Need Exercise Advice

Options
Reeree72
Reeree72 Posts: 15 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I am here again after gaining 10 of the 42 pounds I initially lost with this app. I noticed that I was losing the weight, my stomach didn't budge. Naturally, I felt and looked thinner (not that I'm thin at all). My stomach seemed to become an issue. Even at my pre weight loss weight, I never had a large waist. Seems like with my weight loss, I gained a belly. Some would say that it was always there (and that because of my size before losing the weight), it just looks like it's bigger. I'm telling you that is NOT the case. I literally now have a big belly and I've never really had a big stomach. My question is, if ab exercises work, which ones do I start off with? Am I wasting time? I am a 42 year old female who's having to start exercising again. I was always told that crunches only tighten the muscles under the fat. I'm not looking to have a flat stomach, just want to know if I have the capability of getting rid of some of it with ab exercises?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Ab exercises are not going to make your stomach smaller. They will increase abdominal strength and can help build abdominal muscle. But if you have a large belly you either have fat there or you are bloated. Chances are it's fat and you are a person who loses belly fat last.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as spot reduction exercises. You just have to lose the fat, sorry to say.
  • gummy2790
    gummy2790 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    First of all well done on losing the 42 pounds! And unlucky that you gained 10 pounds of it back! But you will lose it again, if you can lose 42, 10 shouldn't be a big hike ☺. Yes same as the comments above ab exercises only strengthen the abdominal wall. The only way to lose the belly is more cardio of different forms and intensities and as you already know nutrition and calories in vs calories out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    WTG on 42 pounds! You can't spot reduce, you need to just keep going and it will come.
  • Reeree72
    Reeree72 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies. I am just so disgusted with my belly and not sure where to start. I used to wear the Gold's Gym band while doing light cardio and it did help. Just not sure if I want to subject myself to the tight and uncomfortable feeling that comes with it. I'm assuming planks are probably the better way to go right now along with cardio. At this point, I will try anything. As everyone can see in my profile pic (after losing weight), you don't see much of a stomach. Well, that's no longer the case. Thanks again MFP family. Any other comments or suugestions are still welcome.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Follow the usual fat-loss plan of a calorie deficit. Full-body strength training is a good idea, to maintain a high metabolism.
  • WorkoutWithLaurie
    WorkoutWithLaurie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have you had a physical recently? If not you probably should. Also consider cutting out wheat for one month and see if that helps.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I will second the suggestion for a physical. Persistent bloating can be a symptom of serious illnesses such as ovarian cancer. Hopefully it's just fat but it may be worth it to be checked out.