Weights at home, w/o actual weights?

Options
I've been hearing alot about needing to do weight training on addition to cardio. I've got cardio covered I run outside or on treadmill and swim alot. I dont want to join a gym b/c I don't work out till about 8 at night, after my little one is in bed. So I don't want to be leaving house then to go to gym at that time.

Question? what can i do at home for weight training without having to go out and by dumbbells and weights?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness.com
    global bodyweight training.com
    uniquebodyweight exercises.com
    you are your own gym (YAYOG)
  • Lessthanpenguins
    Lessthanpenguins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Depending on what kind of weights and lifts you are looking for, you can find things to use around the house.

The gallon milk jugs filled with sand are about 14 pounds. You can add water on top of the sand and maybe add a few other pounds to that. The handles make some motions a little awkward but they can be used in a pinch.
    Body weight lifts are another good form of weight lifting that a lot of people overlook cause it will limit you at a point.
  • megggieee
    megggieee Posts: 1
    Options
    fill bottles with water or rice. A great website thats full of weight routines is fitnessblender
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    There's tons of bodyweight exercises that don't involve any additional equipment. Try pushups, chair dips (great for triceps), lunges, reverse lunges, squats, planks, yoga....
    You can also substitute weights with household objects. I used to do bicep curls with a liter of vodka before I got some weights!
  • melaniewest19
    Options
    Thanks ya;;, i saw a workout on nerdfitness im going to try tonight, with my vodka bottle ;)
  • asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    YouTube ZWOW; most of her workouts don't require equipment but are great, quick workouts.
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you have a kid then you have your early stage weight training in the bag....

Seriously...

Lie on your back lift child from chest up in the air. Hey presto bench press.
    Pick child up and lift into the air - Overhead press.
    lie child on the floor pick up and blow raspberrys on thier belly - deadlift (sort of)

get creative

The best parts are 1. they absolutly LOVE it. Best fun ever and 2. they keep getting heavier so the training is progressive.

Thats my top tip