High exercise levels but eat and drink too much rubbish - a possible plan

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I quit coke cold turkey and honestly it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Maybe you could try flavored seltzer or something instead... or switch to diet coke.

I don't see anything wrong with the bacon sandwich unless it's fried and there's a ton of butter or something... I mean it's something you could make at home for 400 calories or so, which is not an issue. When you eat out at lunch, look for nutrition info on what you're ordering, you can eat under 500 calories easily at Subway. The only thing with having two sandwiches a day is that it's a lot of calories used on bread, which really isn't filling for the calories.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I switched from regular to Diet Coke and that helped me quit since Diet Coke is nasty but you still get the brown fizzy drink.

OMG I would kill for a fountain Coke right now. It's been at least a year.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    BMR is basal metabolic rate, so I'm assuming that you meant TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). You shouldn't and MFP doesn't set your caloric goal below your BMR to lose weight.

Other than that, do you do weight training? Trying to build muscle mass would help burn more calories. Shoot for eating about 1g per lb of lean body mass. This will look like a lot, but it will help to fill you up really quickly. Also, like everyone else said...water, water, water! :)

Good luck!
  • Genetic_Drift
    Genetic_Drift Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Rdlord75 wrote: »
    Generic_Drift - measurement was from my new Salter digital scales. I have no ide how accurate it is, how would I be able to check elsewhere? From my doctor maybe?

Hey Rdlord75,

Check out this article about body fat percentage: nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/

The pictures are really the most helpful bit; they give you an idea of what different body fat percentages look like.

I use digital scales for the same purpose; they're roughly accurate but they're not the most accurate way to measure, and can vary with your water levels. The article compares several methods, I think scales are good for the price and convenience vs accuracy trade off. I'd check the instructions for your particular scales in case they have any specific requirements on using the body fat percentage measurement.

This is a prediction of what your body fat percentage would be given the stats you provided, based on US FDA/CDC standards. Again, if you're super muscled then the prediction will be way off. wolframalpha.com/input/?i=male+age+39+height+175cm+weight+111kg
  • peter7361
    peter7361 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Rdlord75 wrote: »
    Switching away from coke to any other drink will be tough as with all addictions. The reliance and adjustment needed will be the harder part.

Giving up the coke is probably one of the best diet changes that you can make. 1.5 liters a day is an additional 600 calories. Even if that's the only change you make, that's 4200 calories per week, which works out to approximately 1.2 lbs (.544 kg) per week that you'd lose, assuming you're currently eating at maintenance level. Cutting out coke isn't easy to do at first, but after a few days, you'll start to wonder why you ever drank it in the first place. If you need the caffeine, there are plenty of teas or coffee that can fill the void that don't have all the sugar and calories of coke.