Heart rate mointor

lildebbie
lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a polar f7 and love it!!!

I want to get one for my husband for fathers day, unfortunately i don't have enought $$$ to spend of a polar like mine.

I have found this one
Timex Digital Fitness Unisex Heart Rate Monitor

has anyone had good/bad experiences with it. Looking at the reviews some people say it is great and some say the calorie burn is way way to hight (but of course i am not sure what that means, for this one person).

It is like 60.00 and I could do it...he really wants one

If anyone else knows of a good one that is realitviely inexpensive let me know.

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    i saw someone post that Sears had a Polar F6 HRM on sale for $54. That's the one I have (paid $80 on Amazon for it), and I love it so far.
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    I saw that post too and that's the kind of HRM I have and love it....here's the link to that post

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/99667-polar-f6-sale-question
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    I have the F6 as well and I really liked it when I used it. I haven't used it in a long time and the battery has died so I have to send the watch receiver off for a new battery but that will only cost me shipping & about $12 (I think).

I didn't look at the one you were talking about but one thing to think about is whether your husband is going to be using it around other people using monitors or around exercise equipment. The Polar F6 is the lowest you want to go on the Polars as that one was the first one to have the 'encryption' so it won't get interference from other monitors/equipment and thus give incorrect readings. (So no F5, F4, etc)
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    I HAVE THE TIMEX ZONE TRAINER.

It usually cost 65.45 - 100.00 on on amazon. Brand New. I like it.
  • lildebbie
    I saw that post on the ones at sears but they page doens't work any more :sad:

Good to know regarding the encryption...he will use it mainly at the gym.
  • lildebbie
    I HAVE THE TIMEX ZONE TRAINER.

It usually cost 65.45 - 100.00 on on amazon. Brand New. I like it.

Does it usally work okay in the gym?? Does the calorie calculation seem right??
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    As a heart rate monitor, it should be fine. However, as a calorie estimator, it has the potential to be little more than just a guess. There is no way to input VO2 max, which means they are using some type of "one size fits all" equation to estimate calories and giving arbitrary VO2 values to different percentages of maximum HR.

All HRMs are rough estimates when it comes to estimating calories, but, compared to the Polar F6 or above, this is a wilderness hike.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,499 Member
    sears has one Polar F4 hrm for sale $44.88. I think that is a great price. I have the polar F6 (bought it in Dec. for 50 dollars) and love it!!!

Good Luck girl :)
This discussion has been closed.