Switching from losing to maintaining your weight

Options
2»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I had a 5 pound target I was looking for. I celebrating hitting the top but kept on the 500 calorie deficit until I hit the bottom. I was losing very slowly at that point. Then I upped by 250 and saw what that did. I wanted to bounce around every day like I do and stay within that 5 pound range.

BTW, my weight has stayed stable for 3 years and I have lost a lot of fat and gained a lot of muscle during that time.

Good reply and good to know ☺
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I decided to start maintaining at a BMI of 22 because I liked the way I looked. I kept working out though because I knew I still had some jiggly areas that could go. BUT...when I got to maintenance, I stopped logging, and with life getting busy - I wasn't working out as much, wasn't as hungry and skipped meals. I dropped to a BMI of 21 and lost a cup size of my boobs.

I liked having boobs!

That's when I decided I needed to ACTIVELY maintain. Not just for weight loss, but in the hopes of regaining/maintaining boobage.

• juliemarie422
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    No. You need to change it manually by entering a new goal of 0 pounds/week gained and lost.

Thank you.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'm not really sure if I have lost enough? I've gone from 90kg I've just hit 70 kg and I'm 168cm which makes me just in the normal weight area for bmi but not sure what is an ideal weight for me personally.... I don't know whether I should push myself harder to lose a bit more or just maintain where I am...

I suppose how did you know what your ideal weight was? what made you choose your target weight? Did you keep going till your weight stopped coming off? Or were you happy at a certain weight?

Ah well this clears it up quite a bit. You can easily lose more if you are in the mood for it. My target when i started was about halfway into my healthy weight range. In the healthy weight ranges, you won't look at your best. I've still got plenty of flab and i'm three kilograms below my top HWR.

I like being in the middle. I look pretty good. Not super skinny but pretty good indeed. However, i find that hard to maitain wihtout exercise and effort so i have relaxed and settled for a bit more flab. I still look fine in most of my clothes. Not so great in a bikini but not downright embarassing.

Keep going until you get sick of it or like it where you find yoruself. Don't hang out at hte top end becuase when you stop restricting, it will be the ongong battle of stabilising your weight and its good to avhe a bit of room to move without panic.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    For me, my original target weight was 150. I lowered it to 135 because I still wasn't happy at 150. I'm at 139 now and I am hoping that 135 will be good because I still am not happy at 139, but I can go down to 125 at the least and not be in the too low weight on the BMI scale. I'm 5'9.

At 5'9", 129lbs is the low end of "healthy" BMI for small-framed women. 125 is low. My teenaged daughter, who still lacks curves of any sort, is 5'9.5" and around 125 lbs (which is 29th %ile BMI for girls her age). Given that, I can only imagine a full grown woman of the same height and weight would look too thin.

• ellisboyd1
    ellisboyd1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is what I asked myself when I reached my target weight:

a) Am I a healthy weight?
    b) Am I happy with what I see in the mirror?

When the answer to both of those was yes, I maintained.

If you're a healthy weight, but not happy with how you look, it could just be that you need to do weights & cardio rather than lose more weight.