Probably a stupid question but... logging food that's already been cooked?

Options
Hi y'all.

So, normally, when I'm cooking my chicken, I weigh it prior to cooking. I actually weigh it the day I get the package and then put it in individual baggies in the freezer, but I digress.

I went out to dinner tonight, and obviously, I didn't have the chance to weigh the chicken before it was cooked. The weight when they brought it out to me, however, was 3.5 oz. I've tried googling to see if there's a conversion rate, but I'm just not finding it, so any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't attempt to convert, I'd just look up the USDA entries for cooked chicken, it's probably already in the MFP database.
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/

If you went to a restaurant, is their menu/nutrition info available?
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    You might just have to guesstimate. Just from experimentation, about 4-5 oz of chicken breast (uncooked) correlates to 3-4 oz cooked, but it varies a lot depending on fat content and cooking method.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can use a 'cooked' data. Just search for 'chicken cooked', there should be a MFP entry for that (without asterix) or just do 'chicken cooked usda'.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    You can probably find an entry on MFP for "chicken, cooked" or "chicken breast, cooked" depending on what part of the chicken you ate, if it had skin, etc. You can always Google cooked chicken nutrition or check http://nutritiondata.self.com/.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Not at all a stupid question -- a fairly complex one, though. For some things, you'll find both cooked and raw versions in the database but you have to take what you find with a grain of salt since so many entries are based on how a particular person cooks something. If I were you, I'd search this forum for 'logging cooked food' and you'll find lots of answers to folks wrestling with this and similar dilemmas. You can also search 'chicken cooked' in the database and see if you pull up anything useful for you. At the end, you may just have to go with a best guess.
  • travie__b
    travie__b Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the suggestions! I appreciate them!