What are veggies?

Options
Hi! i basically know nothing bout vegetables. my mother used to always just heat up those frozen ones and claim them as real veggies. i was wondering if any of you guys know what to do with vegetables, any good recipes, any veggies you like.... i know nothing

Replies

• Cassmarie28
    Options
    Pinterest simple vegetables.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My favourite is steamed brocolli and carrots. I think you might need to look up vegetable preparation on Google and see if someone has a simple guide to preparing vegetables. Good luck!

Ps nothing wrong with frozen veggies but fresh ones are much more delicious!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    housenoob wrote: »
    Hi! i basically know nothing bout vegetables. my mother used to always just heat up those frozen ones and claim them as real veggies. i was wondering if any of you guys know what to do with vegetables, any good recipes, any veggies you like.... i know nothing

Frozen veg is fine, being frozen doesn't make them not 'real'
  • housenoob
    housenoob Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    thanks for the pinterest idea. pinterest was made for fancy cooking.
  • Cassmarie28
    Options
    I don't feel that Pinterest is for fancy cooking, honestly today I learned how to properly steam vegetables.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    amazon.com/Maxi-Aids-Steamer-Basket/dp/B003E6NPUE

But a steamer like this on Amazon or Target or Walmart.
    Buy some cut up broccoli or vegetable of choice.
    Put water in a pot, add steamer, add broccoli.

Result: Steamed broccoli.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are real. They aren't as yummy as fresh, but they keep longer!

There are a lot of recipes online. Remember that drowning veggies in sauces, sugars, butter and cheeses doesn't undo the good you get with the veggies, but eating the veggies doesn't undo the calories, salt and fats in the stuff you add. Choose wisely. :)

Ask your friends and relatives for recipes and look online. :)
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Most veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, turnips, zucchini, eggplant, to name only my staples) can be cut into 1"x1" pieces, sprinkled with salt and olive oil and roasted in the oven for 25 minutes (at, like 350 F). That's simple and yummy, and you will get to know their tast like that to find out what you like.
    Also, find a list of veggies that can be eaten raw. (Carrots and cucumbers for a start).