Diabetic advice.

Options
When I started my plan I was taking 2 shots of insulin a day (type II). After one month and ten days I had gotten down to no insulin at all. My last a1c was 5.7. I'm sure it has been because I have had 6 spaced out meals a day with 15 carbs each. Now I've lost my weight and using calories I think I know how to maintain that. But how do I maintain my awesome sugar? How many carbs per meal for regular eating?

Replies

• RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Congrats on your progress but ahhhm I think this is a question best answer by your physician or a professional nutritionist.
  • dygray
    dygray Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I really don't know who to trust because they weren't the ones who got me here and they are totally surprised!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'm not following your comment on the lack of trust with your health care providers. Did they not offer any advice or was the 6 meals at 15 carbs/meal plan your idea ?
    dygray wrote: »
    how do I maintain my awesome sugar? How many carbs per meal for regular eating?
    If what you're currently doing is working why change? Is it not sustainable? Do you want to go back to 3 regular sized meals? I find that having small snacks throughout the day helps keep my bgl stable.

A general rule of thumb for T2 diabetics is no more than 45g/carbs per meal and 150g/day.
    Some diabetics manage on fewer carbs, others manage to get by with higher numbers. It's an individual thing.

It's wonderful that your blood glucose level is under control. The goal of course is long term bgl control. Keep up the good work. If you do decide to make changes then take small steps. Carefully track your carbs and use your meter to see how you respond. Consult with your doctor and nutritionist regarding changes in your diet.

• dygray
    Options
    No it was a diet recommended by friends. My doctor helped with dropping the level of insulin as I went along but that's all. I just needed some advice from people who are actually experiencing and maintaining the blood sugar levels. Like you! I do like the small between meal snacks. I just need to add back calories now that I am at my goal weight and I appreciate your advice thanks!
  • ecclesse
    ecclesse Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would recommend adding some additional carbs to each of your meals and to continue testing your BG after meals to see how your body reacts. If my BGL does not drop back down to less than 120 after an hour, I drop that food from my routine and try something else.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic but I follow a diabetic diet because I'm insulin resistant and have chronic hypoglycemia. My dietician told me to eat 15-30 grams of carbs per meal and no more than 15 grams per snack.
  • djd41
    djd41 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    With diabetes you must get to know your own body [you are your principal doctor] and with limit guidance from a medical professional determine YOUR optimum number of carbs per day. I've been T1D [Type One Diabetes], using insulin, for almost 60 years [been using an insulin pump for 10 years - running 24 hours each day] and for years kept my HB A1c between 5.9 and 6.1. I'm currently eating about 225 grams of carbs per day spread over 6 meals, stay relatively active and right now struggling to get my weight back up to 150 - I'm 5' 10.5". Carbohydrates supply your energy, so match consumption to your activity level.
  • dygray
    Options
    Great advice yall! I feel like I might be able to get a handle on this! Thanks so much.
  • annettenucaro777
    annettenucaro777 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am VERY proud of you. I was very drawn to your specific post. I am 39. This is my first time posting any comments on here. I recently lost 183 lbs. I weighed 320lbs I was overweight my whole life. So this new thin body is a little foreign to me, however I am very blessed and I know God has set me free! I had Type 2 diabetes. A1 C was 7 just 2 years ago. Now I am Diabetes free. I am free of all my diseases. High cholesterol, Triglycerides were 398 now 103. Acid reflux gone
  • annettenucaro777
    annettenucaro777 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I am VERY proud of you. I was very drawn to your specific post. I am 39. This is my first time posting any comments on here. I recently lost 183 lbs. I weighed 320lbs I was overweight my whole life. So this new thin body is a little foreign to me, however I am very blessed and I know God has set me free! I had Type 2 diabetes. A1 C was 7 just 2 years ago. Now I am Diabetes free. I am free of all my diseases. High cholesterol, Triglycerides were 398 now 103. Acid reflux gone
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I WAS in exactly the same vote as you. I was on pills for my diabetes, started weight loss. Went back to my doctor for help when I hit a brick wall and his answer was you are doing fine. I did some research and found out that if I wanted to become pregnant I would have to see an endocrinologist they deal with diabetes. I lied at the time and got my doctor to refer me to one (he would not before that). Started seeing the endo took classes. Then started that journey with a bit more of my own - started bootcamp and started eating better. I was taken off my medication completely. You have done amazing. I would say keep up the same thing and just make sure your doctor keeps checking your AIC/levels. Or see if you can see an endocrinologist.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    dygray wrote: »
    I really don't know who to trust because they weren't the ones who got me here and they are totally surprised!

look around and see if you can find a certified diabetic educator. Some Dr's are, but you are more likely to find one among APNP's. Check with your insurance company or the healthcare group your Dr. belongs to. Registered dieticians can help too, but you are better off finding someone who specializes in diabetic care.