Same Old Boring Meals

Options
I am looking to add some variety to my menu. I am trying to keep my carbs low. Please give me some ideas for lunch and dinner that are kinda quick. I keep 1500 calories a day.

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Wrong plan for you if you're bored. Remember that this is way you should eat for LIFE. If you don't, then it's not a lifestyle change, but just another diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I take a bunch of cilantro, lime juice, and jalapeno and add it to the blender with some water, salt and olive oil. Pour that over a salmon fillet. Broil on low for about 15 mins or when done and put over a bed of greens (arugula tastes great with it.) Add some fresh avocado slices. Good to go.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I love making casseroles. You can get tons of veggies in there and they are delicious. I mix rice, beans, veggies and fresh herbs together and stuff bell peppers with it. Delicious!
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Go to the library. Ask someone to help you find the cookbook section. Check out cookbooks with "low-carb," "quick," "weekday," "easy," etc. in their titles. Flip pages until you see something that makes you excited.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    There are a huge variety of options out there for a healthy lifestyle. Buy some foodie magazines that include nutritional information for the recipes and start clipping. Plan your weekly menu in advance around your calorie goals. Try new things. If you don't like something, don't make it again. If you like something, put it in the file to be used again. We call those do-overs. Once you've built up a file of about 30-40 recipes, start rotating through them, adding and removing recipes here and there to keep the variety going.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    There are some awesome recipes and creative ideas at this blog: www.kalynskitchen.com. She focuses a lot on South Beach Diet friendly foods (aka. lower carb). I love it. It helps shake me out of my same-old-food-funk.
  • amandamotley
    Options
    I eat 1500 cals, look at my food diary. I do lots of crock pot cooking. shredded bbq pork loin, chicken salad made in crock pot, shredded beef, things like that are my staples.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com is an excellent website.
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    I make salsa chicken in the crockpot, usually about once a week. One pound of breasts. Season with onion powder, cumin, some salt, pepper, add a can of green chiles and about 3/4 cup of salsa. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8. Shred with forks. Use for burritos, sandwiches, add to Lean Gourmet meals which are tasty but short on chicken.

I like to make sort've a Cordon Bleu type sammie with 2 ounces chicken, slice of low fat swiss cheese and a thin slice of deli ham.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have been making a lot of recipes found on cookinglight.com lately. So far they have all been a succuss. You can also filter your search to your taste, and or what type of diet you are following.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Do you ever use Pinterest? There are so many recipes on there. Here is my page for some ideas. I have some recipes and also a bunch of great websites with recipes you might like.
    http://pinterest.com/bizzokiki/boards/

These sites tend to be low carb but don't go too low carb, you need them for energy:
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/

Oh and just clicking on people's food diaries on MFP can give you great ideas too.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I make salsa chicken in the crockpot, usually about once a week. One pound of breasts. Season with onion powder, cumin, some salt, pepper, add a can of green chiles and about 3/4 cup of salsa. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8. Shred with forks. Use for burritos, sandwiches, add to Lean Gourmet meals which are tasty but short on chicken.

I like to make sort've a Cordon Bleu type sammie with 2 ounces chicken, slice of low fat swiss cheese and a thin slice of deli ham.

Yum! Its only 9:30 am and I'm ready for lunch now!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Fajita flank steak roulade

Saute peppers and onions

butterfly a flank steak

roll with veggies and cook
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    1. Look in your pantry/fridge for some nutrient dense ingredients (chicken, beans, brocoli, fish, etc.)
    2. Google the ingredients you wish to use and a random country. (I.E. "chicken mushroom thai" or "turkey brocoli mexican")
    3. Try the first recipe that pops up.

Sometimes it will work splendidly. Other times it will fail miserably. At no time ever will it be boring.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tlpearson67
    tlpearson67 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great ideas. Thank you. I am creating a weeks menu of all new stuff!
    :smile:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Wrong plan for you if you're bored. Remember that this is way you should eat for LIFE. If you don't, then it's not a lifestyle change, but just another diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Maybe it's because of a lack of variety and know how to introduce variance not a restrictive "diet"
  • anyamb
    anyamb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I really like recipes from Eating Well the magazine. They feature a ton of their recipes for free on their website, eatingwell.com. They aren't exclusively low-carb (though there is plenty of that), but the recipes all list nutritional info and the estimated amount of time it takes to make them. In my experience, their time estimates are on the generous side too.

I've only encountered one dud recipe since I started trying them last fall: the Scallop and Pepper Tacos from the current issue.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I am looking to add some variety to my menu. I am trying to keep my carbs low. Please give me some ideas for lunch and dinner that are kinda quick. I keep 1500 calories a day.

Many thanks in advance.

* Pan seared or grilled salmon with zucchini pisto
    *Curried mussels and Chicken Meatballs
    * [Your favourite fish] with lentils with a drizzle of basil oil.
    * Grilled pork with [stone fruit] served with a herb puree or pesto
    * Pork chops [brined] served on a bed of spaghetti squash or spiralized zucchini.
    * A possible breakfast - open face sandwich: Flax bread with sauteed mushrooms[then simmered in some mushroom + meat stock] and topped off with a poached egg.

ETA: Typo