Anyone do green juices?

Options
Balaru
Balaru Posts: 203 Member
What's your favorite? How often do you juice? May juice for a couple days to get the holiday junk out....

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No. Only purple drank.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I got a drawer of Kool-Aid. What flavor you want?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Get the holiday junk out of what?

You ever notice those pop up ads that says "Just eat this (insert image of gross plant or bug here} and you'll lose weight!"

They are targeting the folks who think they must suffer and choke down something miserable to lose weight effectively.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    What holiday junk? Everything I make and eat is delicious. I don't juice, but I usually drink a green smoothie which is really heavy on the spinach, and the spirulina I put in it makes it really green. It also has bananas, almond milk, and blueberries in it'
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I should have directed this to the vegetarians in the group. Watch the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" or "Forks Over Knives" & you'll know what I am talking about. Not a quick fix or fad diet. It's a cleanse. And because of the fruit it really doesn't taste green at all. Mine had spinach, Apple, celery, satsuma and ginger. I was out of cucumbers. Really boosts the energy levels. By Christmas junk I mean those indulgences I allowed myself during the holidays that have me feeling a bit sluggish. Other websites about this subject are Kris Carr, Dr John McDougall, Dr. Edelstein and Engine 2 with Rip Esysten (so), the China study etc. Usually will have one as breakfast or snack. Great way to get the fruits and veggies in. Trying to see what combos of fruits and veggies people use. Not looking for a debate or negativity. Thanks - Happy New year
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Balaru wrote: »
    I should have directed this to the vegetarians in the group. Watch the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" or "Forks Over Knives" & you'll know what I am talking about. Not a quick fix or fad diet. It's a cleanse. And because of the fruit it really doesn't taste green at all. Mine had spinach, Apple, celery, satsuma and ginger. I was out of cucumbers. Really boosts the energy levels. By Christmas junk I mean those indulgences I allowed myself during the holidays that have me feeling a bit sluggish. Other websites about this subject are Kris Carr, Dr John McDougall, Dr. Edelstein and Engine 2 with Rip Esysten (so), the China study etc. Usually will have one as breakfast or snack. Great way to get the fruits and veggies in. Trying to see what combos of fruits and veggies people use. Not looking for a debate or negativity. Thanks - Happy New year

Those are all someone else's agenda. Just eat in a calorie deficit and you are golden :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Those are all someone else's agenda. Just eat in a calorie deficit and you are golden :)
    bingo.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Hey! I watched both of those films on Netflix & found them inspiring. I was excited to try making my own (just Ninja Blender) just for variety alone. I was very, very, very surprised that I enjoyed it! I started with that basic film recipe and then started playing around with it. Funny, but I like the simple recipe with a strong spinach add and I like it icy! I would say I make them occasionally when the mood strikes. I feel as if I get a spirited boost that is difficult to explain.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

QFT
  • New_Me73
    Options
    I have yet to find a green juice that I like! Love beet and carrot juice but so far have not been able to stomach a green juice! Any recipe ideas of a "good" tasting green juice?
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Why are people so rude here? If ypu dont drink green juice....fine. but there is NOTHING wrong with it if the OP wants to.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't use green juice as a meal replacement just as a healthy mid morning snack. I make them using the VitaMix and put them in a canning jar into my lunch bag for work.

My usual combo is:
    -handful of spinach
    -an apple or banana
    -mini cucumber
    -ground chia seeds
    -raw honey from our own bees (!!)
    -splash of water and two ice cubes

For today's I did not have a cuke so I did 1/2 apple, spinach, and a handful of frozen raspberries and frozen strawberries (all organic). Came to under 100 calories and also I don't "juice" I do smoothies so I get all the fiber. :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    New_Me73 wrote: »
    I have yet to find a green juice that I like! Love beet and carrot juice but so far have not been able to stomach a green juice! Any recipe ideas of a "good" tasting green juice?

See my recipe above. Very refreshing and tasty!

• Onesnap
    Options
    Hey! I watched both of those films on Netflix & found them inspiring. I was excited to try making my own (just Ninja Blender) just for variety alone. I was very, very, very surprised that I enjoyed it! I started with that basic film recipe and then started playing around with it. Funny, but I like the simple recipe with a strong spinach add and I like it icy! I would say I make them occasionally when the mood strikes. I feel as if I get a spirited boost that is difficult to explain.

I love the random documentaries I find on Netflix! :) For me the green juice is the perfect mid morning snack at work. Plus it's low calorie and full of fiber since mine are made in the blender (like yours). :)

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice anyone being rude. They were just letting her know that cleanses are rubbish. They don't do anything for you. Weight loss = Energy in < Energy out. Detoxes, cleanses, and the like are useless. Your kidneys detox for you. There's nothing wrong with drinking green juice. It just isn't going to do anything..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

if you are doing a "cleanse' then yes it is a quick fix or fad diet.

You body naturally cleanses itself…

unless of course your liver and kidneys are not working…

if you don't want a debate, don't post in an open internet forum.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

I am vegan. And have seen/read all of the above. Fat Sick and Nearly Dead plays like an infomercial. I wasn't trying to be rude, but really I don't consider anything I eat junk.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    sassyjae21 wrote: »
    I didn't notice anyone being rude. They were just letting her know that cleanses are rubbish. They don't do anything for you. Weight loss = Energy in < Energy out. Detoxes, cleanses, and the like are useless. Your kidneys detox for you. There's nothing wrong with drinking green juice. It just isn't going to do anything..

Like I said I don't drink the juice to detox...it's just a healthy mid morning snack for me. Plus, for me personally the raw honey and chia seeds help with inflammation (something I have to combat due to having psoriasis in my finger nails...but so far so good in preventing it from spreading per my dermatologist). Anyway, I think it's best to use the VitaMix to keep the fiber in so it's not technically green juice but a smoothie.

• kelvincornish1
    Options
    I don't juice but use my wonderful nutribullet to make a green drink which I have most days. Usually consists of kale and/or spinach plus avocado as the staples. Then it is carrot, cucumber, bell pepper or whatever is in the fridge. Always add freshly squeezed lime juice, ginger and for some protein some mixed seeds and nuts. This is my wake up "meal".
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I buy green juices (Bolthouse, Naked, whatever) sometimes because they're tasty and they give me a nice nutrient boost for the day. I find juicing a little wasteful as a daily practice, though, so I don't own a juicer and don't drink the storebought juices regularly.