HELP

sunnydelight
sunnydelight Posts: 1
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys, I'm about to leave for a full summer working at a camp. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I can keep myself on track while I am there because I won't be able to attend a gym and I pretty much have to eat what they give me, while taking care of 12 children the whole time...? And does anyone have tips on how to start taking up running, so that I like it?

Replies

• emmaldownie
    emmaldownie Posts: 232 Member
    Taking care of 12 children, I reckon you'vre pretty much got your exercise under control :laugh:
  • txcwgirl
    txcwgirl Posts: 127 Member
    First of wow for wanting to take care of 12 kids, that should be exercise in it's own right. Second, I remember having a lot of fruit at camp when I went there. Try just watching your portions and eating lots of fruit and salads. you could also take your own snack bars with you and keep them in your locker away from the bug and animals. for the running try the Couch25K program, just google it our search for info here on the boards.

Good Luck.
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    If you haven't done much running yet, I'd say one of the most important things to do is find a good pair of running shoes. Don't skimp on $--you want some shoes that will provide good support and cushioning from all the high impact of running.
    Also, as you begin, don't push yourself too hard.
    What I've been doing is going out 3-4 times a week for 30-40 minutes. Warm up with brisk walking for 5-10 minutes, and then alternate walking a couple of minutes with jogging for a couple of minutes. Do this for 10-20 minutes, and then cool down with more walking. Gradually work up your jogging time, and as your endurance increases, you can start thinking about increasing your speed, distance, etc.
    Also--stretch, and pay attention to how your knees and shins feel. If something feels wrong beyond regular muscle/joint soreness from a new workout, remember RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. If that doesn't help, don't be afraid to visit a doctor to make sure you're not actually injuring yourself.

All this is coming from a beginning runner, too--I'm taking it fairly easy so that I don't burn myself out and end up hating running! I'm listening to my body and challenging myself when I feel ready for it. My endurance is definitely increasing, and at this rate I think that within a few weeks I'll be able to run for 30 minutes straight.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.