It's been a year!

Options
Yesterday marked the one year of actually giving a damn about my health.

A year ago I had just gone through a break-up. I wasn't exactly at my heaviest weight, but certainly not my lightest, and I was miserable. The buttons on my size 12 dress pants were threatening to pop off because they were under such strain. I had a small selection of clothes I could wear that hid the fact that my stomach hung over my pants in every direction, and even those didn't hide it well. I was lazy. I would go home, change into my pajamas and curl up on the couch in front of the tv or with a book. I was prediabetic from age 8, always overweight, and had virtually no self esteem.

I talked two of my coworkers into signing up for memberships at the Gilruth, a NASA center that the place I work for has a partnership with. Why I had never taken advantage of that before in my (then) eight years with my employer, I have no idea. I think the level of miserable I finally hit kicked my rear into gear.

A year ago, I wouldn't have believed that I would still be going. Hell, even my mother didn't believe it. I asked her to join the gym with me in the beginning, but she wasn't willing to pay when she didn't think I would keep up with it. I really don’t blame her – I talk big and I talked about losing weight often. About ten pounds down I had gone to see my gynecologist to see if there was anything he would recommend for me because of my issues with PCOS, but instead of getting any kind of answers, he said "good luck." Not in the supportive, kind way you would expect from someone with any kind of bedside manner, but with a "yeah, right" kind of tone. Then he proceeded to tell me that it would be the hardest thing I would ever have to do and though he has patients who could lose 15 pounds in a month, I would never be one of them. That physical or emotional trauma would make me lose weight, like a car accident or being stranded on a deserted island or (wait for it) being put in a concentration camp. Then he proceeded to tell me that I needed to go to the gym and while I was there, picture all of the things that I ate so that I knew exactly why I was there working so hard. Seriously? :noway:

Anyway, I'm posting in Motivation and Support instead of Success Stories for a reason – it’s been a year, but I'm nowhere near where I want to be. Yes, I've had success... but in the twelve months that I've been trying to get myself into shape, I spent six of those in what feels like a never-ending plateau with no change whatsoever (scale OR inches). But it’s been a year, and the wonderful people that I have met here (and those I casually stalk in the forums) have been huge motivators for me. I’m not where I thought I would be after a year of hard work, but seeing how far I have come is motivation for me to keep going and gives me the determination to finish what I’ve started.

My current routine is just that – routine. I do the same thing week after week and I think I am in need of a change if I want my body to continue to change. Right now I do an hour and a half on an adaptive motion trainer, two hours “shaking booty” in a dance class, three hours body pump, and one hour of kickboxing a week (on a good week). I'm looking into hiring a trainer for a few sessions so that I can get into lifting and make sure that I'm doing it right.

Onto the photos!

522996_3930774986961_1967331277_n_zpse82ce3f1.jpg
First pic taken May, 2012, second in December 2012

226742_1046896945610_791_n_zps2a5bdace.jpg
First pic, unknown date and probably my heaviest; second picture May, 2012; third picture in December 2012

20130530_093021-1_zps46a19939.jpg
Taken this morning. Sorry for the poor lighting and the scuffs all over the mirror. If I had thought about it at home I would have taken it there!

For potential FAQs:
-Start weight was 174, current weight is usually somewhere around 141, though I range between 139 and 147 pretty regularly with water weight (which to me is a bit extreme, but I don’t eat poorly enough to gain six pounds overnight, then drop it two days later).
-I’m 5’3”
-I wore XL tops and size 12 pants, now in M tops and 6 pants (though those also range anywhere from a 4 to a 9 depending on brand)
-I think my diary is open, but if you look at it you won’t get anything. I have a terrible habit of logging my food. I do overeat occasionally, but I’m usually pretty good. I’m hoping to get my butt back into gear and log more!

Thanks for listening!

Replies

• CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You look great,good job.
  • KristiCee67
    KristiCee67 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look amazing! I hope to be able to post something as wonderful in an year. :)

Kristi
  • keriberi9
    keriberi9 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Great job! Quite a change :)
  • Diyamommy
    Diyamommy Posts: 56
    Options
    You look awesome. Also if I were you I would go back to that stupid Gyno of yours and tell him who wrong he was
  • sam_the_wicked
    sam_the_wicked Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! You have done an amazing job! :O)
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Thank you, lovely people. :drinker:
  • kaseymei
    kaseymei Posts: 164
    Options
    Great work! You look awesome!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You look incredible! You and I had a similar start weight/finishing point so I know how hard you worked!
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Fabulous achievement! Looking great!:flowerforyou:
  • iplibrarian
    iplibrarian Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Quite an achievement!! :bigsmile:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You look amazing :flowerforyou:
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You look great. If you're looking into lifting start with something simple like Strong Lifts. There are a ton of youtube vids on how to perform the lifts properly. Start with just the bar and perfect your form. You won't need a trainer.
  • shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i love your story. but there are parts that i can tell... you still don't think as highly of yourself as you should! like saying you still have a lot of work to do and aren't close to where you want to be. GIRL! you look awesome!!! we will never think we are exactly where we should be. :) but you've kicked *kitten*!! you wear a size 6 and sometimes a size 4! :) i'm smiling while writing this btw... you should be so happy about what you've achieved! of course keep going... keep getting as healthy as you can. it's great for you. but yeah, you've done it! you are there! your thoughts about hiring a trainer to learn how to lift weights properly is a fantastic idea btw. i just finished my second week of weight training and omg... i wish i had started sooner! it feels amazing! i don't even care that i haven't dropped any weight in 2 weeks. my body looks so much better already and my clothes fit so well. anyway... great job!! and have fun with the rest of it!
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Wow! So beautiful! I hope the ex and gyno has seen you lately :happy: BAM! There is no sweeter revenge is there?
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Wow! So beautiful! I hope the ex and gyno has seen you lately :happy: BAM! There is no sweeter revenge is there?

The gyno's scale puts me ten pounds heavier than the one at home. I kind of want to chuck it out the window. :)
  • BillyD81
    BillyD81 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Look amazing!!!! Keep up the hard work
  • bluetrumpet01
    bluetrumpet01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You're doing amazing, keep up the great work!
  • ShyCush6
    ShyCush6 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Keep it up! You are doing great! Be proud of your accomplishments!! =)