40 tips to lose weight

Options
Found this article and I thought it is actually pretty cool and I cannot wait to try some of those little techniques

http://www.rd.com/health/diet-weight-loss/how-to-lose-weight/

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Claudia,

Just my two cents. :)

The only thing required to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit. In my opinion, number one should have been this.

Looking at yourself in a mirror while eating, or cutting out certain foods, or doing any of those other things, is preference only and do not necessarily lead to weight loss.

The bottom line is that a person can do all 40 of those things but will not lose weight unless they eat less calories than they burn.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No to most of these.
    Starting with:
    1- writing down what I eat does absolutely nothing if total calories are over calories burned.

5- there is absolutely nothing wrong with not sticking to just water after breakfast. I drink iced tea all day.

7- TV doesn't make you overweight. Not being active does.

9- by the Tim my stomach "rumbles" I am nauseous.

11- just no.

12- sounds like an amazing way to begin an eating disorder.

15- walking will not make you lose weight if you do not adjust your caloric intake.

16- prepared food is NOT the enemy.

17- nope. Don't have time for that.

19- not sure what "closing" the kitchen has to do with weight loss.

24- nope. Work 12-16 hour shifts and you can bet I will be eating at work.

26- large groups are NOT the enemy.

30- NO! Demonizing foods is not healthy.

32- there are no "fat releasing foods"

34- cereals can contain lots of calories depending on the type. Also, you don't need to eat breakfast to lose weight.

35- no. Certain foods do not cause you to burn more calories.

39- your body can not tell when you eat. You can eat anytime of day, even *gasp* right before bed.

Most of these are just recycled myths about weightloss that are a solute my ridiculous.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I agree about calories being the bottom line, but there are some pretty neat ideas here for those not counting as well. I just spend a couple of months on maintenance and I did not count calories, and some of these tips would have been helpful for keeping my weight steady, or even losing a bit I imagine. Lol at the eating in front of the mirror especially - yes that would definitely work for me.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I watch TV while I'm doing cardio, and you're insane if you think I'm going to look at myself shoveling kale into my gob so the mirror thing is a no. And eating most of my calories before noon leaves me unbearably hungry at night.

But there are some pretty good tips in there. Eating at home, loading your dishes with veggies, and working more activity into your day are all tried and true.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    some of those are good, but others are so wrong that i can't take any of this seriously.
  • estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    this is the site i use to look at how many calories i need for either maintaining, losing or gaining, and it shows per amount each week you prefer to lose.
    http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
    And then the other part of the site shows ALL of the formulas to show what your weight should be and you can choose out of all of them what you prefer as ideal weight.
    http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html
  • elphie754
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    some of those are good, but others are so wrong that i can't take any of this seriously.

Lol that is exactly my train of thought.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Eating in front of a mirror? Is that to make you ashamed of yourself???
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I worked for a magazine for five years and I will never again trust "tips" from a mag. Basically, there's a list generated before the beginning of each year with articles to be written (besides breaking news), and there's advertising. Room is left in each edition to come up (quickly) with a tie-in article with the most expensive ads, and/or aimed at drawing in advertisers. The writers are not necessarily "experts" (unless specifically stated as such, and even then, if I were to come up with two related articles, I could pitch myself as someone well versed in the subject matter...and place this in my bio).

So what you're often getting, particularly in consumer mags, is based on money (well, obviously) and not on some secret expert who has waited all her life to reveal her wealth of knowledge in one $75 article (or more if there isn't enough ad space, so she is required to come up with a ton of filler...well, or bigger pictures).

I know that comes off as totally jaded, but really, what you're reading could have come from some 420-lb. person who just happened to need to make money that month, and knows zip about nutrition, health or even just basic CICO, but does know how to use Google and how to come up with a hook beginning, sprinkle in catch-phrases and close it all up with a "summary" that's tight.

Not accusing this author specifically, LOL. I don't want to cast aspersions on the author. Just saying...take "informative" articles (especially health, money or beauty articles) with a grain of salt.
  • elphie754
    Options
    twopeas2 wrote: »

Nah... It's for making sure you don't miss your mouth while eating :-p
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I worked for a magazine for five years and I will never again trust "tips" from a mag. Basically, there's a list generated before the beginning of each year with articles to be written (besides breaking news), and there's advertising. Room is left in each edition to come up (quickly) with a tie-in article with the most expensive ads, and or aimed at drawing in advertisers. The writers are not necessarily "experts" (unless specifically stated as such, and even then, if I were to come up with two related articles, I could pitch myself as someone well versed in the subject matter...and place this in my bio).

So what you're often getting, particularly in consumer mags, is based on money (well, obviously) and not on some secret expert who has waited all her life to reveal her wealth of knowledge in one $75 article (or more if there isn't enough ad space, so she is required to come up with a ton of filler...well, or bigger pictures).

I know that comes off as totally jaded, but really, what you're reading could have come from some 420-lb. person who just happened to need to make money that month, and knows zip about nutrition, health or even just basic CICO, but does know how to use Google and how to come up with a hook beginning, sprinkle in catch-phrases and close it all up with a "summary" that's tight.

Not accusing this author specifically, LOL. I don't want to cast aspersions on the author. Just saying...take "informative" articles (especially health, money or beauty articles) with a grain of salt.

Facebook-Like-Button.jpg
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

lol Well maybe I SHOULD do that :p
  • elphie754
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

lol Well maybe I SHOULD do that :p

Lol. It is advisable to drink in front of a mirror as well so you don't poke your eye out with a straw. :-p