Runny nose when doing sport outside

Options
Hi!
I have started to do sport outside (running and cycling) and I have found out that everytime I do it, specially running, I have to stop because my nose runs and I can't breathe, even though I feel I could go on perfectly. Carrying a tissue is not very comfortable and sometimes it's not useful, since the snots are not very liquid..
Does anyone have the same problem? Do you know any temedy?
Thanks!

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I just do the good old snot rocket when I run. I never carry tissues because they get destroyed mid way through. I have more or less perfected it so that I don't get it all over me. No one is around when I do it so that they won't get hit with snot.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Alot more air is whizzing through your sinuses and your mucus membranes work extra because of it, It may be worse in cold weather because of the cold, dry air irritating your mucus membranes. It's your body working correctly and a lot of runners/cyclists suffer the same problem, just blow your nose properly and breathe carefully through your mouth if that doesn't sort it.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I use a wrist band made with knit material instead tissue. I like what lawkat said but I bet someone would see me doing that :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Very common problem and i don't think there's a remedy per se other than perfecting the art of the snot rocket. (Some days my nose runs faster than I do.....)

1) Shoulder check to make sure you don't have an audience (if you're squeamish about bodily functions)
    2) Compress one nostril and blow vigorously through the other
    3) Change sides & repeat.

One thing you will discover is that runners tend to develop a healthy respect for and lack of shyness about the things our bodies do, you'll see them squatting not so discretely to pee during a race, letting a fart rip during a run is commonplace and so on.......it's just your body being itself.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Easy. Look over shoulder make sure no one is in the vicinity, Blow it out.
    Or the more easier one wipe it to your t-shirt sleeve.

Can you run early mornings/late evenings - You have no audiences.
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Very common problem and i don't think there's a remedy per se other than perfecting the art of the snot rocket. (Some days my nose runs faster than I do.....)

1) Shoulder check to make sure you don't have an audience (if you're squeamish about bodily functions)
    2) Compress one nostril and blow vigorously through the other
    3) Change sides & repeat.

One thing you will discover is that runners tend to develop a healthy respect for and lack of shyness about the things our bodies do, you'll see them squatting not so discretely to pee during a race, letting a fart rip during a run is commonplace and so on.......it's just your body being itself.

Hilarious and so true!!! :D
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I find in the winter its simpler as I have gloves I can use to wipe my nose with and the help with the breathing I just open the thing slightly below the nose and use that! ;) lol