Sugar

Options
So...I saw another thing on here about a sugar addiction and tried to read it, but would have trouble following any of those tips. Here's why:
1)I live off sugar. Literally, if I tried to go Keto or cut sugar entirely out of my diet I would literally waste away since it's 90+% of my calorie intake many days
2)I am not trying to cut back on sugar for weight loss. I just don't wanna have the negative effects and really don't wanna get diabetes (might run in my family, I'm not sure though)

So...my question is. What do I do? I'm a vegetarian. I'm already very tiny and have a VERY limited number of foods I like. I don't eat most sources of protein (texture or taste issues) like tofu, beans, lentils, etc. Most of my protein comes from dairy, which I've recently had to cut back on due to finding myself having intolerances in too large amounts. To be honest, many days the only thing that really brings my calories up is a carb (like pasta) or pure and simple candy. I do try to eat fruits some, but again, I'm very picky and really only like melon, apple, strawberries, pineapple, and mango sometimes. Vegetables are worse with me only liking peppers, cooked broccoli (won't eat it raw), cucumbers (only on sandwiches), and carrots.

I don't like the way nutritional drinks taste and only like 2 brands of protein bars, so please don't suggest these as I've already tried them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,227 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sugar is not the devil. If you're looking to lose weight, don't worry about sugar. Just eat fewer calories than you burn. :)

Any 'negative effects' you're talking about that usually get blamed on sugar are usually actually due to being over-weight. Although I'm curious if you get the nutrition you need with so many issues with liking foods that would give them to you? Do you?
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    sk1nnyf0rm3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    Sugar is not the devil. If you're looking to lose weight, don't worry about sugar. Just eat fewer calories than you burn. :)

Any 'negative effects' you're talking about that usually get blamed on sugar are usually actually due to being over-weight. Although I'm curious if you get the nutrition you need with so many issues with liking foods that would give them to you? Do you?

Every blood test I get doesn't show any imbalances that I know of. In terms of muscle building and such, to be honest, I'm not sure. But I also know my body type is one that isn't gonna ever be really muscular and/or build muscle easily so I don't know that muscle building is even a good indicator. Either way, I've been this picky my entire life so I guess my body has learned to compensate (although I've also always been very tiny too)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What's your question again? Your skinny and you like sugar, are you looking to put on weight, what?
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options
    What's your question again? Your skinny and you like sugar, are you looking to put on weight, what?

I want to know how I can cut back on my sugar intake because right now it's probably about 90+% of my calorie intake which I know isn't healthy. I wanna know what I can replace it with though because I'm not looking to cut it out to lose weight so I still need to replace the calories
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Eat nuts. Other than that you need to work on your pickiness, perhaps with help from a professional.
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Eat nuts. Other than that you need to work on your pickiness, perhaps with help from a professional.

What type of professional? I've been to a nutritionist before and they just said the same thing you said, but gave very little help in what to try
  • yarwell
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Someone with the training and skills to help you increase the range of foods you eat, overcoming barriers.

Google "I'm feeling lucky" suggests http://treatingeatingdisorders.com/pickyeating.aspx as a for instance.

By "eat nuts" I'm suggesting you buy a pack of mixed nuts and eat about 10 as a snack, thereby increasing your non-sugar food intake.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

What type of professional? I've been to a nutritionist before and they just said the same thing you said, but gave very little help in what to try

Food aversions can often be treated with therapy. I have many, many myself - and it certainly makes staying healthy harder.

I wouldn't worry about sugar nearly as much as I would meeting my macronutrient goals (carbs, fat, protein).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Are you vegetarian for ethical reasons or other reasons?
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

A mixture. I don't like the taste or the ethics behind meat
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options

Food aversions can often be treated with therapy. I have many, many myself - and it certainly makes staying healthy harder.

I wouldn't worry about sugar nearly as much as I would meeting my macronutrient goals (carbs, fat, protein).

That's the thing. My macronutrients aren't being met
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options
    Someone with the training and skills to help you increase the range of foods you eat, overcoming barriers.

Google "I'm feeling lucky" suggests http://treatingeatingdisorders.com/pickyeating.aspx as a for instance.

By "eat nuts" I'm suggesting you buy a pack of mixed nuts and eat about 10 as a snack, thereby increasing your non-sugar food intake.

Isn't this just in kids? I'm not a kid anymore...but thanks anyway.

I'll try that on the nuts though
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

But you don't like vegetables. I'm gonna second the idea of going to see someone.
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options

But you don't like vegetables. I'm gonna second the idea of going to see someone.

Like a nutritionist?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Like a nutritionist?

Or a therapist. Or both.
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options

Like a nutritionist?

Or a therapist. Or both.

Why would I need a therapist for this?
  • yarwell
    Options

No it isn't just in kids, as you illustrate. You are exhibiting eating behaviour commonly seen and often corrected in kids but increasingly seems to persist into adulthood. It crops up on TV shows like "Supersize vs Superskinny".

You may not need a therapist - just eat the food you need to get your macros right. If you "can't" then you need the therapist.
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options

No it isn't just in kids, as you illustrate. You are exhibiting eating behaviour commonly seen and often corrected in kids but increasingly seems to persist into adulthood. It crops up on TV shows like "Supersize vs Superskinny".

You may not need a therapist - just eat the food you need to get your macros right. If you "can't" then you need the therapist.

Oh ok. I thought it was only in kids. Thank you for giving me more information
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I want to know how I can cut back on my sugar intake because right now it's probably about 90+% of my calorie intake which I know isn't healthy. I wanna know what I can replace it with though because I'm not looking to cut it out to lose weight so I still need to replace the calories
    There are pastas you can buy that taste just as good as any other pasta but have more fiber and more protein, Barilla Plus, for example, has 17 g of protein and 7 g of fiber in about 3.5 oz., an average serving. Cottage cheese is dairy but has lots of protein per serving, you can eat it with fresh berries you like and it tastes great without added sugar. I have recently found pancakes that taste just like any other pancakes but have 21-23 grams of protein per 1/2 cup if you make them with an egg and milk, I use Egglands best large eggs which have a bit higher protein, I found those at target and they rock, they are called Kodiak power cakes. I make the pancake, put some berries in a pan and warm them a bit and add 1 T of maple syrup, a reasonable amount but it is just right to pour over the pancake, it is SO good. I could go on and on and on. There are so many good things out there. I like to have some candy but not to the point of sacrificing my nutrition for it, meet some good nutritious macros first, then use the rest of your calories for candy if you want. If you like beans, throw some beans in your pasta, like pasta fagioli. Quinoa is a great thing to eat, good protein for your buck there too. Peanut butter, nutella, etc, put some on some celery or crackers, apple slices are really good with peanut butter. There are so many ways to get creative, search around on the web, there are sites that sell vegetarian items with protein that taste good, that you would not even realize had soy in it for example. I have right now in my cupboard high protein Thomas English muffins. You can make oatmeal high protein by adding things like milk instead of water or peanut butter. There are just tons of options out there, you just have to learn to get creative about it.

• sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options

There are pastas you can buy that taste just as good as any other pasta but have more fiber and more protein, Barilla Plus, for example, has 17 g of protein and 7 g of fiber in about 3.5 oz., an average serving. Cottage cheese is dairy but has lots of protein per serving, you can eat it with fresh berries you like and it tastes great without added sugar. I have recently found pancakes that taste just like any other pancakes but have 21-23 grams of protein per 1/2 cup if you make them with an egg and milk, I use Egglands best large eggs which have a bit higher protein, I found those at target and they rock, they are called Kodiak power cakes. I make the pancake, put some berries in a pan and warm them a bit and add 1 T of maple syrup, a reasonable amount but it is just right to pour over the pancake, it is SO good. I could go on and on and on. There are so many good things out there. I like to have some candy but not to the point of sacrificing my nutrition for it, meet some good nutritious macros first, then use the rest of your calories for candy if you want. If you like beans, throw some beans in your pasta, like pasta fagioli. Quinoa is a great thing to eat, good protein for your buck there too. Peanut butter, nutella, etc, put some on some celery or crackers, apple slices are really good with peanut butter. There are so many ways to get creative, search around on the web, there are sites that sell vegetarian items with protein that taste good, that you would not even realize had soy in it for example. I have right now in my cupboard high protein Thomas English muffins. You can make oatmeal high protein by adding things like milk instead of water or peanut butter. There are just tons of options out there, you just have to learn to get creative about it.

Thank you so much! This is so, so, so, so helpful (especially knowing where I can get it too). I really, really appreciate this. This is EXACTLY the type of response I was looking for