High blood pressure, weight problems and PCOS! Oh my!

Options
Well, it's that time of year again. Here I am, jumping on the bandwagon of "new year, new you!" A phrase I've grown to know and hate. The phrase itself sets you up for failure. The 20 expectations you swear to hold yourself to, only to fail and feel even worse about yourself. HOWEVER, this year is different. This year, I’m optimistic. I have promised myself that this is the year for a change. I am young, but I’m not getting any younger. I've finally understood that it's not just about looking damn good in those jeans. Unfortunately, it has taken me a year of poor health to realize this. I am 26 years young and I’m on my way to a very unpromising future. I have hypertension blood pressure, overweight and PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). Wait. Let me be honest. I am way past hypertension. Not medicated, my blood pressure has been as high as 191/111.

I've had high blood pressure for several years and have been taking medicine since I was probably about 19. Yes, slightly elevated blood pressure runs in my family but I am way past slightly elevated. In 2013, my boyfriend and I had started trying to have a baby. A year later and no baby, I tested positive for PCOS. PCOS is an imbalance of hormones in a woman’s body (causes reduction of menstrual cycles, weight gain, acne facial and body hair growth- OH JOY!). Typically women who test positive for PCOS have trouble ovulating, which was proven to be true for me as well. My doctor said that losing just 5 lbs helps improve chances of conceiving. Well, I have more than 5 lbs to lose! I was prescribed ovulation medicine (Chlomid) from my OBGYN but was told that I had to change my current blood pressure medicine (Lisinopril), as it could cause birth defects. My primary doctor decided to take me off blood pressure medicine altogether, which was when my blood pressure sky rocketed. I am now on another blood pressure medicine but it’s just not as effective. Today, my blood pressure was 171/112. Scary.

I’ve been having headaches almost every morning. I always thought it was from sleeping too much (crazy, I know!). Well, I Googled it and pretty much confirmed it was hypertension headaches that I am having (pain behind the eye, headaches occurring in the morning).

For a long time, my ultimate goal was to get pregnant. But recently, I’ve re-consider. At my current state, I don’t think I’m healthy enough to carry a child. Pregnant women tend to develop hypertension. Since I already have hypertension, I can already see me being a high risk pregnancy and put on bed rest very early in. Not an ideal pregnancy.

I’m posting this blog for a couple of reasons. It would be great to connect with others who have high blood pressure and/or PCOS. Also, this blog will serve as a reminder. Anytime I’m tempted to drown myself in food, I’ll come back and read this to remind myself of my ultimate goal. It’s no longer about dieting to look skinny. It's about starting a family. It’s about not having a heart attack before I’m 30 years old. It’s about a lifestyle change that I am forcing myself to make.

Replies

• szunabrina
    szunabrina Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can !
    Good luck ! !!!
    I have pco too and I know we can get better ! !
    Did you try liw-carb? I read it's perfect for pco
  • Becoming_Jaie
    Becoming_Jaie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You know what? I know exactly where you're coming from. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 15 and never blinked an eye, never gave it a second thought until I was in my twenties. Then I got married and wanted a family. I did four rounds of Clomid - four times. We had five miscarriages. Then we decided it was okay. Get healthy, enjoy each other and this wonderful life we have.
    - I lost twenty pounds just riding my bike. Now I'm 29 and we have the most darling little girl. Losing the weight, even just a bit, might really do it for you. Good luck!
  • GoldaTyla
    GoldaTyla Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good luck and best wishes.
  • Ralaun
    Ralaun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    U can do it! We're all here to support each other! I have very high blood pressure also. It runs in my family, but my weight just makes it much worst. I take 3 different medications for it. I'm starting the low carb diet tomorrow to see how that works out. U should check it out too
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Good luck with everything!!!! You can do it :)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I also had a health scare back in June, and since then I've lost about 45 lbs. Still a long ways to go, but already feeling much better in many different ways. I think you are on the right track!
  • TDTheisen
    TDTheisen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    JaieBird wrote: »
    You know what? I know exactly where you're coming from. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 15 and never blinked an eye, never gave it a second thought until I was in my twenties. Then I got married and wanted a family. I did four rounds of Clomid - four times. We had five miscarriages. Then we decided it was okay. Get healthy, enjoy each other and this wonderful life we have.
    - I lost twenty pounds just riding my bike. Now I'm 29 and we have the most darling little girl. Losing the weight, even just a bit, might really do it for you. Good luck!

• TDTheisen
    TDTheisen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also PCOS. I was diagnosed at 18 and an now 47. It is a ride for sure. The one suggestion I can make that helped me is a low carb diet because those with pcos tend to be insulin resistant. Keep up the good work. You will start feeling better soon when you get weight off! Good luck. :)
  • tidi16
    tidi16 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I have both PCOS, Hbp and now threats of diabetes are looming about.1st was the PCOS n I was 25 wen I found out, Hbp about 5 years ago, I'm 38 and thouh I hav never tried 4 a bby, I know I want to have one sometime soon. Nw I'm told I hv a non alcoholic fatty liver disease (caught early so no symptons). I consulted with a doctor friend who told me all these are connected, ultimately leading to diabetes(avoid it like a plague were his words), from PCOS. This is y I joined my fitness pal, coz it's not too late when things are caught early. It can all be reversed (the Hbp) with changes in lifestyle, exercise n weigh loss which focuses on losing fat, gaining muscle n lots of water. I saw it work for a some else, he focused on loosing fat n gym in 3 months lost about 20% of fat n was taken off his Hbp pills. I know we r not the same, BT it gives hope.

My goal is to go off the Hbp pills by shedding fat, loosing minimum 20kg/22lbs by end of yr, BT the focus will be on the fat n not the kilos.once achieved I will revisit the board.

All the best to you, you can do it, it shall be done, it is done! Just believe