Options

Replies

• elily223
    Options
    Thank you everyone :smile:
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    > It's true that breakfast kicks starts your metabolism and helps prevents you from snacking through the day or gorging at lunchtime.

No it really isn't true
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    breakfast is not the most important meal ..

just eat when you are hungry and don't worry about meal timing...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    stephxo1 wrote: »
    It's true that breakfast kicks starts your metabolism and helps prevents you from snacking through the day or gorging at lunchtime. Plus it depends what your goals are. I personally need a good breakfast in order to fuel my muscles for the day ahead and it always includes eggs or oats or sometimes both. Everyone is different tho and eat when you feel like eating but just make good food choices x

total bro science….

what about body builders that do IF and don't eat for first 16-18 hours of the day? Are they not "fueling" their muscles….
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's true that breakfast kicks starts your metabolism and helps prevents you from snacking through the day or gorging at lunchtime. Plus it depends what your goals are. I personally need a good breakfast in order to fuel my muscles for the day ahead and it always includes eggs or oats or sometimes both. Everyone is different tho and eat when you feel like eating but just make good food choices x

The former statement? Not true. The latter? Not for everyone (in my case it does, but others feel the urge to snack FROM eating early).
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

total bro science….

what about body builders that do IF and don't eat for first 16-18 hours of the day? Are they not "fueling" their muscles….

Hmmm maybe I have been led down the bro science path by my PT then. To get me to my target weight I was eating every 3 hours with a big breakfast. But thinking about it, that could be why I'm now so strict on myself with timings. Maybe it's time to relax the meal plan a bit and see how I get on. Thanks.
  • radha401
    radha401 Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I love breakfast but not exactly at 9am or so. it may b at 10:30am or 11am and I skip my lunch because of it as I feel full by lunch time
  • ndj1979
    Options

total bro science….

Hmmm maybe I have been led down the bro science path by my PT then. To get me to my target weight I was eating every 3 hours with a big breakfast. But thinking about it, that could be why I'm now so strict on myself with timings. Maybe it's time to relax the meal plan a bit and see how I get on. Thanks.

well, just because someone is a PT does not make them versed in nutrition or science….hell, some PT's don't even seem to know what they are doing when it come to training < but that is just based on observations at my gym…

the eat every three hours thing is bro-science too. Meal timing for the average person, even the average person that is training, is pretty irrelevant. Now, if you are a sports or performance athlete, meal timing may have some importance…

• sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast. Even if it is just a banana. I used to not eat breakfast. When I hit menopause my metabolism STOPPED and even though I did not drink sodapop, I exercised and ate whole grains only I gained about 100 lbs. I went to weightwatchers and they said EAT BREAKFAST and EAT BACK YOUR CALORIES and low an behold, I started to lose weight. It is VERY VERY slow, but unless I eat breakfast and eat back some of my exercise calories I gain weight.

So as an older woman who used to skip breakfast to a younger woman I say: EAT BREAKFAST.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    My question would be why do you feel ill in the mornings? That issue aside skipping breakfast isn't a big deal. Eat when you like.

I'm not the OP, but I'm another person who always feels slightly ill in the mornings. I usually blame it on post-nasal drip, but I'm not sure that's the case. I'm not hungry for breakfast for quite a few hours after waking most days, and I'm much happier exercising on an empty stomach.

Just to throw personal experience into the discussion, eating early tends to make me hungrier throughout the day. A delayed breakfast seems to regulate my appetite better.

• ndj1979
    Options
    sus49 wrote: »
    Eat breakfast. Even if it is just a banana. I used to not eat breakfast. When I hit menopause my metabolism STOPPED and even though I did not drink sodapop, I exercised and ate whole grains only I gained about 100 lbs. I went to weightwatchers and they said EAT BREAKFAST and EAT BACK YOUR CALORIES and low an behold, I started to lose weight. It is VERY VERY slow, but unless I eat breakfast and eat back some of my exercise calories I gain weight.

So as an older woman who used to skip breakfast to a younger woman I say: EAT BREAKFAST.

your metabolism stopped, really? Did you put some jumper cables on it and give it a jump to get it started again?

Your metabolism NEVER stops…slows down through adaptive thermogenesis yes, stop, no.

wow, it really is new years on the forums…

• allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I like to have protein in the morning just to help with maintaining muscle but you don't have to
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

ORLY? Speaking as a menopausal woman with thyroid disease, chronic fatigue, and autoimmune arthritis ... I put on weight because I was eating more than I burned, not because I was eating breakfast close to lunch time. I still eat breakfast late, but I count my calories, and I'm losing weight.

When I eat my breakfast has NOTHING to do with my metabolism. My metabolic deck is stacked against me, but I'm eating at a deficit, and lo and behold, I'm losing weight.

• elphie754
    Options

No it didn't or you would be dead.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

No it didn't or you would be dead.

^This. Your metabolism isn't a switch to turn off and on. Stop reading magazines at the checkout line in the grocery store...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

As another menopausal woman that's lost over 120 lbs .. eat breakfast if you want and that helps you adhere to your plan, don't eat it if you don't want to. I choose not to and it works perfectly for me.

You gained 100 lbs because you ate more than you burned off. Stop using menopause as an excuse.
  • cheerio27
    Options
    you need to eat something , even if its something small, like a banana and have a lot of water
  • ndj1979
    Options
    cheerio27 wrote: »
    you need to eat something , even if its something small, like a banana and have a lot of water

why do you need to eat something for breakfast????????
  • elphie754
    Options
    cheerio27 wrote: »

why do you need to eat something for breakfast????????

I was wondering the same thing.