCAAs, Glutamine, ZMAs, Omega 3-6-9, Iron, Vitamin D, Calcium, green shakes and Creatine. I also take pre workout and intra workout to aid my training sessions (have tried cutting these out of my routine but they're there to stay before anyone suggests it).

Overall what I'm aiming for is to build muscle, keep bodyfat low, keep vascularity in upper body and stomach while at the same time not lose any further weight.

Steph

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Make sure you understand, when you gain muscle, you will also gain fat. It's inevitable. I would probably put your macros around 45% carbs, 30% fats and 25% protein. That should allow you to hit 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass (actually a bit more).

Honestly, i think you supplement too much. Honestly a good Whey will contain the BCAAs you need. Outside of that, i would only do a one a day and fish oil (unless you need the extra vitamin D or iron). Most supplements are not really worth it and not as effective as getting the nutrients from diet.

If you need more carbs, you can add ice cream, starches, or dairy. I have seen some recommendations during a bulk to eat gummy bears to help replenish glycogen fast to help aid the repair process.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying!

I'm currently taking slightly more protein than that (around 165-175g daily) due to weight training. The supplements I take are based around training and on rest days I don't take BCAAs or Creatine and even then these are both taken as 5g pre and post workout. Might cut back on the BCAAs like you advise though as these are also in my intra workout drink. The Vitamin D is just a part of the Calcium tablets I take and I was recommended to take Iron tablets due to bruising easily. I have exzema also and that is why things like dairy and ice cream are avoided as it will cause an outbreak with my skin. Instead of gummy bears I have 2 rice cakes with jam post training to replenish glycogen levels. What kind of starchy foods would you recommend though? I'd heard things like quinoa are good for carb intake but have yet to give them a go. Oh and I'm also going for a food intolerance test tomorrow as I think bread is disagreeing with my stomach so we'll see what else I'll have to cut out then lol
  • psuLemon
    Options
    stephxo1 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying!

I'm currently taking slightly more protein than that (around 165-175g daily) due to weight training. The supplements I take are based around training and on rest days I don't take BCAAs or Creatine and even then these are both taken as 5g pre and post workout. Might cut back on the BCAAs like you advise though as these are also in my intra workout drink. The Vitamin D is just a part of the Calcium tablets I take and I was recommended to take Iron tablets due to bruising easily. I have exzema also and that is why things like dairy and ice cream are avoided as it will cause an outbreak with my skin. Instead of gummy bears I have 2 rice cakes with jam post training to replenish glycogen levels. What kind of starchy foods would you recommend though? I'd heard things like quinoa are good for carb intake but have yet to give them a go. Oh and I'm also going for a food intolerance test tomorrow as I think bread is disagreeing with my stomach so we'll see what else I'll have to cut out then lol

Potatoes, rice, pasta, bread or quinoa if you like. You can also eat some more fruit.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Snicker, icecream or strawberries and Nutella are my, go to, post workout snacks. Not saying they are the most efficient/optimal sources but I'm happy with them.

Edit: just read the rest :$ my brother has the same issues with dairy and exzema - have you tried soya ice-cream - haven't had it in years but we used to have it when we were kids, very nice.
  • psuLemon
    Options
  • stephxo1
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    stephxo1 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying!

Potatoes, rice, pasta, bread or quinoa if you like. You can also eat some more fruit.

Yeah going to increase my fruit intake. I was off it for months bar the odd pineapple chunks and blueberries while reducing body fat so I'll try that. Didn't realise there were so many carbs in fruit either whic probably won't lead to bloating. Thanks :)
  • stephxo1
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Snicker, icecream or strawberries and Nutella are my, go to, post workout snacks. Not saying they are the most efficient/optimal sources but I'm happy with them.

Oh I love my nutella on rice cakes, that's sometimes my late night snack although houmous with bread sticks or crackers have been a favourite lately. Oh and I haven't had strawberries with nutella in soooo long so they're being bought tomorrow too. Thanks :)
  • stephxo1
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

Edit: just read the rest :$ my brother has the same issues with dairy and exzema - have you tried soya ice-cream - haven't had it in years but we used to have it when we were kids, very nice.

I'll check that out too, thanks. Getting a food intolerace test done tomorrow as my skin flares up and my stomach gets pretty upset quite often so there may just be more food added to the 'not to have' list! Great!!! Just when I'm trying to lean bulk!
  • stephxo1
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Thanks for the link. Sitting in the middle of a nightshift at the mo so this is going to be my reading material for the next while :) Gummy bears are also being bought on the way home tomorrow! Who'd have thought that sweets after training were a good thing?!? No complaints here though.