Well, now I'm just confused. >.<

Options
MzManiak
MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
Yes, I know it's been discussed to death. Sorry, if I am just not catching on. I've been here almost 2 weeks and at first MFP set my calories to 1200 to lose 1 pound per week. My goal is not really to lose weight, per say, but to lose about 3% body fat. I figured the only way to tone up was to cut down on the calories (and get some cardio & weights in there somewhere).

Then I read all this stuff about eating 1200 being bad for you... so, ok, maybe 1 pound per week is too much. Changed it to only 0.5 pound per week (the lowest setting not maintaining) and it was only 1240...

Whatever... Now I thought, well, I better calculate my BMR (1021) and my TDEE (or NEAT, I guess, since I'd rather calculate it using just my desk job and then eat the exercise calories when I get the chance to work out) which was only 1225.

Someone please give advice on what I should be doing. I just want to get rid of my baby fat and tone up!!
Thank you in advance! :drinker:

Replies

• Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    First off, you look great in your photo! My advice to you is to experiment with your calories. Try eating 1200 a day. Eat back some exercise calories if you work out. If nothing changes try eating 1300 a day. But please do not go any lower than 1200 a day or your body will retain fat and be in "starvation mode". I eat around 1300 if I don't work out or between 1300-1700 if I do and it works for me :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Where did you determine your BMR is 1021? That's ridiculously low. For your age, a 4'6 woman who is 85 pounds is above 1100.

What's your height/weight?
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Yea that BMR doesn't sound correct at all.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster - 1024 sounds really low for BMR. i am 5'2" and mine is 1303. My TDEE -13% is 2000 calories per day and that is what i eat to lose weight.

If you do it the NEAT way (I think this is the MFP method?) then make sure you eat back all of your exercise calories.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    If you are not trying to lose weight then I would eat at maintenance or slightly below and focus on heavy lifting.
    Your BMR and TDEE estimates sound low to me.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm 24, 5'4" and my BMR is over 1500. If you're only concerned about body fat and not weight, you can eat a LOT more and find a good heavy lifting program. That will give you the results you want.
  • MzManiak
    Options
    Where did you determine your BMR is 1021? That's ridiculously low. For your age, a 4'6 woman who is 85 pounds is above 1100.

Oh, thank goodness. See? I must not be doing something right. lol Currently 112.4 pounds/ 61 inches (5'1")
  • MzManiak
    Options
    Yeah I'm 24, 5'4" and my BMR is over 1500. If you're only concerned about body fat and not weight, you can eat a LOT more and find a good heavy lifting program. That will give you the results you want.

How do you find a lifting program? I would love to get into it... but have no idea where to start. I've hired PTs before, and they didn't seem to help much for the price.
  • Michaelsdin
    Michaelsdin Posts: 146
    Options
    Yea i would say work around 1300 calories with weight lifting and lite cardio? Not a fitness expert by no means but from what i read you gotta find the = medium that your body responds to.
  • Michaelsdin
    Michaelsdin Posts: 146
    Options

How do you find a lifting program? I would love to get into it... but have no idea where to start. I've hired PTs before, and they didn't seem to help much for the price.

bodybuilding.com top left corner pick a plan free personal trainers with usually good advice.
  • bonitacash08
    Options

I've read New Rules of Lifting for Women and the book was really informative but I found the workouts to be, well, involved. There are a lot of women who really love it though so it's definitely worth trying.

The program I'm currently following is Stronglifts 5x5. There's a group here for women following the program:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

and one of the members was so kind as to write out a summary of the plan here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Another one I've heard good things about is Starting Strength, another book.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

bodybuilding.com top left corner pick a plan free personal trainers with usually good advice.

This is a great site, I've heard great things about Jamie Eason's program. You could also look into New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Lifts.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight, you need to build muscle to replace BF. Eating at a deficit won't achieve that. Find a good lifting program and incorporate some cardio into your program.
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women is a really good program. I got it on my Kindle ... it gives you a good 6 month routine and a food plan. Good luck!
  • bonitacash08
    Options
    Your maintenance is between 1800 and 2200, depending on your activity level. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ is an AMAZING site that will help you figure out what your goals are.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    No, the way to tone up is to lift a bunch of weights. ;^)
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    For lifting, I just started Lift Like a Girl by Nia Shanks. She explains things really well. She has a website with a blog that has a couple beginner routines in it that could get you started.
  • SabrinaLC
    SabrinaLC Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Eat fresh whole foods, mostly plants. Drink lots of water.

Watch your sodium intake.
    Don't count calories unless you think you're eating too much. But 1200 may be fine for you. It depends on your body, metabolism and daily activity.
  • jennorris1991
    jennorris1991 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Great! I will be using this site! Thanks :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Oh, thank goodness. See? I must not be doing something right. lol Currently 112.4 pounds/ 61 inches (5'1")

Your BMR is somewhere near 1300.

Sedentary TDEE is around 1550.

If I were you, I'd set my calorie goal at 1250 and eat back exercise calories. Get at least 90 grams of protein and 35 grams of fat a day. Do Stronglifts 3x a week, some cardio 1-3 times a week. Done.