Choosing the right weight

Options
I'm planning on getting some dumbbells for at-home workouts before I build up to barbells- what would be a good weight to start at for a 25/F who is relatively new to weight-training? I do some heavy lifting in my job if that matters.

Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    There is no general correct answer to this. It depends on your current strength, and the particular exercise. Spend a session starting light, and keep adding weight until it becomes difficult to hit the last rep in your target range. That will give you a good idea where to start on your next session.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter, you will outgrow your starting weight within a week. Get something adjustable.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I like dumbbell handles plus plates so you can add plates as you progress. I have some like this. They're nice because now I can use the same plates on a standard bar.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007WKK5HE/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?qid=1420238865&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70
  • Billhealth17
    Options
    I bought 5, 10 and 20 pound dumbbells. For each exercise I started with 2 sets of 10 Reps each. As it got easier, I increased the number of Reps. My goal was for muscle tone, not bulk.
  • DonT58
    DonT58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started weights that were real easy for me to complete 3 sets of 15. A few days later added additional weights and repeated that cycle until it became difficult to complete the 3 sets of 15. Then as it gets easier I add weight and the repeat the cycle. From experience it's best to start off easy and take a couple of weeks to work up.
  • scruff_farrier
    scruff_farrier Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever used those adjustable dumbells you can buy at dick's and other places? I have been considering getting a set, and might be the answer for her also?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you lift heavy things now, I'd just start with the barbell it's a better investment and you can build up on the left that matter.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever used those adjustable dumbells you can buy at dick's and other places? I have been considering getting a set, and might be the answer for her also?

I started with a pair of 45 pound adjustable dumbbells from Ironmaster. Brought them on Craigslist. I didn't know if I would stick to weight lifting so figured I would start light with minimal investment. I enjoyed it and had to double the weight, for the heavier lifts (squats, deadlifts and calf lifts) within a couple months. So I purchased the 45 pound add-ons on Craigslist. Again on the heavier lifts I will probably outgrow these relatively quickly. I love my ironmasters but will probably have to eventually switch to a barbell and rack. Looking on CL now.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I bought 5, 10 and 20 pound dumbbells. For each exercise I started with 2 sets of 10 Reps each. As it got easier, I increased the number of Reps. My goal was for muscle tone, not bulk.

:no_mouth:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Also yes ^^

Bulk requires dedicated lifting and a constant calorie surplus. It doesn't happen over night or by accident.
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My goal was for muscle tone, not bulk.
    this always makes me laugh, building "bulk" either take years of hard work, or androgenic drugs or a combination of the two.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    If you lift heavy things now, I'd just start with the barbell it's a better investment

Absolutely agree.

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    10 lbs
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    KingRat79 wrote: »
    this always makes me laugh, building "bulk" either take years of hard work, or androgenic drugs or a combination of the two.

Or being young and eating a lot and lifting a lot. At 23 I've made stupid gains without drugs or years of training.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    KingRat79 wrote: »

Or being young and eating a lot and lifting a lot. At 23 I've made stupid gains without drugs or years of training.

Being a male in his late teens / early twenties makes you practically on the juice. Enjoy it while it lasts :-D