Alcohol Question

Hello! I don't normally drink alcohol but it's the new year and my loooong work week finally ended so I picked up some Bud Lite Straw-ber-rita's, since I really, really wanted to try one. Anyhoo, I have a few questions about them and alcohol in general.

1. Does -anyone- know what artificial sweetener they use and how much of it? It says no where on the can or the box (I looked in the store), in fact I cannot find any nutritional information anywhere aside from calories/carbs.

2. Can 8% alcohol get you tipsy or drunk? And if so how long does it usually last?

3. If I were to relax and fall asleep after drinking one within an hour or less (they are 16oz cans with 8% alc) and wake up roughly 2 hours later, will I still be tipsy/drunk? I have no idea how long it takes for alcohol to move through your system.

Sorry for the dumb/stupid questions, but I can't ask anyone I personally know without being made fun of.

Replies

• tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    I don't like that stuff; it makes me act weird. tastes good, but with embarrassing results.

8% not only can, but WILL get you drunk. budweiser is 5%. and it lasts as long as it takes your body to burn it off. carbs can help soak it up. late night fast food cruz-thrus depend on this.

eat first. not, like, an entire pizza, or anything. just make sure you're not drinking on an empty stomach. a few general rules of thumb: "beer, beer, water." "liquor before beer, you're in the clear; beer before liquor, never been sicker." and drink at LEAST 8oz (I go for 16) of water before you crash out.

have fun. don't drive drunk.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    One drink lasts one hour. So a beer, a glass of wine, or a shot of alcohol gets removed by your liver in one hour, unless of course your liver does not work right. Sure, you'll be tipsy, but not 2 hours later if it was just one beer. A beer typically has around 150 calories for 12 ounces (standard can) so you should probably log that amount. The real problem with alcohol if you ask me is that it gives people the munchies while lowering their inhibitions, which can cause weight gain if done more than on the rare occasion. :/ That's what screwed me up during the holiday and now I have to lose that weight back off again.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    oh wait u said 16 oz. Okay, increase the calories to go with that amount. And it may take like an hour and a half or thereabouts to sober up.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Well, 8% will get the OP tipsy/maybe drunk, most likely, depending on the rate of consumption. Alcohol affects everyone differently, etc, etc, platitudes.

As for the artificial sweetener ... unfortunately they don't have to list the ingredients, so they don't. I would assume it's aspartame or sucralose. Neither of which I, personally, am a fan of, but I also found recently that I hate stevia, too, so meh.

Regarding number three: Basically it depends on your weight. I found this to be interesting ...
    Alcohol burns off at a precise rate of .016 BAC per hour, about equal to 1 standard drink each hour (depending on your weight). This rate is true regardless of the size of your body. A 5'2" female burns off alcohol at the same rate as a 6'1" obese male.

In an average 150 pound person, for example, each drink adds 0.02% to BAC and [each] hour that passes removes 0.01% from it. This is why alcohol concentrations build steadily throughout a drinking session.
    So that is to say if you weighed 150 lbs one of those straw-ber-itas might add .02% BAC (I'm not going to actually bother thinking enough to do the math on it, that sounds good enough, though) so after two hours the alcohol will be metabolized by your body—in that specific example, though, of course.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    I would rather have bourbon, but that isn't helpful. <3
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    edited January 2015
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I would rather have bourbon, but that isn't helpful. <3

Bourbon is always helpful.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Agreed, bourbon is wonderfulness liquified. Bourbon almost made me write "personified".

I highly recommend Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond (white label). It's quite good.