definition of lifting heavy

Options
Okay, serious question. I see "lift heavy" all the time. Just "start lifting heavy." Okay, what does that mean exactly? Does it mean immediatly pick up 100 pounds and lift until you can lift anymore, or does it mean work your way up? I'm pathetic, as I squatted 20 pounds. That's it. A 10 pound bar and a five pound weight on each end. I am super, super, super sore today. But I want the results I see these women with that do lift heavy. Can someone please enlighten me?

Replies

• chickadelta
    chickadelta Posts: 43
    Options
    if its as much as you can lift at this point - that is lifing heavy, the point is to keep making progress, e.g as soon as you can do something like 3x8 reps, put the weight up.

but i am no expert by any means
  • tgherpst
    tgherpst Posts: 1
    Options
    I would say heavy lifting is 70-80% of your maximum. How many squats at 20lbs can you do? If youre doing more than 12 (assuming 3 sets of 12), you're not lifting heavy. With heavy lifitng, you should be shooting more for 6-8 reps 3-4 sets AND feeling like you worked after each set!

My own example:

Dumbbell Bench Press
    Light lifing: 3x12 at 30-35lbs
    Heavy lifting: 3x6-8 at 45-50lbs

But be careful, the heavier you lift, the easier it is to lose form. So build up to heavier weights. Dont immediately start squatting 50lbs. You'll hurt yourself and start working other muscles to try to compensate for the bad form.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Okay, serious question. I see "lift heavy" all the time. Just "start lifting heavy." Okay, what does that mean exactly? Does it mean immediatly pick up 100 pounds and lift until you can lift anymore, or does it mean work your way up? I'm pathetic, as I squatted 20 pounds. That's it. A 10 pound bar and a five pound weight on each end. I am super, super, super sore today. But I want the results I see these women with that do lift heavy. Can someone please enlighten me?

Those women are on a program. That's the first place to start. Pick a lifting program - Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, etc.

The program tells you how much to lift (number of sets and reps) and what exercises to do on what days.

The only thing you have to figure out are your starting numbers. It's ok to start lower and work your way up. We all do that. Most people start with the bar and build their strength over time. We all have set backs, times when we have to deload (back the weights off), times when we can't make it to the gym. But the results you see are a culmination of work and effort over an extended period of time.

So start now. Pick a program and get to work :)
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to lift with correct form and then work on increasing the weight while maintaining form. Programs such as StrongLifts and Simply Shredded help guide you on when to incease the weights. New Rules of Lifting for Women is another that many people recommend.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relatve to the person. I started squats with 45 pounds and worked my way up to 115 pounds in 6 weeks by progressively loading more weight.

it is easy to increase weights every time with squats - but some other exercises take me a lot longer. Deadlifts, for example, are much harder for me because I have grip strength issues so my weight inreases with less frequency.

As a general rule, when you are just beginning, if you can do 15 reps fairly well but feel like you could do 2 more, then add weight and do another set of 15 after a rest period. After a month or two, when you add weight, do it with lower reps (Ideal to get to 8 reps - some people say 5 is best - but the same logic applies:if you can do 2 or 3 more, then add weight). Doing the higher reps for a couple of months (3 times a week) will improve ligament and tendon strength and help you avoid injury when you progressively load heavier.

Check out New RUles of Lifting for WOmen - it is a great instructional for beginners
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is find a program that sounds good to you. I love Stronglifts 5x5, have the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, and have heard great reviews on Starting Strength. The program will tell you what to lift, how many times to lift it, and how many times to lift each week. Otherwise it can be too overwhelming.

As women, we tend to think we are weaker than we really are. With lifting heavy, it isn't about doing as many reps as possible. It's about lifting as heavy as you can (with good form) for fewer reps. For example, Stronglifts 5x5 is only 5 reps for 5 sets. That's it. Monday I squatted 140 lbs. Not for 3 set of 20 reps. Just 5 reps, 5 sets.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relative. It's a technique, not a goal - you lift at a percentage (usually around 80-85%) of your 1-rep max (the most weight you can lift one time - which you usually figure out doing some sets and then using a chart). And then you keep doing that, but the numbers go up because you get stronger and your 1RM goes up, not because you're heading towards some magical number that equals "heavy".

And it goes up really fast at first because in the beginning you're doing things like teaching all your neurons to fire at the same time, so you really, really shouldn't worry about the weight you start at. You'll be surprised what your 1RM turns out to be after you've got the form down.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Good answers. Lifting heavy is doing it close to the limit of your ability. For Arnold bench pressing 200 lbs is not lifting heavy, for 5'4" 120 lbs Jane Doe next door 100 lbs likely is.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Those women are on a program. That's the first place to start. Pick a lifting program - Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, etc.

The program tells you how much to lift (number of sets and reps) and what exercises to do on what days.

The only thing you have to figure out are your starting numbers. It's ok to start lower and work your way up. We all do that. Most people start with the bar and build their strength over time. We all have set backs, times when we have to deload (back the weights off), times when we can't make it to the gym. But the results you see are a culmination of work and effort over an extended period of time.

So start now. Pick a program and get to work :)

This! Stronglifts is where i started. Spend some time watching videos to help with form and get that down before adding weight to the empty bar.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting is relative. What's heavy to one may not be to another.

I will say though that I have found lots of people who underestimate how much they can actually lift.

A good indicator if something is just about right for you is on the last 2 reps of any exercise, you make this horrid looking facial expression. That's how I gauge my clients and call it the "Ugly face".

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting basically in a nutshell means lifting an amount of weight you can only manage a single digit amount of reps of before you have to rest and end your set. It usually revolves around compound lifts, (multi joint lifts, such as squad and deadlift, which are staple exercises of any heavy lifting program), with isolation lifts (single joint, single muscle) only being used to supplement the compounds. These types of programs are typically done with the goal of seeing functional strength gains. Changes in body composition happen as a result of the nutrition habits you observe while following such a program.
  • chickadelta
    chickadelta Posts: 43
    Options

I will say though that I have found lots of people who underestimate how much they can actually lift.

A good indicator if something is just about right for you is on the last 2 reps of any exercise, you make this horrid looking facial expression. That's how I gauge my clients and call it the "Ugly face".

IDEA Fitness member

But I have the 'ugly face' before I even step into the gym! Does that mean I'm done? :-)
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Well, that's nice of you! lmao :laugh:
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    lifting is generally characterized by moving something from point A to point B (not being a smartass, stick with me).

lifting heavy implies you're doing the A-B, but to get results, you probably need to lift "manageable" weight with maximum muscle recruitment and with good control of the weight.

So, lifting heavy is relative to the focus and intensity you commit to getting from A to B, not necessarily on just the accomplishment of that task.

naturally a heavier load will require more intensity, better control, and will be harder to manage.

But I would say like..800...900? pounds is pretty heavy lifting...=P
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    It is indeed relative to YOU and YOUR strength. How much and how many reps all depends on your goals. If your goal is to gain strength, then a 5x5 (5 sets of 5 reps) with 80% of your 1 rep max (1RM) is the way to go. I HIGHLY recommend StrongLifts 5x5 (http://stronglifts.com/). It's a great beginner/intermediate lifter program and builds in a fairly quick progression schedule. Don't sign up for all the premiere crap, just get the free PDF booklet and follow it. If you have an iOS device there's a free SL5x5 app that tracks your sessions and has a built in 1.5 and 3 minute timer.

If you don't know what your 1RM is the simple way is to pick a weight you know you can do 1 rep easily, then add 5 pounds at a time until you can't even do a single rep. Make sure you have a spotter. Once you have your 1RM then subtract 20% (round down if you need to) and start with that.

However SL5x5 recommends starting with an empty Olympic (Oly) bar (45 pounds) for all lifts. The way SL5x5 works is, you do not progress until you can do a weight 5x5 completely. If you miss even one rep at a weight then the next session you STAY at that weight until you can do it 5x5. So if you have trouble with a 45# empty Oly bar then you stay with it until you can do 5x5. if it takes a couple weeks then so be it. The key is to start there.

As for soreness, do you take any supplements? I recommend BCAA's when doing any heavy lifting. it dramatically reduces soreness, speeds recovery and can give you a slight energy boost.

Oh one more thing... "lifting heavy" does not mean with machines. Free weights are the single best thing for building strength and balance. If you MUST use machines because of your gym, then so be it, but if you switch to free weights drop the weight by 20 pounds because lifting with free weights requires strong/conditioned stabilizer muscles (which you do NOT get with machines).

Hope this helps.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    OH and if you are going to do squats and deads... PLEASE LEARN PROPER FORM AND TECHNIQUE! Yet another reason to start with an empty Oly bar and work you way up. learn the proper form at low weights and you will progress faster and easier without injury. The last thing you want is a visit to Snap City.

YouTube Mark Rippetoe and watch his technique videos. Fixed so many of my problems.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This is so true. I started my squats in a tentative manner (8lb dumbbells. Is wuss) and found within two weeks that if I went until I couldn't go anymore I'd be at it all day. I did some lat pulldowns last week, thinking 70 was a good place (since I'd done 60 the week before but found it easy) and ended up stopping, moving up to 80, stopping and then moving up to 90. I was clearly underestimating what I could do, even after picking things up and putting them down for nearly three weeks.

TL;DR don't be afraid to go for it, so long as your form is good.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Like many others have stated "heavy" itself is relative. I've always used this method to gauge the "right" working weight: as much as you can lift, but struggle (without failing, and maintaining proper form) on your last few reps.